Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should they bench Alex?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 42.86%
  • No

1 4.76%
  • Won't do any good

11 52.38%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    He has friends?

vCash
    i find it funny that so many of you guys think we should try to void his contract. i say this because we promised him $114 million for his service from the ages 38-42. now, other than barry, i don"t know of too many players that deserve that kind of cash while that age. to give a guy $28 $25 $21 $20 $20 million per year during that age period just isn't smart business and probably will not work out well in the end. like this year with greinke and hamilton, to get the best players in any free agent class you usually have to overpay or somebody else will. i understand that our front office assumed revenues associated with the home run chase with alex, but i'm sure they had some inkling that it was possible for his steroid use to one day come to light before the end of the contract. also he definitely wasn't the first known steroid guy we signed, so why so much hate towards him?
    to me it comes down to honoring contracts given to our players and not looking for an easy way out. why would a future player want to be a yankee if they thought that the yankees would turn their backs on them one day possibly. i know i would feel uneasy about it if i were a free agent looking for a new home.

one question for everybody that i have is what do you believe the majority opinion would be regarding this matter if alex averaged 30 homers and 100 rbi's the last 2 years rather than 17 and 60? i think people would be less vocal in their detest but that is just my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riyankxfan View Post
    i find it funny that so many of you guys think we should try to void his contract. i say this because we promised him $114 million for his service from the ages 38-42. now, other than barry, i don"t know of too many players that deserve that kind of cash while that age. to give a guy $28 $25 $21 $20 $20 million per year during that age period just isn't smart business and probably will not work out well in the end. like this year with greinke and hamilton, to get the best players in any free agent class you usually have to overpay or somebody else will. i understand that our front office assumed revenues associated with the home run chase with alex, but i'm sure they had some inkling that it was possible for his steroid use to one day come to light before the end of the contract. also he definitely wasn't the first known steroid guy we signed, so why so much hate towards him?
    to me it comes down to honoring contracts given to our players and not looking for an easy way out. why would a future player want to be a yankee if they thought that the yankees would turn their backs on them one day possibly. i know i would feel uneasy about it if i were a free agent looking for a new home.

one question for everybody that i have is what do you believe the majority opinion would be regarding this matter if alex averaged 30 homers and 100 rbi's the last 2 years rather than 17 and 60? i think people would be less vocal in their detest but that is just my opinion.
    It might not be the "PED" use that's the issue for the yankees..It may be more that he used an outside doctor without consulting the yankees, which is not allowed.

vCash
    well i respect that more than people that just want to void it because they don't like him or he underperforms relative to salary. i understand some people get jealous of how much money he makes and dislike him because he acts odd sometimes but people need to just accept the reality of things and ride with it.

vCash

But he didn't.... Anyone can list a bunch of hypotheticals that justify his contract, or vice versa. But in the end, all we have is his actual performance.

vCash
    sorry it was just a question so i could gauge an overall opinion on the subject. i wasn't trying to justify anything. either way if he hits 30, 17 or 2 homeruns you can't run a player off once you sign him to a deal. bottom line is yankees signed him to a contract and they have to honor it.

vCash
    I guess no amount of abuse is enough for this guy. I know that's a lot of money, but I bet there would be plenty of guys out there that would take it to the house after this.

vCash

my biggest thing is that he's dragging the biggest brand in sports through the mud along with him. That wouldn't change even if he was a 30/100 guy.

vCash
    sorry it was just a question so i could gauge an overall opinion on the subject. i wasn't trying to justify anything. either way if he hits 30, 17 or 2 homeruns you can't run a player off once you sign him to a deal. bottom line is yankees signed him to a contract and they have to honor it.
    Fair enough. I think he's overpaid. I think he's in decline. I also think we're stuck with his contract. And he's still an above average 3rd baseman when healthy. IF NY could void his contract, that would be great. If not, I'm awaiting his return.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Fair enough. I think he's overpaid. I think he's in decline. I also think we're stuck with his contract. And he's still an above average 3rd baseman when healthy. IF NY could void his contract, that would be great. If not, I'm awaiting his return.
    Just who do you think you are being logical in this situation?

vCash
    dragging through the mud? lol maybe we shouldn't have signed him then. you act like the yankees had no idea he could possibly be PED user when they signed him either time. you people really make me laugh with the holier than thou crap. this is amazing. some of you guys remind me of the pretentious baseball writers. bunch of haters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    well said

vCash
    dragging through the mud? lol maybe we shouldn't have signed him then. you act like the yankees had no idea he could possibly be PED user when they signed him either time. you people really make me laugh with the holier than thou crap. this is amazing. some of you guys remind me of the pretentious baseball writers. bunch of haters.
    I didn't think he was a PED user until he said he was

vCash
    you probably assume pujols has always been clean too. just like andy pettitte wouldn't dare use PEDs because he is a great person.

vCash
    they traded for him in 2004. perspective has changed since then. saying they should honor the contract so they can attract future a-rods is ridiculous. if the yankees turn their back on a-rod, it's justifiable.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast