Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What position do you personally hope we pick in the first round? And give brief why!

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • RB

3 13.64%
  • LT

2 9.09%
  • RT, move Bulaga to LT

0 0%
  • ILB

4 18.18%
  • CB

0 0%
  • NT

0 0%
  • DT/DE

10 45.45%
  • OG

0 0%
  • S

2 9.09%
  • WR

1 4.55%
  • CENTER

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I don't know that its necessarily a gamble to stay with Perry to be honest. They obviously saw something the liked when the drafted him. He was good enough to basically start right away. I will give you that he didn't have the best competition, but he still started basically from Day 1. We've also had him in the classroom and things all this season. So we've had an opportunity to see him, either we like him or we don't.

This is something that I can't agree with at all. I don't mean to call you personally out, but I feel like I've heard this a lot. People feel that its easy to find LTs in the draft. Unless you're drafting in the top 10-15, the prospective LTs available generally have at least one big glaring hole. I really don't think there's any chance that there's really going to be a LT sitting around when we pick that's an immediate apparent upgrade over what we have. Basically, we'll be drafting another Derek Sherrod type of guy, who others pass on because there's legit questions to whether or not they can play LT.
    You just caused me to start a study.

Average draft position for LT's versus.....I'll probably do QB's. At least to start. I want to see where this goes.

I have a gut feeling that isn't near as high as I think overall but very high for the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    It would be ****ing dumb for anybody to trade up for a defensive end. How many games did JJ Watt, clearly the best DE in the NFL, win the Texans this year?
    LOL, yeah, if I ever finish my time machine I'll make sure not to go back and trade up for Watt. That would be a terrible idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post

Average draft position for LT's versus.....I'll probably do QB's. At least to start. I want to see where this goes.

I have a gut feeling that isn't near as high as I think overall but very high for the good ones.
    All the starting LT's. Projected for next year. Lowest to highest. 256 being a UDFA. Average pick # is the last number

UDFA's were Peters and Donald Penn. Both pretty good.

Those other high numbers, one is Newhouse, one is Gaither, one is Webb. One is uhh Bushrod. Missing one more, forget now.

Basically 2/3 to 3/4 of the starting LT's in the NFL are second rounders or above or VERY close to being.

It would be ****ing dumb for anybody to trade up for a defensive end. How many games did JJ Watt, clearly the best DE in the NFL, win the Texans this year?
    LOL, yeah, if I ever finish my time machine I'll make sure not to go back and trade up for Watt. That would be a terrible idea.

vCash
    I dont really care as long as it is a RB, DL, LB or C/LT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    I dont really care as long as it is a RB, DL, LB or C/LT
    Ted's going to do something stupid that pisses us all of. Takers on the bet?

vCash
    Ted's going to do something stupid that pisses us all of. Takers on the bet?
    lol it wouldn't surprise me. What is a position or player you think he would take that no one is expecting?

vCash
    lol it wouldn't surprise me. What is a position or player you think he would take that no one is expecting?
    CB. Xavier Rhodes

vCash
    CB. Xavier Rhodes
    Don't know much about him but i would be somewhat upset with a CB unless he is a beast. We have a lot of holes so at this point i really don't care who we take as long as he is a beast lol

vCash
    CB. Xavier Rhodes
    I would hate Ted if he went with that pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wissportsfan View Post
    I would hate Ted if he went with that pick.
    I could totally see it. It scares me.

vCash
    I could totally see it. It scares me.
    Same here. Just don't want to believe it. He's got that "ideal size" and he's known as a "shut-down" corner. I think we've had this discussion briefly before. I guess you could say I disagree.

vCash
    Same here. Just don't want to believe it. He's got that "ideal size" and he's known as a "shut-down" corner. I think we've had this discussion briefly before. I guess you could say I disagree.
    Tackles well for a CB. Seems Ted has somewhat of an accent on that anyways.

Yeah we talked about him, brought it up before that he could be a Ted target.

I really hope he's not that foolish to take a CB that early.

vCash
    if we didnt take him in the first round and he is still there, tyler eifert
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash

Thumbs up

Not sure what position I hope we take. The more I look at guys in the 1st and 2nd round the more I think they'd be an upgrade. There are some good S out there that are in that 1st and 2nd round range that I hope we look at but I'm not sure if that's the direction Ted will go. Unless someone real good drops I think it'll be receiver mainly because that will be the highest position of need to replenish.
    Agreed. wr will be a need/quality pick. TT doesnt have much luck with DL in the first.. GO WR>

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    I'm never a positional guy. Take a good prospect who fits a need.

That being said, I would probably lean towards a DL guy who can get after the passer a bit but isn't a complete one trick pony. If you twisted my arm........
    Ted never drafts for need...except for last year.

QB.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash

The thing with that too is that is a somewhat skewed stat too. Those guys who go very low tend to pull the average down quite a bit too. 20 of the 32 were first round picks (and #21 was the first pick in the second) and just over 1/3 of them were top 10 picks.

Another thing that's kind of back to my original point. I'm not saying its impossible to find a good starter in the mid 20s, but the in my mind, the odds really aren't all that great. Generally speaking, you need to be a special type of athlete to play LT. And usually anyone who fits that stereotypical mold and has even decent game tape gets vaulted up the draft board. I mean the same thing happens with QBs and other very important positions. Usually when you're drafting at 26 or whatever it is, the guys still available either have too short of arms, questionable quickness, or aren't super strong yet. Those guys usually take a little time to develop. If we're going to try to develop a guy, why not keep trying to develop Sherrod and Newhouse instead of another project?

As far as Ted surprising us, I really don't see it in the sense that he will take an unexpected position. He may take a guy we don't expect that he has rated higher than anyone would guess, but I think last years draft showed us that he is willing to draft with regard to need when he thinks we have a championship caliber roster. His first couple years I really think his goal was to acquire as much talent as possible, pretty much regardless of position. I think now he realizes he needs to be in roster turnover mode, which basically means he needs to draft to fill positions that either underperformed or are vacant due to free agency. If he surprises us, my guess would be that he moves up for someone he really likes.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 01-31-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast