Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Greg A. Bedard @GregABedard
    Ed Reed: "Would I play for Coach Belichick? Yes. What football player wouldnt? Will I be in New England? Most likely not. ...

Greg A. Bedard @GregABedard
    ... It's just terrible that people get half the story. But it comes with it."

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    I'm pretty sure he would, but he's in the SB. He wants the focus for him to be the SB.

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    I agree with all you guys about teaching the young guys. He's the intimadator that we need in our secondary and make those young guys better. I would love to see reed in NE next year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole.World.9.27 View Post
    Brady is not a difference-maker or a playmaker. He's a product of the system who happens to play the QB position.

vCash
    My roomate is a Balt Ravens fan and he gets the nfl package or whatever so I watched about 6 Ravens games..

He still has PLENTY left in the tank and is very much an above average player, will he give you what '04 rodney harrison did? No

However My eyes tell me he can give 80% to what harrison did and AV shows the same story (Rough guage).

Harrison '04 AV- 12
    Reed '12 AV- 11

Now, He is ageing and coming off a 20 game season..However, I think he'll outdue any harrison season he had yr quite easily except harrisons '03 and '04 seasons and will come somewhat close to his '04 yr.

vCash
    Please give 20 million per year to Flacco Baltimore.

vCash
    http://www.nepatriotslife.com/2013/0...ts-rumors.html

Poo

but yes, give Flacco 20M...doooo eeeet

#BostonStrong

vCash

would you like to see the pats sign ed reed?

I dont care who your safeties are if you can get Ed Reed on your team you do it. His presence on the field immediately makes any defense better, even if its for just a year it's worth a shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrianscal View Post
    I dont care who your safeties are if you can get Ed Reed on your team you do it. His presence on the field immediately makes any defense better, even if its for just a year it's worth a shot.
    Yeah 35 years old in September is a great gamble for us! Rodney who is everybodies favorite comp was here so young, he turned 31 in his first December. By age 33 he was toast.

Ed Reed for short money? Fine. Ed Reed for stupid money? No thanks.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    ed reed is still the best safety in the league and its not even close. he would be great on pats, but at a reasonable price. he would fill a huge need. i wouldn't mind jairus byrd either

He’s as close to Joe as anyone I’ve ever seen.”
    —NFL legend Bill Walsh

"It's a chess match because he understands every coverage, he understands every defense. And if you give it away too early, then the game is like checkers for him. He plays it how he wants to play it. ... And that's what makes it frustrating playing against him. He always finds those mismatches."

Ray Lewis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Yeah 35 years old in September is a great gamble for us! Rodney who is everybodies favorite comp was here so young, he turned 31 in his first December. By age 33 he was toast.

Ed Reed for short money? Fine. Ed Reed for stupid money? No thanks.
    I wouldn't consider signing Ed Reed a gamble. There's no point in comparing him to Rodney Harrison, completely different rules nowadays in the NFL, especially for safeties.

Ed Reid would be a welcome sight in New England!
    If Sullinger ever finishes an NBA season in the top 75 in Win Shares, I'll quit the forum.
    ^^ Deal taken! ^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan2007 View Post
    I wouldn't consider signing Ed Reed a gamble. There's no point in comparing him to Rodney Harrison, completely different rules nowadays in the NFL, especially for safeties.

Ed Reid would be a welcome sight in New England!
    By all means check out the quality of play of FS his age and older - game played, snaps taken, and AAV. Rule changes mean nothing in terms of damage accrued to date.

I'm not sure where you have been, but Reed's game has been declining since 2008, he's not the same guy as then, and never will be again, here or anyplace else.

Ed Reed would have been knockdown welcome in 2008 or before. Now I am afraid there is cost/benefit analysis that has to take place - his cost, changes in the secondary to support that (McCourty likely back to CB or perhaps SS). More bench time for our other FS's.

It isn't a simple plug and play move, I figured you would have figured that out.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsRsnitchaz View Post
    ed reed is still the best safety in the league and its not even close. he would be great on pats, but at a reasonable price. he would fill a huge need. i wouldn't mind jairus byrd either
    Ridiculous, Reed is the smartest S perhaps, but on the field play in and play out? NFW, not anymore.

vCash
    No to Reed.

#1. We've got a FS, he's our best S, and he's good, if not great. We also have two other safties who seem to be more FS or combo S's, but not SS's. So in terms of need, he's not a good fit.

#2. Our only true SS is oft injured and appears gone, unless he signs a min deal and accepts he's a goal line in the box, no cover S only. If not, and even if so - we need a SS we can depend on, not what Reed brings.

#3. Ed Reed will not be the next Rodney Harrison. Ed Reed is a better football player then Rodney career wise and that's saying something. But, Harrison didn't turn age 31 until December of his first year here. Reed will be turning 35 in September. Rodney started going down the tubes at age 33 and he was never the same. Reed peaked out in 2008 - a long time ago.

#4. Even given all that, if Reed wants to come for short money, you make room for him, but if he wants say $10M for two years, with half up front? No.

Could have had him in 2002 with our #1 pick instead of Graham... ouch.
    I both agree and disagree with this. I'll start with where I agree, I looked up some of Reed's statistics on Pro Football Focus and his tackling and run defense are both below average. He could make up for that if he was a top level cover safety but he's not. His coverage numbers were around average for the 80+ safeties who played over 50% of their' teams snaps. He still has very good ball skills as he had 4 INTs and 7 passes defensed but the Pats don't necessarily need that, especially with McCourty at the other safety spot. So at this point, Reed has become overrated. While he might help in coverage, is he good enough in that area to make up for his lack of run defense? It doesn't look like it.

However, where I disagree with you is that I don't think our safety opposite McCourty- be it Gregory, Chung or whoever else- is good enough. The Pats were strong against the run this year and McCourty is one of those great all around safeties who can play either SS or FS IMO (i.e. he's good against the run). So I think if necessary, he could move over to SS. However, I do believe that in this pass happy league, having 2 safeties back there who can cover will help. McCourty is a good run defender as well, so I don't think it'd hurt the run D. Then when you consider we have Wilfork and maybe the best run stopping LB core in the league, I don't think our run D would take much of a hit.

The reason I'd like another safety is because I think we need someone who can cover TEs and RBs. So we need a coverage LB (or one of our guys has to develop further) and I think a Safety who can cover as well.

Per Football Outsiders:
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef#defvsrec

As you can see there, the Pats struggled covering TEs and RBs. While we ranked 30th in covering "other WRs", that was a problem that was mostly fixed when we moved Arrington to the slot. And of course, our inability to cover TEs reared its ugly head in the Championship game with Pitta scoring a TD and gaining 55 yards. In 2 games against us this year, he had 10 catches for 105 yards and 2 TDs. We probably win either game if we have someone capable of covering him. And of course, that's not just limited to the Ravens, per FO, we struggled against TEs all year (even Owen Daniels had 9 catches for 81 yards the week before against us).

Usually teams will put a Safety or a LB on a TE with another LB getting the coverage against RBs. As an example, again using that AFC Championship game, per Pro Football Focus- Pitta was targeted 7 times in that game with Spikes in coverage once, Hightower in coverage once, Mayo in coverage twice and Gregory in coverage against Pitta 3 times. Pitta's numbers against Gregory- 2-3 for 22 yards and a TD allowed. Gregory in that game also gave up a 15 yard reception to Rice and a 17 yard reception to Leach. To say he was not good in coverage in that game would be an understatement. He was one of the problems.

Anyways, while I realize thats only 1 game, again, we had issues covering RBs and TEs all year and often, the guy who is tasked with covering one of those positions is Gregory. Unless Tavon Wilson can make a significant jump in year 2, I think we need to replace Gregory with someone who is better in coverage.

Is Reed that guy? From the looks of it, no. Although, he does have good ball skills, his coverage abilities this year weren't that great. If he took a pay cut to join the team, sure. But if he's going to cost decent money, I'd pass and look for another safety.

As a team, there's a lot of decisions to be made for the Patriots. Do they franchise Welker or let him walk? The same goes for Talib and Vollmer. And how do we prioritize Welker, Talib, Vollmer vs. getting a LB and/or Safety who can cover RBs and/or TEs? And of course, what is the trickle down effect of letting Talib go? There's no doubt Arrington can't be on the outside and we really can't be in a situation where he's 1 injury away from being on the outside. Dowling will be back but can he be counted on to stay healthy? On offense, do we have to worry about injury prone TEs costing us playoff games? And if so, should the Pats then value Welker's ability to stay healthy by franchising him?

I think this will be a very interesting offseason. The team is VERY close and with another year under their belt, many of the younger players should take big steps forward.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsSoxKnicks View Post
    Reed has become overrated. While he might help in coverage, is he good enough in that area to make up for his lack of run defense? It doesn't look like it.
    Right, very good.

However, where I disagree with you is that I don't think our safety opposite McCourty- be it Gregory, Chung or whoever else- is good enough.
    You misunderstood me. I'm saying with Reed, McCourty would have to change position to SS (where I'm sorry, he doesn't put the fear of god into anyone) and guys on the roster - Wilson and Gregory - getting paid - would end up playing less. Chung won't be back unless it's min salary deal to play goal line D, so I never had him in mind. We need a SS that can cover, and we don't have one, and Reed isn't one either. We need this money for Reed for a SS FA, or draft a SS.

The reason I'd like another safety is because I think we need someone who can cover TEs and RBs. So we need a coverage LB (or one of our guys has to develop further) and I think a Safety who can cover as well.
    We need another S, but a strong coverage S, and as you indicate Reed probably isn't up to it.

Reed is too small and slow to bring the hammer on big/fast TE's. A coverage LB which we also need might also do the job.

Is Reed that guy? From the looks of it, no. Although, he does have good ball skills, his coverage abilities this year weren't that great. If he took a pay cut to join the team, sure. But if he's going to cost decent money, I'd pass and look for another safety.
    Righto

As a team, there's a lot of decisions to be made for the Patriots. Do they franchise Welker or let him walk? The same goes for Talib and Vollmer.
    Franchise Vollmer to deal him maybe, no to the others.

And how do we prioritize Welker, Talib, Vollmer vs. getting a LB and/or Safety who can cover RBs and/or TEs? And of course, what is the trickle down effect of letting Talib go?
    Welker leaves unless he signs team friendly deal. Vollmer is gone to play LT someplace (and maybe we get a pick if we use the franchise). Talib I'd go pretty far for, but not franchise.

I think this will be a very interesting offseason. The team is VERY close and with another year under their belt, many of the younger players should take big steps forward.[/QUOTE]

vCash

would you like to see the pats sign ed reed?

1 or 2 year contract absolutely need to take him. We have one of the best teams in the nfl and one of our few weaknesses is in the secondary. Instant short term fix pick up Ed reed and ate Super Bowl chances immediately increase.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast