Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Alderson: Mets May Be Done Adding In Outfield

I posted this thread over three weeks ago in which Adam Rubin reported the "Mets may be done adding in outfield".

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...g-in-outfield&

For some reason it was closed, which is unfortunate since the outfield is still the team's biggest issue. The Mets still haven't signed any big league outfielders. Now this from Alderson.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...As1W0pHeGFiWRN

“We continue to look, but I think, realistically at this point, there’s not a lot left on the shelf,” general manager Sandy Alderson said on Sirius XM’s MLB Network Radio yesterday. “So at some point we have to realize that, well, perhaps the outfield is not the strength of our team. But at least going into spring training we may be looking at what we have and not being able to make an addition.”
    Of course Alderson is using weasel words, but I'd take this to mean "what you see is what you get" with the outfield.

What a surprise.

vCash
    If you need a reason why it was closed it was because of Mcfly and I arguing..

As for your other point, well aside from Bourn there are no FA OFs of any value left.

Left fielders
    Bobby Abreu (39)
    Johnny Damon (39)
    Bill Hall (33)
    Scott Podsednik (37)

Center fielders
    Michael Bourn (30) - declined qualifying offer
    Scott Podsednik (37)
    Grady Sizemore (30 and hurt till midseason)

Right fielders
    None

I dont know about you but i am not giving Scott Podsednik or Johnny Damon a starting job even with how bad our current OF is.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-30-2013 at 01:08 AM.

vCash
    “We continue to look, but I think, realistically at this point, there’s not a lot left on the shelf,” general manager Sandy Alderson said on Sirius XM’s MLB Network Radio yesterday. “So at some point we have to realize that, well, perhaps the outfield is not the strength of our team. But at least going into spring training we may be looking at what we have and not being able to make an addition.”
    Brilliant. The man is basically admitting he's starting the season without a major league quality starting outfielder.

Absolutely brilliant.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    The NY Mets will be featuring baseball's WORST outfield......

I thought the early '60's teams were bad, but this is ridiculous and embarrassing.....

New York '51er's (or whatever they're called) here we come.......

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Ploy vs Boras. My money says Alderson signs Bourn to a 4 year deal.

vCash
    As I said earlier, it's no use bemoaning the fact there's nothing left on the shelf when you have had 6 months to go shopping, what's up has Alderson been snowed in since October?

He's going to get crucified next season for this OF, and so he should be.

I simply refuse to believe he could not have improved the OF, that's unpossible.

At this point there's three scenario's left.

1. He improves the OF with at least one MLB quality player.

2. He's lying about money, and the cupboard is bare.

3. He's failed miserably, like he did with last years BP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    As I said earlier, it's no use bemoaning the fact there's nothing left on the shelf when you have had 6 months to go shopping, what's up has Alderson been snowed in since October?

He's going to get crucified next season for this OF, and so he should be.

I simply refuse to believe he could not have improved the OF, that's unpossible.

At this point there's three scenario's left.

1. He improves the OF with at least one MLB quality player.

2. He's lying about money, and the cupboard is bare.

3. He's failed miserably, like he did with last years BP.
    Yeah.

As GM, Sandy has managed to get a lot of value for two of three All Stars who had expiring contracts.

He also signed Shawn Marcum., a good major league starting pitcher, as a free agent

And he's done nothing else.

Zip.

Nada.

Bupkis.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I posted this thread over three weeks ago in which Adam Rubin reported the "Mets may be done adding in outfield".

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...g-in-outfield&

For some reason it was closed, which is unfortunate since the outfield is still the team's biggest issue. The Mets still haven't signed any big league outfielders. Now this from Alderson.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...As1W0pHeGFiWRN

Of course Alderson is using weasel words, but I'd take this to mean "what you see is what you get" with the outfield.

What a surprise.
    It was closed because the members of this forgot the golden rule. And treated each other with disrespect.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah.

As GM, Sandy has managed to get a lot of value for two of three All Stars who had expiring contracts.

He also signed Shawn Marcum., a good major league starting pitcher, as a free agent

And he's done nothing else.

Zip.

Nada.

Bupkis.
    I disagree.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I disagree.
    As do I.

vCash
    The outfield will be better than people think, it probably won't be good, but at least mediocre. Our platoons should work quite well, it just depends on how much Duda hits.

vCash
    Yeah the talk about us having no major league talent for the OF and the other things being said are really the extreme in one direction.

I don't know what everyone's issue is with Duda. He played half a year and everyone was excited to see him play. In his first full season (when a lot of young newer players struggle) he had problems. I know his defense is not there, but to completely write him off from an offensive standpoint is a little ridiculous.

I still think if he can mash he can be a real asset to an AL team as a DH.

vCash
    I would feel better about our outfield if we had Beltran type player in a corner. We have all poor quality players and the hope for next years FA seems like a big if. But if it costs the pick or a 5 yr deal, better to pass.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    At this point, they probably need to sign Bourn even if it means overpaying a bit in the loss of the draft pick. Not saying they should be desperate and be held up by Scott Boras. But if he's really available on a 4-year deal at $12M-$13M per, it just makes too much sense to pass up.

I think it's just too much to ask fans in a NY market to put up with three years of doing nothing to help the big league team. And I also think sometimes in an offseason you have to overpay for that last piece that it takes to field a competitive team. Even if you give up a pick for Bourn, you end the offseason having lost Marte and a high pick from the farm, but having added d'Arnaud, Syndergaard, Bucera. The farm is still getting better. And the big league team still looks at least as good as last year, when they were actually competitive for the first half.

Building an organization to be a long term contender is a long process. You can't afford to ignore the needs of the big league team entirely while you carry it out. You ought you be able to build up the organization long term while also fielding a decent MLB team.

The Mets right now are a very young club, and for the most part, passing on free agents and relying on those young players right now makes some sense. It makes sense right now to go with an infield of Wright, Tejada, Murphy and Davis. It makes sense to be waiting on d'Arnaud in the catching spot. It makes sense to be relying on young arms like Niese, Harvey, and Gee in the rotation, and waiting on Wheeler. It even makes some sense in the pen not to overload it with pricey veterans when guys like Familia, Mejia, Mazzoni, Montero, Pill, and Goeddel can probably help as soon as this year.

But it doesn't make a lot of sense to go into a season with an oufield of Duda, Nieuwenhuis, and Baxter/Cowgill, when there is no one close on the farm worth waiting for, either. The team quite obviously needs a CF/leadoff guy. And the cost for one isn't likely to be less in another year. Especially if you add the cost of a lost season to the tab.

vCash
    i agree our outfield doesn't look anywhere near great or even good but does any1 remember benny paton and timo. i mean come on, with that outfield no team should make it to the post season let alone WS. now lets not get it twisted, i'm not saying we're going to the post season but imo there r going to be pleasent supprises this yr.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast