Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Nagging Questions About 'Roids

With the latest Yankee cheater, ARod, in the news, I always think back to the 2000 World Series and wonder...what if? I looked up Andy Petitte and Roger Clemens, that pair of 'wonders on stamina and conditioning', whereby Petitte led the AL in games started three years out of ten and averaged 32 GS and over 200 IPs year in and year out between 1997 and 2007 and before and after bouts with injuries. HGH and steroids...we know they used them. And while some have cast aspersions on Mike Piazza his name never came up in any witch hunt. So, the question remains: While the Mets came into the World Series in 2000 exhausted from their major battles in the playoffs to just reach the Series, the Yankees were strong and refreshed. Clemens had that famous 'roid rage throwing of the bat at Mike Piazza---for which he amazingly was not ejected from the game or the Series! He and Pettite combined to throw 22 innings and gave up three earned runs and the Yankees went on to win in five games. How much of it was skill and conditioning and how much of it was downright cheating? Maybe their 2000 WS win should have an asterisk in the record book too. Throw the book at ARod and his ilk and make teams forfeit their championships the way colleges lose their rings and Lance Armstrong lost his...and ban them from the sport, let alone Cooperstown years later. Make the punishment fit the crime.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    With the latest Yankee cheater, ARod, in the news, I always think back to the 2000 World Series and wonder...what if? I looked up Andy Petitte and Roger Clemens, that pair of 'wonders on stamina and conditioning', whereby Petitte led the AL in games started three years out of ten and averaged 32 GS and over 200 IPs year in and year out between 1997 and 2007 and before and after bouts with injuries. HGH and steroids...we know they used them. And while some have cast aspersions on Mike Piazza his name never came up in any witch hunt. So, the question remains: While the Mets came into the World Series in 2000 exhausted from their major battles in the playoffs to just reach the Series, the Yankees were strong and refreshed. Clemens had that famous 'roid rage throwing of the bat at Mike Piazza---for which he amazingly was not ejected from the game or the Series! He and Pettite combined to throw 22 innings and gave up three earned runs and the Yankees went on to win in five games. How much of it was skill and conditioning and how much of it was downright cheating? Maybe their 2000 WS win should have an asterisk in the record book too. Throw the book at ARod and his ilk and make teams forfeit their championships the way colleges lose their rings and Lance Armstrong lost his...and ban them from the sport, let alone Cooperstown years later. Make the punishment fit the crime.
    If you strip every world series title away from a team that had someone using roids or greenies or something or other, you'd probably have to go back to the days of John McGraw to find a world series winner.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Nothing explains how Clemens was allowed to stay in the game...if Piazza saw him throw the bat splinter he could have rightfuly punched him in the face...no rumor here...just roid rage.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    My object all sublime
    I shall achieve in time--
    To let the punishment fit the crime--
    The punishment fit the crime;
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    2000 was 13 years ago. Lets move on.

vCash
    nvm
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Ehh there were probably a number of Mets juicing too. And plenty of players on other teams the Yankees beat along the way.

And I don't think the Mets were "exhausted" from the previous rounds of the playoffs - they rolled through the Cardinals pretty easily. They just played incredibly awful baseball and choked once the WS series started. I don't think lack of roids was why Benitez couldn't throw strikes or baserunners couldn't tell the difference b/w fair balls and foul balls or doubles and HRs

vCash
    Every time I read this thread's title I think it's about the aging Yankees and their hemorrhoids.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.