Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Josh Smith to Houston trade?

Yahoo Sports stated ATL management is getting fed up with Josh and a move maybe made by the trade deadline.

Questions... If Josh Smith traded to Houston

1. Do you you expect Patterson and Morris to both be involved?
    2. Would you accept any trade where Parsons was involved?
    3. If D Mo or Jones had to be involved which one would you keep?
    4. Is there any way anybody sees Royce White involved with this trade?
    5. Should Douglas and Aldrich be moved if not involved in a Smith Trade?
    6. Do you pass on any Josh Smith trade and make only minor moves?
    7. Do you think Lin Hardin and Asik will not be anywhere near involved in this or any trade before trade deadline?
    8. Is this all crap and do you think Smith and ATL have no intention of moving Smith?

Open for discussion...

vCash
    Yes
    No
    Jones, probably.
    No
    Yes. That are plenty of available guys who could bea be dealt in smaller deals. Barbosa, Mozgov comes to mind.
    Probably.
    7. Do you think Lin Hardin and Asik will not be anywhere near involved in this or any trade before trade deadline?
    They won't be involved in any deals.
    8. Is this all crap and do you think Smith and ATL have no intention of moving Smith?
    Both want out. It seems pretty clear to me. I don't know why we would be trading for him after he said he is a max guy. If he will only take a max deal, and some team will offer him that, I don't think we should give up our assets for him, and then pay 17+ million next year.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Josh to Houston seems OK, as long we dont trade another 1st rd pick and keep Harden and Parsons..

vCash
    seems like Smith would be available soon

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/networ...ticleid=773685
    CALVIN ABUEVA

BEAST MODE: ON

vCash
    The real question you should be asking is whether they should trade for Josh Smith in the first place, and the answer is an emphatic no. While he does provide another versatile defender and rim protector on that side of the floor, offensively the Rockets need an efficient post presence and Smoove is about as far from that as it gets. About 55 percent of his shot selection comes from jump shots and his eFG% of those shots is a miserable .348, his TS% is an abysmal .479 (which would be embarrassing for a guard, much less a PF) and he's shooting worse than 50 percent from the foul line this year!!! As a player, he's actually regressing rather than getting better.

And the worst part of it all is that he thinks he is a max contract player and has openly admitted as much recently. So if the Rockets do trade for him, they'll almost immediately try to work on a long term contract to prevent him from hitting free agency. Not only do I not think he's worth a max deal, but the fact that he's been so terrible this season in a contract year leads me to believe that he may not be worth 4 years, $40 million.

Mark my words: if the Rockets trade for Josh Smith and give him a max deal, they will regret it.

vCash
    Don't trade Mook, and don't trade for Josh Smith.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderPearce View Post
    Questions... If Josh Smith traded to Houston

1. Yes... probably both
    2. It'd have to be a really enticing 3-team deal with Parsons going somewhere else for a decent young swingman
    3. D-Mo because he can play the 5
    4. Dump White - give him away if necessary, his potential is no longer worth the drama
    5. Aldrich would benefit from a move if it gave him more play time
    6. Trick Question - explanation below
    7. Doubtful they'll move their backcourt for anything
    8. ATL will entertain offers - what they have doesn't work, and anything that can jolt the team in a new direction is positive progress

Elaboration on #6. The thing is, J-smoove is a bit like the Jeremy Lin acquisition. He's a big name player despite not playing to his full potential yet. With a little guidance (maybe a big-man camp or two with Hakeem), and the right offensive pieces and plays, he's gonna be a beast. There will obviously be some transitional pains getting him acclimated to our system, but the main purpose of having him here is to bring that "big name" player to Houston, and to help dole out the leadership responsibilities to a front man who's got a couple of years over this young team.

Feed his ego a little bit, polish his game, and he can be a "Face" of this franchise along with our backcourt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyestx View Post
    There will obviously be some transitional pains getting him acclimated to our system, but the main purpose of having him here is to bring that "big name" player to Houston, and to help dole out the leadership responsibilities to a front man who's got a couple of years over this young team. Feed his ego a little bit, polish his game, and he can be a "Face" of this franchise along with our backcourt.
    I'm sorry dude, but I just cannot disagree with this more. The purpose of trading for or acquiring a PF should be to build a championship contender. The Rockets have a lot of cap space, but not enough that they could add Smith AND someone else. If they add another big player to this roster, he has to fill the holes on this team and make them the best basketball team they can possibly be. I don't care if the guy the Rockets bring in is a "big name" or not. If Morey believes Millsap or Jefferson are better fits, he should go after them and not Smith.

Remember, in the NBA, it is extremely difficult to unload bad contracts until their final season. If they bring in Smith and sign him to a five-year max contract, he had BETTER deliver in terms of the Rockets' needs. Because if he doesn't, we'll all be talking about "what ifs" for the next half-decade as the Rockets fight for the 4-6 seed and regularly get bounced in the first round every year. That's a nightmare I'm not looking forward to.

vCash
    If we trade for Milsap Harden may punch him in the mouth as soon as the plane lands.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'm sorry dude, but I just cannot disagree with this more. The purpose of trading for or acquiring a PF should be to build a championship contender. The Rockets have a lot of cap space, but not enough that they could add Smith AND someone else.
    Agreed... I'm only speaking on adding Smith, not Smith + someone else.

If Morey believes Millsap or Jefferson are better fits, he should go after them and not Smith.
    This was actaully addressed on yesterday's Rocketscast Live - after hearing the almost hour long podcast, I'm pretty convinced those two aren't a good fit here. They bang around in the paint and slow down the offense, we're a defense first-fast break and transition offense second. Neither one of them really fit that role.

Smith's had.. what 8 or 9 seasons in the league? I really don't think he's hit his ceiling yet, and just lacks a little proper guidance to really be great. Wherever he goes next will determine how people will remember him - he's gonna be either a franchise face alongside some really good young guys like a Lin and Harden, or he'll forever be a Journeyman with above mediocre stats but never worthy of "max salary" contracts.

I somehow doubt he'll be the latter... there's just too much moldable potential there.

I haven't played with the numbers but isn't it possible to have a lineup like this for the starting 5?

Asik - 5
    Smith - 4
    Parsons - 3
    Harden - 2
    Lin - 1
    Last edited by Snakeyestx; 01-30-2013 at 01:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyestx View Post
    Agreed... I'm only speaking on adding Smith, not Smith + someone else.
    No, but what you're saying is that the Rockets should add him because he's a big name. I'm saying the Rockets should be adding the best PF for what fills their needs, because they don't have the cap space to sign two big name players. Josh Smith does not fill their needs, therefore it doesn't make a ton of sense to sign him, regardless of how much popularity he brings the franchise.

This was actaully addressed on yesterday's Rocketscast Live - after hearing the almost hour long podcast, I'm pretty convinced those two aren't a good fit here. They bang around in the paint and slow down the offense, we're a defense first-fast break and transition offense second. Neither one of them really fit that role.
    But that won't always be the case. You forget that this is the youngest team in the league, but run and gun teams almost never legitimately contend. Eventually, you have to be able to play good half-court offense, and the Rockets fail in that regard quite often. A legitimate offensive post presence would change that. Also, don't forget that a good defensive rebounder is great for creating fast breaks. Asik helps tremendously in that regard, but a second elite rebounding big would be huge.

Smith's had.. what 8 or 9 seasons in the league? I really don't think he's hit his ceiling yet, and just lacks a little proper guidance to really be great. Wherever he goes next will determine how people will remember him - he's gonna be either a franchise face alongside some really good young guys like a Lin and Harden, or he'll forever be a Journeyman with above mediocre stats but never worthy of "max salary" contracts. I somehow doubt he'll be the latter... there's just too much moldable potential there.
    Okay... I've understood what you've been saying up to this point. But this statement is pretty insane. How many guys suddenly "get it" after being in the league for nine seasons? Seriously. I'd love you to find me a handful of players who make the leap after they've been in the league for a solid decade. It doesn't happen. Smith isn't all of a sudden going to stop taking 20-footers and start shooting 80 percent from the free throw line. In fact, he's gotten worse as he's gotten older, not better.

I haven't played with the numbers but isn't it possible to have a lineup like this for the starting 5?

Asik - 5
    Smith - 4
    Parsons - 3
    Harden - 2
    Lin - 1
    Of course they have the cap room to make that work, but that's not up for debate. What is up for debate is whether that starting five is capable of contending for the next 3-5 years. I would argue that it doesn't.

vCash
    Can someone tell me how much cap space you have next season. Different salaries for Lin and Asik from what I'm seeing.

As for Josh, notice it says "one source". Unless a Woj, Aldrige, or even Mark Stein is on it than it's just rumors. Not saying he won't get traded but he and his agent is suppose to have a meeting with the GM this week and they have a good relationship so we'll see.

vCash
    I want no part of Josh Smith and I doubt we have the pieces to get him unless Atlanta really wants him gone and takes a chance on DMo or Beverly or someone. Also, it would deplete our bench.

No thanks.

So what you're saying, Bosstone, is you want Josh Smith?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reffahead View Post
    Can someone tell me how much cap space you have next season. Different salaries for Lin and Asik from what I'm seeing.

As for Josh, notice it says "one source". Unless a Woj, Aldrige, or even Mark Stein is on it than it's just rumors. Not saying he won't get traded but he and his agent is suppose to have a meeting with the GM this week and they have a good relationship so we'll see.
    We should be right around 39 million after this year.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Okay... I've understood what you've been saying up to this point. But this statement is pretty insane. How many guys suddenly "get it" after being in the league for nine seasons? Seriously. I'd love you to find me a handful of players who make the leap after they've been in the league for a solid decade. It doesn't happen. Smith isn't all of a sudden going to stop taking 20-footers and start shooting 80 percent from the free throw line. In fact, he's gotten worse as he's gotten older, not better.
    I honestly feel like he's a product of his system in Atlanta. He doesn't know anything else because he's never been anywhere else. Right now, as you see it, he's a One-trick Pony, and I'd agree with you because he's a One-Team player up to this point. Put him in a new city, with a new team, surrounded by explosive youth, and give him responsibility in a leadership role... force him to grow up into a better game and he might turn out well. Lots of players have retooled their game (though mostly due to aging legs) but he's too young to write off as unchangable.

Other than that, to be honest, I'd MUCH rather grab JJ Hickson once his contract is up at the end of the season or try to entice Portland to let him go before the deadline.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast