Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Jones is ranked ahead right now but most scouts see them flip floping all the way to the draft. Most think it'll be a posistional thing. They're both potential franchise plyers. Nobody picking 1 or 2 trades those picks this year. Barkov looks interesting but I haven't seen him much.

vCash
    Barkov's numbers have been consistently really impressive. He will most likely stay around the 4th or 5th spot.

The draft is a nice one, that's no doubt. There are more forwards this year it seems in the top 10 then D men, compared to last year when a lot of D were taken. If you look at last year though, I personally wouldn't have wanted Forsberg or Grigorenko as our top pick. I think Rielly was a very good idea by Burke.

Seth Jones is a stud. Whoever ends up with him will have a franchise d man on their hands. But it definitely will come down to what team gets that #1 pick. If it's Florida, for example, I would see them taking Jones because of their forward depth. Edmonton won't get the lottery pick again, at least let's hope not.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Max Domi will probably fall between 10-15, with 10 being the earliest he's taken. He has skill but I don't think he's a franchise, top 4 kind of player. Still has talent, though.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    The more and more i watch some of these centres i think the best ones might be a name we haven't been talking about... Valery Nischushkin. 6'3 195, doesn't have a major flaw in his game AT ALL. Maybe the best playmaking and passing ability of all the centres I've seen. His only flaw is his shot accuracy (more accurately his wrist shot) it needs to be improved but i honestly think this guy could be the centre Kessel needs. He has eyes on the back of his head. I obviously can't hear whether or not his teamates call for the puck but even if they do some of his plays are downright ridiculous. He should be a top 3 talent but WILL fall... because he's russian LOL. Thats the frightening part, he's been pretty outspoken about the KHL.

I like MacKinnon, Drouin, and such but if this dude is willing to come over and put in the time i would take him over many of the centres in this draft if not all. The russian thing will scare some teams and maybe he falls and we can grab him with another pick or if we draft out of the top 5 but he has the talent.

A little backstory: Dude has had multiple 80 goals seasons in Russia (first was 2010 at 16 yrs) in only 34 games (is currently a russian record). He's kinda like Mackinnion in a way (in terms of hype) but Russian, he scored 110 goals at the age of 14 in Russia, you don't even want to know how many assists he's racked up, you won't believe me. His all-time record in a season in 127.

He's in the KHL now and looks very good, not lighting it up but his defense is above average and he has a 65% faceoff rate. 4 points in 14 games in the KHL but was a PPG player in VHL (basically our AHL) against players closer to his age.

In an interview he said he wanted to play like Ovechkin with the success and intelligence of Crosby. Nice to hear IMO. And he tries to model his game after Crosby, especially in shootouts. Hasn't had a major injury in his life but at 14 years old had a knee scare after an off ice incident which was cleared up and hasn't affected him according to his coach.

The only reason i wouldn't take him over all the other centres is because of his KHL contract, he'd have 2 years left when he gets drafted (maybe 1, not sure), not a big deal because he may be 1 year away but i'm scared he stays over there. I think other teams are scared too so we may see a drop. After seeing him play i think he would be my #2 pick behind Jones with MacKinnion right on their tails. I've seen Jordan Staal with better offense as a comparison and even some Datsyuk comparisons. He's lanky but will fill out in time, and many say that he's more like a Rick Nash on the rush. ISS had him out of the 1st round after he signed that KHL contract but they moved him up because he is THAT good. ISS says that he's been one of if not the most dominant Russian for his age since Ovi (better that Yak in their opinion).

Best thing about him is that he is a gritty player, he mixes it up, plays the boards, and goes to the front of the net. If you can watch some of the recent WJC games, he was pretty good there and caught a lot of eyes.

vCash
    You've honestly have me convinced you haven't watched MacKinnon play outside of the World Junoirs. Dropping to 3rd is mental. But we get talk like that before drafts like last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    You've honestly have me convinced you haven't watched MacKinnon play outside of the World Junoirs. Dropping to 3rd is mental. But we get talk like that before drafts like last year.
    Why? Have you seen Valery play? I get your love for MacKinnon but he's not a lock to be the best in this draft. The kid is a special talent but he's neck and neck with a few players in this draft to go #1. MacKinnon doesn't have Elite vision, he has good vision but i think he's more shoot first. Don't like his size but he does play big.

All i'm saying is that Valery is in the Jones, MacKinnon conversation for me. When you watch him you will probably say the same.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    This MacKinnon - Jones debate reminds me of the 2008 draft with Stamkos - Doughty.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Optimized, have you watched Valery Nichushkin play outside of the World Juniors because if you have you would know he's a winger and not a center.

vCash
    ^ Nope he's playing wing now in the KHL because of the circumstance. In the MHL he played C and took 169 faceoffs there and won 65% of them. They moved him to the wing because he wasn't strong enough to take faceoffs against the big boys. He's played centre all his career and based on scouting reports he's always been pretty good against guys his age.

I haven't seen any full WJC games with him, only highlights. I never put stock into WJC games, new teamates, short tourney, just makes no sense. Lot's of players rise due to that tourney and then flame out in the NHL.

EDIT: I keep mixing up the league they have. He is in the KHL now (he is a winger), he last played in the VHL (their AHL), and he started in the MHL (their Junior). He has played centre in every league but the KHL and has over 300 FO taken in 2 years and a bit.
    Last edited by OptiMized; 01-31-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Wrong " HL"

vCash
    I agree on Mckinnon. Jones is coming on strong though and is seen as a franchise guy himself. I really don't think you could go wrong with either guy at number one or two. We do do this every year, likely out of boredom so we can debate something, but I think Jones has a legit chance of going first overall as opposed to years past with the Stamkos,Tavares draft classes etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Why? Have you seen Valery play? I get your love for MacKinnon but he's not a lock to be the best in this draft. The kid is a special talent but he's neck and neck with a few players in this draft to go #1. MacKinnon doesn't have Elite vision, he has good vision but i think he's more shoot first. Don't like his size but he does play big.

All i'm saying is that Valery is in the Jones, MacKinnon conversation for me. When you watch him you will probably say the same.
    You've obviously only seen bits of the kid. That statement is so off kilter. I've seen that kid live make plays that leave your jaw dropping. You wonder how the hell he saw what he saw. Not knockin you but dude lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    I agree on Mckinnon. Jones is coming on strong though and is seen as a franchise guy himself. I really don't think you could go wrong with either guy at number one or two. We do do this every year, likely out of boredom so we can debate something, but I think Jones has a legit chance of going first overall as opposed to years past with the Stamkos,Tavares draft classes etc.
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Jones goes first at all. He's an animal on the backend and physically ready ready now. MacKinnon, although not near physically ready as Jones, is capable enough and able bodied. Very strong and explosive Finess with a bit of bite is the best way to describe him. I think it's a positional draft 1-2 depending who picks. And yeah every year you have Craig Button wannabe's putting 5th ranked guys 2nd or 3rd and 11th ranked guys 5th or so. Seems like people wanna reach incase of fluke it actually happens so they can say I told you so.

vCash
    You've obviously only seen bits of the kid. That statement is so off kilter. I've seen that kid live make plays that leave your jaw dropping. You wonder how the hell he saw what he saw. Not knockin you but dude lol.
    Actually that wasn't my complaint, that was bobby mac. He said that was his weakness offensively, nothing major but he doesn't have that elite vision. I thought his vision was ok but after hearing Mac i changed my opinion, i trust in his scouting reports. That's the knock Bobby mac has on MacKinnon, and i think Button has another but i forget what is was.

vCash
    With Craig Button you could see MacKinnon drop 6 slots because Craig doesn't like the way he tapes his stick. That guy's a whack job.

vCash
    Button is the shock rock of the hockey world. He does it to gain attention, and it works. As far as Jones goes, if the guy is this big,mobile,strong etc at this age, imagine him when he's 23 or 24. We may be talking about a 6'7 or 6'8 dman who can do it all. Potentially a better version of Tyler Myers or Zdeno Chara type of impact. I don't think he's exactly like either guy but how many guys of that size can you really think of who are mobile,have hands etc?

vCash
    Yea but they have access to scouts and they poll scouts. 3 out of 10 scouts ranked Mackinnon to go #3 overall. 3 had him at #1 and 4 had him at #2. Jones was the only player to get all top 2 votes 7 1st place votes and 3 2nd place votes.

Barkov, Drouin, and Nichushkin received some 2nd and 3rd place votes too. This is a deep draft, it's be foolish to think of this as a two/three man race. Jones has locked up that #1 IMO, Mackinnon is close to locking that #2 but isn't their yet, Druoin is gaining steam in the eyes of scouts 2 of 10 had him above Mackinnon.

Leafs can't lose this draft year unless they trade the pick or make the playoffs.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast