Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

NY Knicks point guard Jason Kidd's becoming an increasing concern

(even though Mike Woodson expects him to play on Wednesday)

On Sunday, Kidd played just five minutes in the Knicks’ win over the Atlanta Hawks after being limited to just 15 minutes one night earlier in a loss to the Sixers.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Kidd's recurring back problems are a growing concern for the Knicks despite Mike Woodson saying on his weekly radio show that he expected the veteran point guard to be available for Wednesday’s game against the Orlando Magic.

On Sunday, Kidd played just five minutes in the Knicks’ win over the Atlanta Hawks after being limited to just 15 minutes one night earlier in a loss to the Sixers. The Knicks announced at halftime that Kidd would not return against the Hawks and that he was simply being rested.

However, a Knicks source said Kidd received treatment for his back during the game; he left the arena immediately after the game without speaking to reporters.

“He’s fine,” Woodson said on Sunday. “I just decided to rest him.”

The Knicks, though, have a recent habit of not being forthcoming regarding injuries. In October, they continued to list Amar’e Stoudemire as day-to-day with a sore knee until Stoudemire needed surgery and missed the first two months of the season. Rasheed Wallace was also listed as day-to-day with what the Knicks described as a sore left foot when in fact Wallace suffered a stress fracture. Wallace is now approaching seven weeks since he last played.

Even when Kidd missed the first of four straight games in November due to back spasms, Woodson said Kidd was a game-time decision even though Kidd did not even travel with the team to Brooklyn.

It is unclear as to why the Knicks are being secretive or in some cases misleading about injuries. By comparison, within the span of four hours on Sunday, the Boston Celtics announced that point guard Rajon Rondo had been taken to a local hospital to get an MRI and later updated Rondo’s status to being out for the season with a torn ACL.

The Knicks took a risk by signing Kidd, 39, and Marcus Camby, 38, to three-year contracts. Camby’s foot problems have limited him to 14 games while Kidd has appeared in 38 of a possible 42 games and is averaging 29 minutes. Wallace, 39, was signed to a one-year contract following a two-year sabbatical and the veteran forward has played in 20 games. Wallace recently denied a report that the foot injury would force him to retire.

The Knicks are 27-15 even though Woodson hasn’t had his entire 15-man roster available at the same time. In fact, the team’s top seven players — Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton, J.R. Smith, Stoudemire and Kidd — have only appeared in two games together. But Kidd has played only 20 total minutes since Felton returned and there is no guarantee that he’ll be healthy on Wednesday.

“I beat Jason Kidd up and he is a bigger part of this then you’d ever imagine,” Woodson said. “This is a marathon. One game isn’t going to determine anything. I’m going to need him for the long haul and I think he knows that.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2JQsl3l63

================================================== ====================

its kinda ironic i forgot who it was but i swear somebody up said the same thing about how they felt the knicks were horrendously secretive they were about injuries....

vCash
    Kidds almost 40 and many people his age have back issues. Not to mention he's a professional athlete so obviously his body has more miles on it then your average Joe. Hell, I'm in my mid 30's and in great shape but my back is always acting up on me. I'm sure it's just an issue that pops up every once in a while and rest and relaxation is basically the only way to treat it. He'll be fine. I'm more concerned with the footsie brothers Sheed and Camby.

vCash
    A huge part of this was that in the beginning of the season the Knicks were beating everyone by double figures and Kidd was able to rest many second halves. Now, he's being to asked to play at times when he should be resting.
    He is needed for the playoffs, in big games to keep them cool, and in tight close situations. If it's not one of these scenarios, then he should only be playing one 4-5 min spurt at MOST per quarter.
    With Felton and Shumpert back, Kidd has to play make and defend less. And Prigoni looks to have more energy, let him play.

vCash
    Not a big deal in my opinion -- the more rest he gets -- especially going into the all star break -- the better off we are.

We have Shump back as well -- I am confident Woody has best intentions and Kidd will be fine and limiting minutes is exactly the right way to go about things.
    you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to -pink floyd

1/23/14: This "team" is irreparably damaged

My Solution: Shut the team down until ALL current contracts expire. If players / coaches / execs can find jobs elsewhere - let them go get new contracts and cut ties completely.

Wait ~5years and relaunch as an expansion team.

Bring back 2 people -- no more, no less. 1: Walt Frazier 2: Herb Williams [Honorable Mention: Mike Breen]

vCash
    Age is not a Problem with any of the Knicks.....They are all Functioning great.

vCash
    ZACH RANDOLPH...... DAVID LEE...... JAMAL CRAWFORD
    23 and 10...........

vCash
    Find the guys rest whenever you can. I would even consider sitting him out today to give him another couple days.

vCash
    This article is pretty misleading. If there was increased concern they wouldn't have played him both games after stating pretty much until the tip he was gonna sit. He's got back issues like 90% of the older players in this league, there will be flare ups, but its nothing we didn't already know. Let him rest, this is the best stretch to do it.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    I dont mind shutting down kidd for a week. We need him later not now.

Quote Originally Posted by NYK_kidd77 View Post
    Lol how can you guys hate the knicks thats like going to the special olympics and booing.

vCash
    Horribly misleading and poorly written article. The Celtics waited 2 days before saying anything about Rondo and he was ruled by doctors as out for the year so then of course you would say something. The Knicks I'm sure have held up any announcements until a clear medical diagnosis is made and then verified through a second opinion. Kidd's back is a concern sure but it seems at this point he truly is day-to-day and ruled out for tonight. Woody said he needs to rest him more and keep his minutes down. We all know this and now that Felton is back Kidd can take some time off. It is important that he is back healthy and ready to go before the playoffs.

vCash
    Kidd is better coming off the bench.
    He is old like me. Coming off the bench will allow him to see whats going on and help coach. Felton & Shump are back, so he doesnt need many minutes.

BTW

The nics are not Lires
    People just need to stop asking questions about other peoples business.

vCash
    Jason Kidd is fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_badman View Post
    Kidd is better coming off the bench.
    He is old like me. Coming off the bench will allow him to see whats going on and help coach. Felton & Shump are back, so he doesnt need many minutes.

BTW

The nics are not Lires
    People just need to stop asking questions about other peoples business.
    Can't believe that I actually agree with you Mr Bad !!

vCash
    hopefully this is not a herniated disk
    Die hard Atlanta Braves, Dallas Cowboys and New York Knicks fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    This article is pretty misleading. If there was increased concern they wouldn't have played him both games after stating pretty much until the tip he was gonna sit. He's got back issues like 90% of the older players in this league, there will be flare ups, but its nothing we didn't already know. Let him rest, this is the best stretch to do it.

Agree 100% .. I been a fan of team-ballin pass-first PG-Kidd once Stocton retired.
    Jason Kidd was suppose to be our lockerroom-leader, bench-leader, court-leader, but he stopped after our 6 game win streak. It was easy to tell Kidd stop being our player/coach on this team when Kidd stop passing the ball to moving players (cutters), the ball-movement stop, the transition stop. For 30+ games we watch Kidd passing the ball mainly to a stand-still Melo or JR, no drives to the basket, no pick n rolls, no alley-oop passes, just passin the ball to non-moving players, and just setting-up for the 3-ball shot.

That is not Jason Kidd game, even at age 40...