Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should they bench Alex?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 42.86%
  • No

1 4.76%
  • Won't do any good

11 52.38%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I take IGF-1 and Super Pump Max, both banned substances in professional sports. I really dont see the big deal. But Alex should have been smart enough not to go near this stuff, should the reports be true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    In terms of PED use in football, I think many people don't care at all because at the end of the day it is very much a team sport. Baseball is very much a records based sport, and people feel cheated if a player used PED's to boost their career credentials.
    The problem with records in baseball is that everything requires context. Different size stadiums. Different equipment. More advanced surgeries. Different talent pools being drawn from. Rule changes. The addition of the DH. The mound has been raised and lower. Different length seasons. Regardless of steroids, to compare the stats of Ruth and Bonds is unfair as they played very different games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    The problem with records in baseball is that everything requires context. Different size stadiums. Different equipment. More advanced surgeries. Different talent pools being drawn from. Rule changes. The addition of the DH. The mound has been raised and lower. Different length seasons. Regardless of steroids, to compare the stats of Ruth and Bonds is unfair as they played very different games.
    You are absolutely correct. How many HRs would A-rod on the PEDs have if had to hit in the same park as Joe DiMaggio? Unless you pull the ball down the line, you had to hit it a long way. I also think the PED stuff is blown out of context. Many of these so called banned substances are legal. I don't think much has been discussed on exactly what these players are taking. When I look at A-rod I don't see a major change in body type, which is in contrast to Bonds who was a skinny kid who turned into a guy with no neck. That being said, I don't like Bonds getting implicated based on leaked test results.

vCash
    Everything you said is correct. It's just the general outlook of baseball fans compared to sports like football is totally different in terms of PED use.

| .372 AVG | 0 HR | 2 RBI | 6 SB | .438 OBP | .442 SLG | .394 wOBA |

vCash
    But...Until that information leaked it was a he said/she said type of thing. The fact of the matter is that the information leaked to the SF Chronicle was illegal, and the editorial board at the San Fran Chronicle knew as much when they ran it. Under HIPPA a health care professional may not provide any medical information to anyone but the patient. This is Federal Law. Yet when it comes to a celebrity, its OK to print this information in a newspaper, then when investigated, claim that as a press agent you do not have to give up your sources. Frankly that's BS. Look I'm all for freedom of the press, but not when the press becomes an agent for unlawful activity. Conte eventually got a light sentence (he not only violated Bond's privacy but also his professional standards as an attorney involved int he case.

LOOK I LOVE BASEBALL BUT...

I think we need to look long and hard at having the press become an agency to deliver private information to the public. There should be a law that an editor who allows illegally obtained information to print, then that editor is liable for the crime. This includes both medical records, and top secret Foreign military operations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    bitter much?
    l

m

m

f

a

o

!

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    He has collected over $325,000,000 during his career and you think he is really worried about one last payday?

He should respect the Yankees and retire due to poor performance.....
    i know yankee fans might not want to here it, but he has played pretty well the last few years, he has been a 3 war third basemen, while he isn't producing enough to justify his paycheck, he hasn't been as bad as you all would like to believe.
    Wasn't Troy Glaus mentioned in the Mitchell Report? I wonder how the 2002 Angels would have done against the Yankees in the ALDS without his 3 HRs and .313 batting average.
    while i don't know if he was cheating or not, fine lets say the angels loose glaus, and the yankees will loose their cheaters, Jason Giambi, Rodger Clemens, Andy Petiette sound fair? BTW Giambi hit .357/.526/.571 in that series.
    Last edited by ciaban; 01-31-2013 at 04:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    i know yankee fans might not want to here it, but he has played pretty well the last few years, he has been a 3 war third basemen, while he isn't producing enough to justify his paycheck, he hasn't been as bad as you all would like to believe.

while i don't know if he was cheating or not, fine lets say the angels loose glaus, and the yankees will loose their cheaters, Jason Giambi, Rodger Clemens, Andy Petiette sound fair? BTW Giambi hit .357/.526/.571 in that series.
    OK, if it will make you feel better, send us the 2002 World Series trophy and we'll send you the 2009 one. Fair?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post

I'm sorry, can you show me the proof that Clemens cheated? Because unlike a lot of players who have been busted or accused, he was found not guilty. What happened? Woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Still sucking on your Yankee haterade? It seems like you Yankee haters are running out of things to say you just start accusing everyone who is a Yankee of juicing. And as much as I hope we can get out of this A-Rod contract, it still has yet to be proven he was still using. But keep it up troll.

Shouldn't you be jerking off to Mike Trout or something?
    New York Yankees
    FC Bayern Munchen

Bundesliga: Wins- 25 / Draw- 3 / Loss- 2
    DFB-Pokal-Wins- 5 / Loss- 0 Finals vs Borussia Dortmund
    Champions League- Semi-Finals vs. Real Madrid.

1st Leg- April 23rd in Madrid.
    2nd Leg- April 29th in Munich.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshirleyrules View Post
    But...Until that information leaked it was a he said/she said type of thing. The fact of the matter is that the information leaked to the SF Chronicle was illegal, and the editorial board at the San Fran Chronicle knew as much when they ran it. Under HIPPA a health care professional may not provide any medical information to anyone but the patient. This is Federal Law. Yet when it comes to a celebrity, its OK to print this information in a newspaper, then when investigated, claim that as a press agent you do not have to give up your sources. Frankly that's BS. Look I'm all for freedom of the press, but not when the press becomes an agent for unlawful activity. Conte eventually got a light sentence (he not only violated Bond's privacy but also his professional standards as an attorney involved int he case.

LOOK I LOVE BASEBALL BUT...

I think we need to look long and hard at having the press become an agency to deliver private information to the public. There should be a law that an editor who allows illegally obtained information to print, then that editor is liable for the crime. This includes both medical records, and top secret Foreign military operations.
    It was illegal for the information to have been leaked and the guy who leaked it was sent to jail, but I don't think the Chronicle printing the leaked information was illegal. Freedom of the press and all.

As for Bonds, he was destined to be caught anyway. BALCO had been under investigation independent of Bonds. In fact, the first big names snared in the scandal weren't MLB players but track stars like Marion Jones. The BALCO employees were apparently not real good about destroying records, samples, syringes, etc., and that IRS guy Jeff Novitzky actually went through their trash and found enough evidence to get warrants. All of that eventually would have led to Bonds.

Don't know how much HIPPA plays into this. I'm not even sure the BALCO guys were "health care" professionals. They took blood and urine samples and tested them for steroids so maybe they were, but they didn't voluntarily disclose anything.

vCash
    OK, if it will make you feel better, send us the 2002 World Series trophy and we'll send you the 2009 one. Fair?
    that sounds fair, but can salmon keep his ring, we are all still happy that king fish got his.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees90. View Post
    I'm sorry, can you show me the proof that Clemens cheated? Because unlike a lot of players who have been busted or accused, he was found not guilty. What happened? Woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Still sucking on your Yankee haterade? It seems like you Yankee haters are running out of things to say you just start accusing everyone who is a Yankee of juicing. And as much as I hope we can get out of this A-Rod contract, it still has yet to be proven he was still using. But keep it up troll.

Shouldn't you be jerking off to Mike Trout or something?
    Bonds got off too, but we all know that he cheated too, Clemens was racking up CY Young's in his late 30" and early 40's, there is no sense in being naive about bonds and Clemens etc. Now i don't think i am hating on anything, A-Rod did come up big for the Yankees in 2009, and he did **** the angels, Pettitte admitted to taking banned substances, and he pointed the finger at his best friend Clemens, Giambi apologized for doing things he shouldn't have done, remember. I mean I'm not accusing every Yankee or I would have thrown accusations at Jeter and Mo and Possada, i didn't just the guys who we know cheated.

and as far as revenge goes, had the yanks not stolen Texiera from us during the 08 off season, you would have drafted ahead of us and got Mike Trout. So even though you got that from us, we got the guy who will carry us to more titles.

vCash
    Dead Ball Era compared to the "juiced ball", "juiced players", "lower mounds" and "shorter fences" era...fo sho!
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    A message to the New York Yankees and their fans from Alex Rodriguez: I'm not going anywhere.

"Alex has no plans at all to retire,'' one source with close personal ties to the embattled third baseman told ESPNNewYork.com on Thursday.

Another source, authorized by Rodriguez to speak on his behalf, passed this along: "Alex says he's working diligently on his rehabilitation and is looking forward to getting back on the field as soon as possible.''

Although neither of those statements mention Rodriguez returning to the Yankees, with whom he has been at odds since last October's playoffs, he is under contract to the team through 2017, and he is owed $114 million plus a possible $30 million more in incentive bonuses based on reaching career home run milestones.

Since the disclosure this week of the presence of Rodriguez' name in the records of Anthony Bosch, a "nutritionist'' whose Miami anti-aging clinic is suspected of supplying HGH and other performance-enhancing drugs to professional athletes, speculation has run rampant that perhaps Rodriguez would never play another game for the Yankees.

One report even went so far as to suggest that Rodriguez might retire from baseball, leaving behind the remaining money on his contract. But the word coming out of Miami, where Rodriguez has been rehabbing since undergoing hip surgery earlier this month, tells a different story indeed.

Both sources paint a picture of a player who, although stung by what he believes is a campaign by the Yankees to rid themselves of his onerous contract, is working hard to return to action sometime after the All-Star break.

When informed of Rodriguez' comments, Yankees GM Brian Cashman, who has avoided commenting publicly on Rodriguez's latest incident, responded with one word: "Good.''

Earlier this week, ESPNewYork.com reported through sources that the Yankees would explore multiple options to void Rodriguez's contract, which was extended for 10 years following his MVP season in 2007.

"(The Yankees are) looking at about 20 different things,'' said a source with knowledge of the team's thinking, although it did not appear that a PED violation would be one of them.

Baseball's collective bargaining agreement gives all power to punish drug offenders to the commissioner's office, and prohibits teams from taking any further action over and above the penalties stipulated in the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

In Rodriguez's case, that would be a 50-game suspension for a first offense, despite his 2009 admission of earlier steroid use, and only if MLB's investigators can establish a legitimate link between Rodriguez and the entries in Bosch's notebook.

That would mean either an admission of wrongdoing, evidence of a prescription written to Rodriguez for an illegal substance, or a sworn affidavit from Bosch that is accepted as fact by an impartial arbiter.

One avenue that appeared open to the club, the possibility that they could penalize Rodriguez, and perhaps even void the rest of his contract, by establishing that his hip injury was the result of PED use. However, that may have been eliminated when Dr. Bryan Kelly, the surgeon who repaired the torn labrum in Rodriguez' left hip, told reporters that the injury was the result of a congenital condition and not drug-related.

However, if Rodriguez were unable to play again due to the injury, the Yankees could recoup a good portion of the money owed him through the insurance policy on his contract.

Rodriguez' relationship with the team was damaged in October, when his poor performance in the postseason -- he had just 3 hits in 25 at-bats (.120), striking out 12 times -- resulted in his being hit for three times and benched for three games, including two elimination games.

Rodriguez's troubles on the field were compounded by an incident at Yankee Stadium, when he was spotted flirting with and tossing a baseball to a woman in the stands after being removed from a playoff game.

The Yankees were further not pleased when Rodriguez authorized his doctor to speak publicly about his injury without consulting the club.

And when the current scandal broke Tuesday via an in-depth investigative story by the Miami New Times, club officials were said to be "fed up'' with their lightning-rod third baseman.

"If this turns out to be true,'' one insider said, "then I think it's all over for Alex.''

But according to friends, Rodriguez remains committed to his future in the game.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?...ty=newyork&wjb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    But according to friends, Rodriguez remains committed to his future in the game.
    He has friends?

vCash
    He has friends?

Money brings friends
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast