Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Should they bench Alex?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 42.86%
  • No

    1 4.76%
  • Won't do any good

    11 52.38%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 187
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,256
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Would you rather watch Vernon Wells starting over Borjous?
    Main differences are..

    1- Alex, even at this state, if healthy enough to play, isn't as bad as Wells.

    2- Do we have someone of Bourjos' caliber to play instead of Alex? Don't think so, right now..

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,904
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Would you rather watch Vernon Wells starting over Borjous?
    lol i have done that already.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Main differences are..

    1- Alex, even at this state, if healthy enough to play, isn't as bad as Wells.

    2- Do we have someone of Bourjos' caliber to play instead of Alex? Don't think so, right now..
    both points are very good, the last 3 years he has been a 3 war 3rd basemen, that's pretty decent.

    Also, in wells defense he has never hit well in Angel Stadium in his career, he has better numbers in SafeCo and the Raider Castle. If he went back to the AL East i have a feeling he would be able to be at least average.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,807
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    Main differences are..

    1- Alex, even at this state, if healthy enough to play, isn't as bad as Wells.

    2- Do we have someone of Bourjos' caliber to play instead of Alex? Don't think so, right now..
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    lol i have done that already.

    both points are very good, the last 3 years he has been a 3 war 3rd basemen, that's pretty decent.

    Also, in wells defense he has never hit well in Angel Stadium in his career, he has better numbers in SafeCo and the Raider Castle. If he went back to the AL East i have a feeling he would be able to be at least average.
    Ciaban, what you said was this:

    anyone who wants to bench him is being over reactionary to begin with, first of all, if you look at the last 3 years, he is still a decent player, second of all, this team is doing it's best to shed payroll, having a guy making as much as he is just sitting there is a total waste of resources,....
    You seem to be suggesting that he shouldn't be benched because then he would be just sitting there making a lot of money. The decision to bench him or not should not depend on how much money he makes. It should depend on whether he's able to produce, who else we have to replace him, etc. If he sucks when he comes back (and that's IF he comes back), he should be benched, the same way that Vernon Wells should be benched in spite of the fact that he makes about 20 times more than Peter Borjous. I wasn't comparing Wells to A-Rod in terms of how productive they are, but only pointing out to you as an Angels fan that you probably feel differently about benching a high salaried player when it comes to Wells (or you SHOULD feel differently because Wells is a waste of roster space on your team).

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16
    vCash
    1500
    i love the mantra of "how can the front office play a guy that knowingly used PEDs" lol thats absolutely ridiculous. anybody believing that needs a dose of reality because the yankees have knowingly signed and played PED users along with every other team in the majors. all the naivety on this board is comical. where is the void andy pettitte thread? oh wait never mind. IF alex's hips hold up once he returns then he will be a positive for the team. if, on the other hand his hips betray him as in the close of 2012 then he will not be a positive but regardless he will be paid every cent we owe him so why not support him as a TRUE Yankees fan should.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,972
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by riyankxfan View Post
    i love the mantra of "how can the front office play a guy that knowingly used PEDs" lol thats absolutely ridiculous. anybody believing that needs a dose of reality because the yankees have knowingly signed and played PED users along with every other team in the majors. all the naivety on this board is comical. where is the void andy pettitte thread? oh wait never mind. IF alex's hips hold up once he returns then he will be a positive for the team. if, on the other hand his hips betray him as in the close of 2012 then he will not be a positive but regardless he will be paid every cent we owe him so why not support him as a TRUE Yankees fan should.
    That's your subjective opinion of a true fan.

    Andy Pettite used HGH, briefly as far as we know, to recover from an injury. ARod used PEDs while healthy, came clean after he was exposed, and had the audacity to use them once they were made illegal within the game. He may have used them to recover from injury to varying degrees in recent years, but his disingenuity is sad.

    Comparing Pettitte to ARod is like comparing a parent who slaps a child upside the head to Casey Anthony who allegedly *cough* murdered her child. .
    Last edited by Dugmet; 02-03-2013 at 06:05 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    vCash
    1500

    A-Rod question

    hey Yankee Fan see my post about yanks punishing him like you said. as long as they pay him is there anything the union can step in with like they are denying him the ability to continue his career by benching him or some such angle?

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,972
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by evets47 View Post
    hey Yankee Fan see my post about yanks punishing him like you said. as long as they pay him is there anything the union can step in with like they are denying him the ability to continue his career by benching him or some such angle?
    No.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,807
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by riyankxfan View Post
    i love the mantra of "how can the front office play a guy that knowingly used PEDs" lol thats absolutely ridiculous. anybody believing that needs a dose of reality because the yankees have knowingly signed and played PED users along with every other team in the majors. all the naivety on this board is comical. where is the void andy pettitte thread? oh wait never mind. IF alex's hips hold up once he returns then he will be a positive for the team. if, on the other hand his hips betray him as in the close of 2012 then he will not be a positive but regardless he will be paid every cent we owe him so why not support him as a TRUE Yankees fan should.
    Where are you hearing this "mantra"? Because I don't hear anyone asking this question. If A-Rod is capable of putting up numbers when (and IF) he comes back, most Yankees fans aren't going to care what he took. The fear is that he won't come back or if he does he will be a shadow of what he was and Yankee fans hate seeing 15% of the team's payroll being wasted on someone like that.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,769
    vCash
    1500
    but being a "true yankee fan" means loving everyone all the time no matter how much of a worthless sack of crap they are

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    vCash
    1500
    assuming A-Rod rehabs, is back on the Yankee roster this year or next, if the Yanks relegate him to benchwarmer status i.e. occasional PH, part-time DH role, is there anyway the players union can challenge his "treatment" by the Yanks. Can they say they are violating his contract by "punishing" him, etc?
    Some guy tried to tell me the union can step in. Any ideas? Thanks
    By the way we know the players union will not let him settle that contract they wouldn't let him take less money to go to Boston.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,769
    vCash
    1500
    I think it's funny how much credit the Player's Union is getting in this thread. Sure, there have been cases where they've prepared themselves to step in (Logan Morrison), but there were specifics about those cases that left the situation up for debate. The Yankees can play A-Rod any way they want to.

    I really don't see why people think the PA can keep A-Rod from retiring if that's what he chooses. What precedent would it set? That a guy can retire in the middle of a contract anytime he wants? That's how it is now. The PA is there to protect the best interest of the players. If A-Rod decides it is in his best interest to retire (which can hardly be argued at this point) no one can stop him.

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,807
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Dunn View Post
    I think it's funny how much credit the Player's Union is getting in this thread. Sure, there have been cases where they've prepared themselves to step in (Logan Morrison), but there were specifics about those cases that left the situation up for debate. The Yankees can play A-Rod any way they want to.

    I really don't see why people think the PA can keep A-Rod from retiring if that's what he chooses. What precedent would it set? That a guy can retire in the middle of a contract anytime he wants? That's how it is now. The PA is there to protect the best interest of the players. If A-Rod decides it is in his best interest to retire (which can hardly be argued at this point) no one can stop him.
    I would add that there have been players who retired rather than play out their contracts. Gil Meche retired with one year left on his deal and walked away from 12M saying he couldn't pitch well enough to earn his salary.

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Great Northeast
    Posts
    29,381
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I would add that there have been players who retired rather than play out their contracts. Gil Meche retired with one year left on his deal and walked away from 12M saying he couldn't pitch well enough to earn his salary.
    You think ARod is walking away from 114 million?

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    21,299
    vCash
    1500
    yeah but gil meche has morals and was a nice guy, arod is dumb and selfish lol

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    6,858
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    You think ARod is walking away from 114 million?
    The Yanks can force him to demand a trade or retire very easily..Just don't play him....Then work out a payment settlement for 20 years but agree to pay the entire amount so the Marlins get off scott free and they can have a spectacle for chasing the homerun king Bonds..
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 02-04-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    Nick

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •