Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2012 in Review: Lamarr Houston

DE Lamarr Houston had the best season of his three-year NFL career in 2012. He was originally drafted by the Raiders in the 2nd round in 2010.

The Raiders drafted DE Lamarr Houston out of the University of Texas in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft. The fiery player immediately became a starter for the Silver and Black and has played in every game in his three years, starting 44 of them. Houston has recorded 156 total tackles (114 solo) and 10.0 sacks, one interception, two forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries.
    The 6’3”, 300-pound, defensive end had a breakout year in terms of his leadership, hustle and determination. Houston started all 16 games and registered 77 tackles (58 solo), two passes defensed, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and a team-leading 4.5 sacks. He also blocked a field goal, which he returned 34 yards against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Breakout Performances
    In Week 4 against the Denver Broncos at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, Houston demonstrated the importance of never giving up on a play. Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas caught a pass from QB Peyton Manning and raced down the sidelines for 40 yards before S Tyvon Branch knocked the ball loose. Houston had been trailing the play the entire time and was there to recover the fumble and prevent a scoring opportunity for the Broncos. Houston also recorded seven tackles, as well as a tackle for loss.
    Against the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 7 action, Houston recorded his first sack of the season. His game-changing moment came in overtime when he forced a fumble that was recovered by CB Joselio Hanson, setting up the game-winning field goal.
    In Week 9 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at O.co Coliseum, Houston blocked a 35-yard field-goal attempt in the first quarter and returned the block 34 yards to Tampa Bay’s 44-yard line. It was the first career block for Houston. The ensuing Raiders drive culminated in a field goal by K Sebastian Janikowski.
    In the Raiders final game of the season, Houston recorded 12 tackles (nine solo) and had a career high 1.5 sacks, increasing his season total to a team-high 4.5.

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-...1-aedc451a660f

Nice little video clip too
    Houston is definately the type of player RM and DA are looking for and he was one of the few highlights of the season.Let us hope he continues to get better which ever position he plays and that we add more pieces around him.

vCash
    ''It's not about the money for me or,you know,the fame.It's just about being the best''

vCash
    Move him to dt. With his size and athleticism he would be unstoppable. After veldheer he is our best player imo

Yall let me slip?!?!

vCash
    ^ He is definitely our best defensive player.

vCash
    Good read! Houston's really coming into his own....
    "The Greatness Of The Raiders Lies In The Future"-Al Davis

vCash
    lamar has shown some very good things. I believe he should be a DT at this point but he can move around which makes him worth that much more. He can play inside or outside in a 4-3/3-4 and thats what i like about him. He is our best D player and he wants to play we just need more players like him.

Oakland Raiders
    Boston Celtics Roll tide

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    ^ He is definitely our best defensive player.
    At some point last season, people were starting threads about how Houston was 'useless' or some such nonsense.

The fact is, Houston has been a high-energy player since he was drafted. He's one of the few defensive players who the team should be building around.

vCash

2012 in Review: Lamarr Houston

The thought of Houston moving inside and possibly Star next to him makes me salivate. Lol. That could potentially be the best Dt combo in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    At some point last season, people were starting threads about how Houston was 'useless' or some such nonsense.

The fact is, Houston has been a high-energy player since he was drafted. He's one of the few defensive players who the team should be building around.
    I started one of those threads. Never said he was 'useless' though. I questioned his consistency. And I still question it. He'll be oustanding 1 game, and dissapear the next.

I love the kid & his heart. Non stop motor. You gotta root for it as a fan. He's one of my favorites, but I still question him & the rest of that D-line.

What I question is his ability to consistently get to the QB. Is it because he's still young ? Not fully developed ?

I expect more than 10 sacks in 3 years from a Raiders Defensive end whose going up against the opponents worst Offensive Tackle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not cutting this guy anytime soon. I just expect more in the sack department & QB pressures.

I continue the development with Houston. I also get some coaching in there to find out if he's more suited at DT, than DE. I beleive he's a DT & again, it's the organization's fault for not putting him in a position to succeed a la Richard Seymour (DE in a 3/4) & Rolando McClain (ILB in a 3/4). This isn't on the player.

vCash
    Move him to DT and you will see his sack #'s double.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post

I remember those threads...and i could not figure out what people were watching...this guy also towards the end of the year started playing a stand up Defensive end...as opposed to being down in a 3 or 4 point stance..and I think his pass rush ability really increased...hence the better defense towards the end of year since we were actually collapsing the pocket...you can tell from my sig I like the guy...and he was a great pick..

vCash
    Lamar has a good motor. He is not really a good 4-3 DE. However I think he would be an outstanding 3-4 DE. If we decide to go to a primary 3-4 team, this is the year to do it since we have a ton of spots to fill. If we did draft Star i would like to see him and houston play DE, then find a NT. I would like to see this

vCash
    Houston needs to be a DT next year. Drafting him and putting him at DE was such an awful idea, he has so much potential.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    He has been a top tier DL since his rookie season.Taking him out in favor of Wimbley was necessary but we should have moved him inside on those plays.
    STORK WAS RIGHT!
    Mcfadden is useless

vCash
    I knew this guy was special! One of our future leaders!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast