Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Thumbs down Chris Culliver comments

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo is using his spotlight before Super Bowl XLVII to promote same-sex marriage.

San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver is taking the spotlight and making it clear he doesnít have any desire to share a locker room with a gay teammate.

Culliver, in an interview with radio show host Artie Lange on Tuesday, said that gays would not be welcome in the locker room.

ďI don't do the gay guys man," Culliver said, according to Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News. "I don't do that. No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do.

"Can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah ... can't be ... in the locker room man. Nah."

Culliver, the third cornerback on defense and a core special teams contributor, went on to say that if a teammate was gay, he should keep it private for 10 years after he retires.

The timing for Culliverís remarks would be poor at any moment. That he made the comments from the Super Bowl is especially damning. Earlier this week, former 49ers offensive lineman Kwame Harris, who also spent time with the Oakland Raiders, appeared in court on charges of domestic violence against a male partner.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/49ers-c...0176--nfl.html

I

vCash
    I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

vCash
    LOL!

Lashes out?

It was an interview with a comedian, which wasn't very serious. Yes, it was wrong but really taken out of context.

vCash
    Didn't lash out but was incredibly stupid nonetheless.

Regardless of how he feels on the subject, as a professional athlete, when speaking with the media you always play it safe.

Idiot move.

vCash
    Can we get the title changed though? Lame attempt to make something 1000x worse than it was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    There's a much better way to say what he did. If he disagrees with homosexuality, fine that's his opinion, but he could've said it in a much more professional manner instead of that ignorant response. He needs to think before he speaks.
    Last edited by SFrush90; 01-30-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    He apologized:

"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel. It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience.”

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49er...sue-statements

vCash
    Very idiotic on his part! People that make a big deal about homosexuals are just ignorant. If they aren't invading your booty or using a strap-on on you...what's the big fuss about?

vCash
    A good portion of the NFL likely feels the same way. There just smart enough not to publicly admit it unlike this moron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    You can't be serious.

Here we are, living in a world that is trying to make some serious progress from ostracizing (in particular) young gay and lesbian teens - who, among other issues, have the highest suicide rates of any of their peers, and are often put on track of 2nd class citizenship...

And here the 49ers are, months removed from becoming the first NFL franchise to endorse It Gets Better -- speaking out against gay bullying...

And you have no issue with Chris Culliver saying that these players should internalize for most of their lives (forget coming out as a teen...) and stay in the closet until 10 years after their career. So stay in the closet until, oh, age 45....

vCash
    My wife and I were talking about his comment... and we knew his apology was coming. However, he's still just a kid. Based on how he grew up, and face it how most of us were at his age... is it really a surprise? When I was young like him, I would have probably said pretty close to what he said. But life, and experience has changed me and it now seems silly to think that way.... but not when I was a in my early 20's and still a testosterone filled Marine - just like him being a testosterone filled football player.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBruins17 View Post
    You can't be serious.

Here we are, living in a world that is trying to make some serious progress from ostracizing (in particular) young gay and lesbian teens - who, among other issues, have the highest suicide rates of any of their peers, and are often put on track of 2nd class citizenship...

And here the 49ers are, months removed from becoming the first NFL franchise to endorse It Gets Better -- speaking out against gay bullying...

And you have no issue with Chris Culliver saying that these players should internalize for most of their lives (forget coming out as a teen...) and stay in the closet until 10 years after their career. So stay in the closet until, oh, age 45....
    We usually don't agree, but this post is perfect. I feel no need to post my opinion because you did it so well already.

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    We usually don't agree, but this post is perfect. I feel no need to post my opinion because you did it so well already.
    Haha, I guess I've never noticed how often we disagree. I'll keep my eyes peeled..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheeze View Post
    My wife and I were talking about his comment... and we knew his apology was coming. However, he's still just a kid. Based on how he grew up, and face it how most of us were at his age... is it really a surprise? When I was young like him, I would have probably said pretty close to what he said. But life, and experience has changed me and it now seems silly to think that way.... but not when I was a in my early 20's and still a testosterone filled Marine - just like him being a testosterone filled football player.
    I'm 22 and he's 24 and we have vastly different opinions on this subject. Age may play some part in his response because he still may be immature, but he's still an adult and should think before speaking.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    I'm 22 and he's 24 and we have vastly different opinions on this subject. Age may play some part in his response because he still may be immature, but he's still an adult and should think before speaking.
    He is still an adult no arguing, but I'm guessing by your location you grew up in the Bay area, were of course it's MUCH more acceptable than it is in many other places in the world (like Philly where he's from) so you and others need to take that into account. It's just a fact, he made a really stupid comment, and I 100% agree he shouldn't have made it. I'm not forgiving him for it, he made it and he should take the blame for it. However, I at least based on my personal experience think he'll grow out of it, and boy did he just learn a lesson! One your darn sure we won't forget, because as well as the negative media attention you can bet your Harb's had a conversation with him about it.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast