Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    At this point, they probably need to sign Bourn even if it means overpaying a bit in the loss of the draft pick. Not saying they should be desperate and be held up by Scott Boras. But if he's really available on a 4-year deal at $12M-$13M per, it just makes too much sense to pass up.

I think it's just too much to ask fans in a NY market to put up with three years of doing nothing to help the big league team. And I also think sometimes in an offseason you have to overpay for that last piece that it takes to field a competitive team. Even if you give up a pick for Bourn, you end the offseason having lost Marte and a high pick from the farm, but having added d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, Bucera. The farm is still getting better. And the big league team still looks at least as good as last year, when they were actually competitive for the first half.

Building an organization to be a long term contender is a long process. You can't afford to ignore the needs of the big league team entirely while you carry it out. You ought you be able to build up the organization long term while also fielding a decent MLB team.

The Mets right now are a very young club, and for the most part, passing on free agents and relying on those young players right now makes some sense. It makes sense right now to go with an infield of Wright, Tejada, Murphy and Davis. It makes sense to be waiting on d'Arnaud in the catching spot. It makes sense to be relying on young arms like Niese, Harvey, and Gee in the rotation, and waiting on Wheeler. It even makes some sense in the pen not to overload it with pricey veterans when guys like Familia, Mejia, Mazzoni, Montero, Pill, and Goeddel can probably help as soon as this year.

But it doesn't make a lot of sense to go into a season with an oufield of Duda, Nieuwenhuis, and Baxter/Cowgill, when there is no one close on the farm worth waiting for, either. The team quite obviously needs a CF/leadoff guy. And the cost for one isn't likely to be less in another year. Especially if you add the cost of a lost season to the tab.
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe you were a big proponent of Nieuwenhuis prior to 2012. Why are you giving up on him already? He'll probably platoon with Cowgill.

Baxter/Brown looks like a possible very solid platoon to me. Baxter has very good on-base skills and is an above average runner. He could probably lead off in a pinch, as could Cowgill.

Duda to me is the huge question mark. How much will he hit? Will he hit enough? Will his defense be better in LF as opposed to RF?

We could always go after Ellsbury or Gomez next year, and I doubt Gomez gets as much as Bourn, even though he's younger and has a higher possible upside.

vCash
    Well, now that the bogus nonsense about Bourn is over the Mets still don't have any established MLers or notable prospects to play the outfield.

Is there anybody left?

Drew Stubbs? Bobby Abreu? Johnny Damon?

Manny?

Who?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe you were a big proponent of Nieuwenhuis prior to 2012. Why are you giving up on him already? He'll probably platoon with Cowgill.

Baxter/Brown looks like a possible very solid platoon to me. Baxter has very good on-base skills and is an above average runner. He could probably lead off in a pinch, as could Cowgill.

Duda to me is the huge question mark. How much will he hit? Will he hit enough? Will his defense be better in LF as opposed to RF?

We could always go after Ellsbury or Gomez next year, and I doubt Gomez gets as much as Bourn, even though he's younger and has a higher possible upside.
    "Baxter/Brown a very solid platoon "..Young what have you been drinking these days...please let me in on it, I want some !!!

What has either of these 2 done to merit your enthusiasm ?

I have never seen him play but my buddy in San Francisco says that Met fans will like Cowgill, he will be a surprise. He goes all out on every play.

vCash
    I think the Mets will add some OFer toward the end of ST. A high priced veteran that's cut and we can grab him while the other team pays the freight. A GMJ or Gary Sheffield type of deal.

vCash
    What an absolute and utterly contemptible failure by Spindy Alderson.

But yeah, they're gonna spend big NEXT Winter!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post

It's the difference between anticipating his arrival and actually seeing him play. After a nice start, ole Kirk got terribly exposed by MLB pitchers as not ready for primetime. At his age, with his history .. I think what we've seen is what we're going to continue to get.

As for the rest of our outfield, Duda has shown flashes of MLB ability at the plate, but we can only hope he can turn those flashes into steady production. The rest of the outfield - meh .. I don't know how many of them would make any other MLB roster. Who knows, maybe 'Damn Yankees' will come to life at Citi, but in everyday life, that wish is an example of the triumph of hope over experience.

vCash
    Alderson is nothing but a liar and a snake. This Bourn episode summed him up perfectly, talk a load of **** whilst doing nothing.

His remit basically amounts to finding creative new excuses NOT to spend money. This was another classic, knowing full well Bourn would cost a draft pick he then decides in late January 'It's time to sign an OF'er, but I'm not giving a draft pick up' - Ok Spindy.

He planned this from the outset, sat there and waited for the Pirates tom pass on Appel then started talking **** about protecting the pick which would have needed a rule change that was never going to happen.

More spin and lies from the PR GM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Alderson is nothing but a liar and a snake. This Bourn episode summed him up perfectly, talk a load of **** whilst doing nothing.

His remit basically amounts to finding creative new excuses NOT to spend money. This was another classic, knowing full well Bourn would cost a draft pick he then decides in late January 'It's time to sign an OF'er, but I'm not giving a draft pick up' - Ok Spindy.

He planned this from the outset, sat there and waited for the Pirates tom pass on Appel then started talking **** about protecting the pick which would have needed a rule change that was never going to happen.

Wait. He planned this going back to when the Pirates could not come to terms with Appel? Is that really what you meant? Who's doing the spinning?
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Alderson is such a creep...

vCash
    This outfield is a monumental debacle. We really couldn't afford Hairston at 2/5M? We're really going to have to watch Duda on a daily basis flail around out there like a dizzy five year old after twirling in circles? Please guys stop making excuses for this and do not ever use words like "solid" in connection with this outfield.

vCash
    It's almost unimaginable to fail this spectacularly, how did he do it?

3 OF spots, none filled by a starter, he lets the best OF'er leave and signs 3-4 guys that I wouldn't urinate on, and ends up with a WORSE OF than he started the off-season with!!!

Great job once again Sandy.

Tell me wtf are you any good at as a GM, if you haven't got a golden ticket to trade in? (apart from lying and spinning that is).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    "Baxter/Brown a very solid platoon "..Young what have you been drinking these days...please let me in on it, I want some !!!

What has either of these 2 done to merit your enthusiasm ?

I have never seen him play but my buddy in San Francisco says that Met fans will like Cowgill, he will be a surprise. He goes all out on every play.
    I like Brown on both sides of the ball and I agree on Cowgill. A's fans were not happy that they dumped him for a C prospect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post

Do you honestly believe that?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Marty Mcfly has officially gone bonkers lol.

Anyway, just a fun fact: Our two highest paid OFers are currently Jason Bay and Bobby Bonilla. LOL

But, on a more serious note, our OF should look like this:

LF - Duda
    CF - Kirk/Cowgill platoon
    RF - Baxter/Brown platoon

I also wouldn't disregard Valdespin either. He could very much play a factor in our OF.

This will be an interesting season for sure. I know this may sound a bit odd, but I am actually very excited to see how this cluster **** will work itself out.

Having said that, I am pretty damn sure my enthusiasm will dissapear if this OF begins to go down the path of total failure.

Should be interesting lol.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    am I the only one who'd try out valpespin in cf this spring training

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast