Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    The LW/RW deal is a bit overplayed. Last week guys were saying we did not have enough LW's. Cally/Nash/Gabs/Kreider have all played both wings. The team is full of left handed shots so there are plenty of guys that grew up playing the left side. The forwards do not skate their lanes after crossing over the red line anyway. They go all over the ice.

I really hope Kreider plays a regular shift when he gets back. I'd really like to see our skill players encouraged especially the young guys who need some encouragement.
    I agree but I wouldn't hold my breath either.

vCash
    We don't have any LW's that are top 6. We have two RW's that are top 6 and if one of them plays LW then we have one line....which is what we have right now. The young guys have to be able to play well at an AHL level before we can expect them to fill a top 6 role in the NHL. I think people are ignoring the fact that Kreider was mediocre at best this year with the Whale. Honestly he's better off spending the rest of the year there but the team seems to be rushing him because we have no good options to complete our top 6 outside of Nash, Richards, Gaborik, Stepan and Callahan(who is now injured). He hasn't earned his spot on the Rangers, Newbury deserves the spot more than Kreider. He has to be better, you can't just hand him the spot and hope for the best, he's not ready yet.

vCash
    Nash has played LW. Gabs has played LW. Richards has played LW. They all are lefthanded and have all played LW in the NHL at some point. It is not ideal but once they cross the blue line they all skate all over the ice. Besides that first line has played fine. There is nothing wrong with Hags as a 2nd line LW in my opinion. Hags had a good rookie season and was the 2nd best player on the Whale while down there. Kreider is ready to be a rookie. Being a rookie means he will have some growing pains while learning the game. I'm okay living with his growing pains but if you and Torts are not okay with it then call up Newburry. Kreider can be sent down. Hags can be sent down as well and we can call up some other 30 year old grinder. We just have different hopes and outlooks for the team. I remember Cally went almost all of his 2nd season with 2 assists until the last few weeks in his 2nd year. He did go down at one point but only after a injury. Sometimes a little bit of patience is rewarded down the road.

vCash
    Nash has played LW. Gabs has played LW. Richards has played LW. They all are lefthanded and have all played LW in the NHL at some point. It is not ideal but once they cross the blue line they all skate all over the ice. Besides that first line has played fine. There is nothing wrong with Hags as a 2nd line LW in my opinion. Hags had a good rookie season and was the 2nd best player on the Whale while down there. Kreider is ready to be a rookie. Being a rookie means he will have some growing pains while learning the game. I'm okay living with his growing pains but if you and Torts are not okay with it then call up Newburry. Kreider can be sent down. Hags can be sent down as well and we can call up some other 30 year old grinder. We just have different hopes and outlooks for the team. I remember Cally went almost all of his 2nd season with 2 assists until the last few weeks in his 2nd year. He did go down at one point but only after a injury. Sometimes a little bit of patience is rewarded down the road.
    The Rangers game is all about speed. That's why the signing of Arnott did make that much sense except for a big body, in front of the net on the PP.

Both Hags and Steps are showing signs of playing well and will break through on the scoring sheet soon. Steps has had many great scoring chances in the past couple of games, so I'm sure he'll see some goals soon. The best thing I saw on the stat sheet last evening is that he won nearly ever faceoff, which has been an issue of late. Hopefully that success continues and the goals start crossing for him.

Chris Kreider will not be going down to the minors, not with his body and speed. Maybe the reason he wasn't playing that well with the Whale was becasue of this ankle injury. He didn't get this injury while playing with the Rangers, he had it while playing with the Whale.

In the mean time I have no problem with Bickel playing wing on the 4th line. We have lost nearly every fight this season that didn't involve Stu, so I'm glad he's going to be given some ice time.

Nobody can replace Cally, so for now we just have to ride the ship with the first line. Who knows maybe the PP with Gabby on it will start to produce more. Then again, I'm not against throwing Boyle out there on the PP to front the goalie either.

I'm just glad the Cally's shoulder injury wasn't as bad as I orginally thought it would be!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apdamico View Post
    The Rangers game is all about speed. That's why the signing of Arnott did make that much sense except for a big body, in front of the net on the PP.

Both Hags and Steps are showing signs of playing well and will break through on the scoring sheet soon. Steps has had many great scoring chances in the past couple of games, so I'm sure he'll see some goals soon. The best thing I saw on the stat sheet last evening is that he won nearly ever faceoff, which has been an issue of late. Hopefully that success continues and the goals start crossing for him.

Chris Kreider will not be going down to the minors, not with his body and speed. Maybe the reason he wasn't playing that well with the Whale was becasue of this ankle injury. He didn't get this injury while playing with the Rangers, he had it while playing with the Whale.

In the mean time I have no problem with Bickel playing wing on the 4th line. We have lost nearly every fight this season that didn't involve Stu, so I'm glad he's going to be given some ice time.

Nobody can replace Cally, so for now we just have to ride the ship with the first line. Who knows maybe the PP with Gabby on it will start to produce more. Then again, I'm not against throwing Boyle out there on the PP to front the goalie either.

I'm just glad the Cally's shoulder injury wasn't as bad as I orginally thought it would be!
    I agree with a lot that you just said. I just want to see more skill players and less grind grind grind. I get frustrated when skilled young players are not shown patience or flexibility. I like seeing our younger more skilled players even when they go through some growing pains.

vCash
    I totally agree and that's why if anybody is called up I rather it be LW Brandon Mashinter. We just traded Kolarik for Ferrieo and bought him right up and he worked out pretty well.

Mashinter has the same body as Kreider, but not as fast. Then again, he's much more physical, so he might be the best fit if Kreider's injury is going to linger on. It would be better to shut Kreider down than to send him back to the Whale to skate on one good ankle. Besides, the reason we traded Grant for Mashinter was becuase of his big body and the fact that we thought he was closer to contributing at the next level sooner rather than later.

Then again I know Torts likes Newberry's game, so I'm not betting on this move!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apdamico View Post

Arnott had 17 goals on a third line last year, is a big body, won a cup and is good on faceoffs, that was pretty much why they wanted him.

Hagelin has to put the puck in the net, same with Stepan or we're going totally in the wrong direction.

As it stands our lines right now will be

Gaborik Richards Nash
    Hagelin Stepan Pyatt
    Rupp Boyle Ferriero
    Bickel Halpern Asham

I don't have any faith beyond that first line that we'd score goals. That lineup just looks awful right now. Before last nights game our first line had 19 points and the rest of the team 18. I love the fact that we got Nash but our depth really depleted with that deal. While Dubinsky and Anisimov might not have been first line guys they could easily fill in on any line on this team, we're missing those types of guys, maybe Pyatt is that type but I really think he's playing over his head right now.

vCash
    I'd be ok with signing Petr Sykora as a player to help this year. Just a contract to the end of the year ofcourse, he had 21 goals and 44 points last year and would be a good fill in for our 2nd line while Callahan is out and it would give Kreider some time to find his way. He is 37 so you aren't getting a young player but he is a winner and can score, something this team needs. We were about to give Arnott a contract so why not Sykora? We might be able to split up our lines a bit with him too and get someone for Gaborik to play with outside that top line.

vCash
    I'd be happy if he is anything like the Sykora of old. I'm surprised he is available.

vCash
    I'd be happy if he is anything like the Sykora of old. I'm surprised he is available.
    I'm surprised NJ didn't resign him, shocked really.

vCash
    I think we really need to break up the first line, not because of a lack of production, but I think we need more balence on the other lines and I am really interested to see how we can have a few deep lines.

Something like:

LW-C-RW
    Kreider-Richards-Nash
    Gaborik-Stepan-Callahan
    Hagelin-Miller-Halpern
    Bickel-Boyle-Pyatt

MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

St. Louis Cardinals:
    1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011
    New York Rangers:
    192728 193233 193940 199394
    New York Knicks
    :
    1970 1973
    New York Giants:
    1986 1990 2007 2011

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12