Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    btw lowry just outlasted calderon bahahaha he beat the curse.
    really?

i wouldnt gloat bout that, the curse may have one last ace under the sleeve

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P.I. View Post
    Luxury Tax is too much for Memphis.
    The trade they made with the Cavs got them out of trouble for the luxury tax. This move had nothing to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post

It's typical to expect on forums, everyone thinks they've mastered the art of advanced statistics so they think they know everything inside out and bet you haven't even watched a player consistently before judging em.

Same thing goes on in the baseball forum, people just don't understand the context or nature of using adv stats.

Now I'm not saying Gay is some amazing top 15 player but to say he's not even top 50 and a top 5 SF is just being delusional and ignorant.
    I have watched Gay plenty over his career. A few years ago, he had a case for top 5 SF. Not the last two years, and for sure not this year. He is an inefficient jumpshooter who plays average defense. On top of that, he is paid like a superstar.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Am I the only one who doesn't really care about this trade? It doesn't seem like anybody "won" and neither team really improved IMO.

vCash
    I think this is a great three way trade that greatly benefits all three teams, which is pretty rare.

Memphis
    Losing a player of Gay's ability hurts, but they weren't able to use him to his abilities anyways. In his new role since Memphis shifted their teams focus to their big man duo he hasn't been the same, and they've been an absolute mess at times. This was most notable in the playoffs last year, when they lost a game 7 at home vs the Clippers bench in the 4th quarter.

Is Prince as good as Gay? Obviously not. Is he better for Memphis? I would argue yes, and quite easily too. When Memphis made a run to the WCF while Gay was hurt they did it by relying on their big men with Shane Battier at SF. What does Battier bring? Defense, passing, hitting open three and spacing the floor as a result. Prince will bring the same exact things to Memphis, where as Gay struggled in all of those besides defense. The loss of Gay's scoring will be made up by Randolph and Gasol getting far more touches, and much deserved ones. The loss of Gay's underrated ability on GW shot opportunities will be missed, but Randolph proved to be very good for them in their deep run and their better play throughout the game will easily make up for it.

They also got Ed Davis, a 23-year old PF who has been thriving lately in a larger role, and Austin Daye, a very talented 6'11 player who has shot 53% on 3s this year. Davis is a great fit to take over for Randolph in the future, who is 31-years old and will probably have a sharp decline with his physical limitations. This will also give him more time to continue polishing his raw offensive game. Daye may not provide much, but he also has the potential to replace Prince in the same role in the future.

Toronto
    They got an All-Star caliber player for a talented, but still raw, young PF and a PG who wasn't going to be there next year anyways. Great value trade for them. Getting a player like Gay would be impossible through free agency, based on Toronto's FA history, and he is there for a couple of years for them to entice him to stay. He is also probably more likely to stay due to the Raptors contract offering bonuses than some other players, as he isn't a megastar. This gives them both a much needed SF who is ready and a much needed go to scorer who can come through big in late game situations. His athleticism will fit great with that roster as well, and the addition of a good defender is always a plus.

This trade also clears up their messy situation at PG, with Lowry back in a firm starting role. They gave up a lot for him, and enticing him to stay is huge for their future. This greatly helps that in two ways. One, he's back as the firm starter, a role he thrived in to start the year before an injury cost him his job. Two, he's now playing with a talent like Gay, who can help bring winning back to Toronto. If this doesn't keep him in Toronto then nothing would have, and surely not dealing with a PG battle for the rest of the year. This trade shows him the franchise is committed to him, that's a big plus.

Losing Ed Davis hurts, but there's hardly a guarantee that he will ever be as good as Gay is now. To me, that's always the right choice.

Detroit
    This gives them a ton of cap space next season. It also gives them a legitimate pure PG who can help their young players this year, and maybe help their young guards learn a thing or two about passing. Losing Daye is not a big deal as he wasn't working out for them anyways. This will help start the Monroe and Drummond era, and if Frank is smart he will start giving Drummond more minutes to develop with a good offensive PG like Calderon.
    Last edited by FOXHOUND; 01-30-2013 at 08:22 PM.

vCash
    Love this trade for us, just another step in the rebuilding process. Plenty of money flexibility now with Maggette and Calderon coming off the books and not having to pay Daye that qualifying offer.
    $9.99

vCash
    Yeah, thinking about it, Memphis owned this trade. Detroit did well too. They unloaded quite a bit of money for Calderon's expiring.

Still not getting it for Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    Yeah, thinking about it, Memphis owned this trade. Detroit did well too. They unloaded quite a bit of money for Calderon's expiring.

Let's let everyone play some games with their new players before we go judging.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post
    The trade they made with the Cavs got them out of trouble for the luxury tax. This move had nothing to do with that.
    If thats the case then I don't know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post

Its a trade that Colangelo had to make to save his job for the season. He does not give a **** about the future of the Raptors, he just needs to keep his job. With Rudy Gay I'm still not confident that this team will make the playoffs. Whats the point of Getting Rudy Gay that will avg. 16 points when you got Barganani starting giving away 20 points.

Memphis got better with Ed Davis who is solid young player and Prince Solid D and can score consistently.

vCash
    SN 590 The FAN ‏@FAN590
    The trade call has ended, making Rudy #Gay the newest member of the @Raptors. The trade and all its components are official.

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    Love this for Memphis. Not a huge fan of this for the Raptors. Oh, and Hollinger takeover is officially underway.

vCash
    I'm not sure I like this for Memphis. I understand this gives more touches for Randolph and Gasol. That being said I think you need guys like Gay in the playoffs. He can create his own shot which is valuable come playoff time. I know he's not the most efficient player around and he's overpaid, but I think he has value in the playoffs. If I didn't think Memphis had a chance to get to the finals I'd understand it more. I do think Ed Davis has potential so that's a plus and Prince appears to be a good fit.

vCash
    hollinger strikes gold in his first move. nice pieces coming back considering you never get what you think you should for 'stars'. i think gay will thrive in toronto. all he'll have to do is score and play loose and unrestrained. the memphis team is too organized for him IMO.

"If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. He was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him." -Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P.I. View Post
    If thats the case then I don't know as well.

Its a trade that Colangelo had to make to save his job for the season. He does not give a **** about the future of the Raptors, he just needs to keep his job. With Rudy Gay I'm still not confident that this team will make the playoffs. Whats the point of Getting Rudy Gay that will avg. 16 points when you got Barganani starting giving away 20 points.

Memphis got better with Ed Davis who is solid young player and Prince Solid D and can score consistently.
    Yeah, the Grizz are looking good. I wonder if they're done though? Randolph, Arthur and Davis seems like one too many.

Either way, they saved money and added a great replacement + a guy in Davis who's on the rise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I have watched Gay plenty over his career. A few years ago, he had a case for top 5 SF. Not the last two years, and for sure not this year. He is an inefficient jumpshooter who plays average defense. On top of that, he is paid like a superstar.
    Oh i wasn't referring to you, I know you know your ****, but many of the reactions in here have been jokes.

Also the system he was in wasn't the proper fit for him, no one ever mentions that.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast