Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,705
    vCash
    1500

    Tannenbaum Breaks Silence

    Some highlights...


    Ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum took full responsibility for and confirmed that the Tim Tebow trade was his idea.
    "It's just a trade that didn't work out," Tannenbaum said. "Ultimately that was my decision to trade for Tim. We thought there was a role for him. We thought it would give us a chance to make our offense more dynamic." Tannenbaum confirms that owner Woody Johnson was initially reluctant, but the trio, along with Rex Ryan, pursued it and made the deal happen. Hopefully this puts the Tebow drama to bed. He's fully expected to be released by the Jets this offseason.


    Ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum admits the five-year, $58.25 million extension he gave Mark Sanchez last March "doesnít look very good."
    "Our thinking on that was Mark is only one of five QBs in the history of pro football to win 30 or more games in his first three years," Tannenbaum said Tuesday. "Get cost certainty from a standpoint of we know what heís going to cost and he gets the benefit of some security." Tannenbaum also insisted the Jets' cap situation isn't as dire as it's been portrayed. "Youíll see in the next six weeks how it will pay out. ... Thereís a very detailed plan there." New GM John Idzik can only hope.


    Q&A Below

    ESPN NEW YORK

    Q: This is your first interview since being fired. What was your initial reaction?

    MT: Obviously, I was disappointed, but I certainly understood. Looking back, Iím really thankful to Woody (Johnson). I had 16 great years there, seven as the GM. It was a great, great run. It was really an exciting time for me. I had 16 wonderful years with the organization.

    Q: Were you blindsided?

    MT: I wasnít blindsided. When you go 6-10, you know itís a possibility. I donít think I was blindsided.

    Q: You could make the case that you were undermined by injuries, things out of your control. Do you think you got a raw deal?

    MT: We were 6-10 and I understand that. When that happens, everybodyís job is under review. Ultimately, it starts with me. I certainly understand that. Woody had to make a decision. Iím just really appreciative and grateful for the opportunity he gave me. He allowed me to fulfill a childhood dream. When he hired me, I was the youngest GM in the league. Iím really proud of the things we collectively accomplished as an organization over those seven years.

    Q: You've been criticized for giving Mark Sanchez a contract extension last March when he still had two years left on his rookie deal. Considering the way he played, do you regret that decision?

    MT: At the time we did it, our thinking was, Mark was one of five quarterbacks to win 30 or more games in his first three years. Each year he had been in pro football, he got better in touchdowns, quarterback rating. In the 2011 season, he had 32 touchdowns Ė 26 throwing, six rushing. He was a young, durable quarterback. Obviously, we didnít think heíd have 26 turnovers this year.

    We thought we were getting cost certainty for a guy we thought would be our quarterback for years to come. That was our thinking when we did it. Obviously, based on this year, it hasnít worked out that way yet. But I think Markís career is far from over.

    Q: Do you think your legacy with the Jets will be the Tebow trade?

    MT: I just hope my legacy is what my record is. Itís a record that was earned with a lot of great people that I had a laughs and hugs with, a lot of debate with, a lot of late-night meetings, a lot of early-morning strategy sessions. I hope thatís what my legacy is, that I got a chance to work with a lot of wonderful people and an owner that cared deeply about the team.

    Q: Looking back on the season, there must be some decisions you wish you could have back. What are you beating yourself up over?

    MT: The depth at certain positions. I think we had more depth at certain positions than others. In this salary-cap system, youíre never going to have the perfect player at every position. We just got hit with a lot of injuries. Some were bad luck, some were bad timing. Between that and some things that didnít bounce our way, the season didnít turn out the way we had hoped. When you make over 200-plus decisions, thereís some you wish you could have back sometimes.

    Q: Do you think you did a bad job as GM?

    MT: I think I did the job of a GM who was 61-58 (including playoffs). Thatís what our record is over seven years, so there was more good than bad. Obviously, getting agonizingly close to the Super Bowl two years ago, you look back at that. We were five points away in Pittsburgh in a great game, a hostile environment. Last year, we were 8-5 and didnít get eliminated until the second half of the last game.

    Q: How do you think the Darrelle Revis situation will play out?

    MT: I'm really proud of the fact that we drafted Darrelle. Weíve been able to figure out two contracts for Darrelle while I was there. In terms of the future, I know all the people involved -- Neil Schwartz, Jonathan Feinsod and John Idzik -- I know those three people pretty well and I think theyíll be thorough in their preparations.

    Q: Do you think he'll get traded or re-signed?

    MT: I sat in that seat, and itís not really fair for me to say. Those three people are very good at what they do. Theyíre very thorough and Iíll watch along with everybody else.

    Q: What would you do if you were still in charge?

    MT: Itís not fair for me to say because Iím not sitting in that seat anymore.

    Q: What was the highlight of your seven years?

    MT: Itís hard to say one thing. Even going back to the first year, (we had) a six-game turnaround. We had two first-rounders. People said we were too young, with Nick (Mangold) and Brick (Ferguson) and my inexperience and Brian Schottenheimerís inexperience and Eric Mangini's inexperience. Going to the playoffs in Year 1, that was a sense of fulfillment and vindication of a lot of things I truly believed in. Working with Rex (Ryan) in Year 1, getting into the playoffs somehow, beating Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in back-to-back playoff games the next year ... that was another thrill, getting agonizingly close to the Super Bowl.

    Q: What about the low point?

    MT: The day I got let go, for obvious reasons. It was a tough year. The losses were tough to deal with. The wins were satisfying, but the lows were lower than the highs were high. I remember Marty Schottenheimer always said you have 24 hours (to enjoy a win), but it turned into 24 minutes because you were on to the next practice-squad signing or waiver claim.

    Q: Do you think the team is better than the current perception?

    MT: Without question. Iím excited about the future. There are a lot of good players under contract, and I think John Idzik is going to do a really good job. Iíve known John for a long time. Heís really smart. Heís really thorough. Iím sure heís going to take the plans that were in place, tweak them and put his thoughts on it. I think the future for the team is really bright.

    Q: You have two years left on your contract. What's next? Do you want to stay in football?

    MT: I feel really good about my future. This has given me a chance to take a half-step back and look up, and Iím excited about the future. Being there so long, a piece of me will always be a Jet.

    STAR-LEDGER Article below

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...annenbaum.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,519
    vCash
    1500
    Well...I know a lot of people hate on him, and he obviously was part of some major decisions that went awry (sp?)

    I hope the above article shows he is a good person, well spoken, and speaks wit much dignity and shows respect to his past and those that were around him.

    Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,705
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
    Well...I know a lot of people hate on him, and he obviously was part of some major decisions that went awry (sp?)

    I hope the above article shows he is a good person, well spoken, and speaks wit much dignity and shows respect to his past and those that were around him.
    He has always been classy and respectful, and this interview was no different. Despite his recent failings as a GM, he has never said anything to throw his team under the bus. Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

    He was let go with two years left on his contract. He is getting paid by the Jets for the next 2 years, and his separation agreement has a non-disclosure agreement. How do I know this? Because all separation agreements have non-disclosure agreements.

    Tanny is taking full responsibility for all personnel decisions including Tebow because saying anything different would mean forfeiting two years worth of severance pay. He might not have been a great GM, but he's a very intelligent and well educated lawyer.

    So for those of you who believe Woody when he said that Tebow was not his idea, and now think Tanny's statement is "proof," I suggest you consider the circumstances and the sources.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29,184
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    He has always been classy and respectful, and this interview was no different. Despite his recent failings as a GM, he has never said anything to throw his team under the bus. Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

    He was let go with two years left on his contract. He is getting paid by the Jets for the next 2 years, and his separation agreement has a non-disclosure agreement. How do I know this? Because all separation agreements have non-disclosure agreements.

    Tanny is taking full responsibility for all personnel decisions including Tebow because saying anything different would mean forfeiting two years worth of severance pay. He might not have been a great GM, but he's a very intelligent and well educated lawyer.

    So for those of you who believe Woody when he said that Tebow was not his idea, and now think Tanny's statement is "proof," I suggest you consider the circumstances and the sources.
    Well it proves one thing, Mr. Magoo. It proves that you wealthy college boys don't have the education enough to admit when you're wrong.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Abyss
    Posts
    4,295
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    He has always been classy and respectful, and this interview was no different. Despite his recent failings as a GM, he has never said anything to throw his team under the bus. Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

    He was let go with two years left on his contract. He is getting paid by the Jets for the next 2 years, and his separation agreement has a non-disclosure agreement. How do I know this? Because all separation agreements have non-disclosure agreements.

    Tanny is taking full responsibility for all personnel decisions including Tebow because saying anything different would mean forfeiting two years worth of severance pay. He might not have been a great GM, but he's a very intelligent and well educated lawyer.

    So for those of you who believe Woody when he said that Tebow was not his idea, and now think Tanny's statement is "proof," I suggest you consider the circumstances and the sources.
    So I guess you have some "proof" of a cover-up, right? That everyone except you is and has been crazy all along when these were merely opinions of which NO ONE had inside information. This report and Woody's assertion puts egg all over your face but no one knows for certain the "real" truth.

    You might take your own advice and consider sources and circumstances yourself. This by no means proves anything just as your assertion didn't months ago. Posters have opinions and with today's media, we all have to make assumptions and choose to believe some reports and not others.
    Last edited by jetsforever; 01-30-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Took out parts of the quote that will cause problems. Stop trying to argue with everyone please.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    159
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    So I guess you have some "proof" of a cover-up, right? That everyone except you is and has been crazy all along when these were merely opinions of which NO ONE had inside information, This report and Woody's assertion puts egg all over your face but no one knows for certain the "real" truth.

    You might take your own advice and consider sources and circumstances yourself. This by no means proves anything just as your assertion didn't months ago. Posters have opinions and with today's media, we all have to make assumptions and choose to believe some reports and not others.
    Last edited by jetsforever; 01-30-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Deleted portion of the quotes

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canadian In Michigan.
    Posts
    42,059
    vCash
    1500
    Probably the best GM in Jets history. Great career for us.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,705
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Well it proves one thing, Mr. Magoo. It proves that you wealthy college boys don't have the education enough to admit when you're wrong.
    Don't be jealous because you couldn't get into a fancy clown college like I did. Your red nose is just as good as mine.

    I'm not claiming that Tanny is lying. I never claimed that his statements are false. I'm simply pointing out that they could be because if there is a truth to be told, Tanny is not in a position to tell it. He might be telling the truth, but if he's not it's because he's not going to leave money on the table.

    I've actually been one of the people who didn't believe that Rex was making the personnel decisions, not Rex. The fact that Tanny said what he said doesn't prove I was right either.

    None of us were in those rooms. None of us know the truth. If somene thinks the words of a man protecting his own money proves anything, then they aren't as wise as they think.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Don't be jealous because you couldn't get into a fancy clown college like I did. Your red nose is just as good as mine.

    I'm not claiming that Tanny is lying. I never claimed that his statements are false. I'm simply pointing out that they could be because if there is a truth to be told, Tanny is not in a position to tell it. He might be telling the truth, but if he's not it's because he's not going to leave money on the table.

    I've actually been one of the people who didn't believe that Rex was making the personnel decisions, not Rex. The fact that Tanny said what he said doesn't prove I was right either.

    None of us were in those rooms. None of us know the truth. If somene thinks the words of a man protecting his own money proves anything, then they aren't as wise as they think.
    We should be able to close the book on this one. The fact that Woody and Rex both exonerated themselves and Tanny openly admitted it should be enough. This will probably be the last word on the subject, ever, I don't see a leak coming out in the future saying otherwise so we have to take it for what it's worth.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,705
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattty Drips View Post
    We should be able to close the book on this one. The fact that Woody and Rex both exonerated themselves and Tanny openly admitted it should be enough. This will probably be the last word on the subject, ever, I don't see a leak coming out in the future saying otherwise so we have to take it for what it's worth.
    I'm anxiously awaiting the Tanny tell-all book to hit the stands in about 2 years when his contract and the non-disclosure agreement expire.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brandon, FL
    Posts
    197
    vCash
    1500
    Tanny is a stand up guy. He was the GM he made the calls on personnel for the most part. We have to accept this as being the truth. And yes I hope we don't have to hear bout this topic again.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I'm anxiously awaiting the Tanny tell-all book to hit the stands in about 2 years when his contract and the non-disclosure agreement expire.
    I am sure no one will give a crap about Tebow, or what Tannenbaum will say about him in 2 years.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,705
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattty Drips View Post
    I am sure no one will give a crap about Tebow, or what Tannenbaum will say about him in 2 years.
    Of course they won't. Two years from now, the media and fans will have moved onto a new most hated list.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    571
    vCash
    1500

    Tannenbaum Breaks Silence

    Why are we hated by the media, I just don't get it ?


    PSD"S JETS FORUM SURVIVOR LEAGUE CHAMPION 2013

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,705
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LwNyjets88 View Post
    Why are we hated by the media, I just don't get it ?
    We aren't hated by the media. Unfortunately, some of "we" or us are sheep who follow the media blindly.

    Then there are some who are so anti-media that they assume everything the media reports has to be garbage or false.

    The media doesn't really even hate the Jets. Well some of them do, but many of them are just doing their jobs in the only way they know how. Sadly, what currently passes for journalism in the social media driven society in which we live, the true journalist has become an endangered species.

    Too many of today's "journalist" think it's their job to rile the masses instead of reporting the news because if they don't, someone else will.


    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •