Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    9,556
    vCash
    1500

    WWE: The WWE Since SummerSlam: Was It All a Dream?

    There are a lot of disappointed CM Punk fans out there right now.1 There are a lot of people who are peeved that The Rock won the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble, a lot of guys who were so invested in the villainous Punk being the face (no pun intended) of the WWE that they probably woke up Monday morning hoping that Sunday had been a bad dream.

    I've got news for you — I think it was all a dream. But I'm not just talking about the Rumble's title match. I'm talking about the past five months. Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself.

    I can't be the only one who had an eerie feeling of déjà vu after Monday night's episode of Raw. Vince McMahon was back, throwing his weight around despite his presumptive removal from managerial power. It was a form of Vince we haven't seen since he crowned AJ Lee the general manager of Raw last July.2 On Monday, with Vince seemingly in charge and intent on firing Paul Heyman, Brock Lesnar returned to save his erstwhile adviser, F-5ing McMahon and functionally resuming his rivalry with the WWE family dynasty. In other news, Chris Jericho made a shocking return at the Rumble to continue his fight with Dolph Ziggler, who had forced Jericho's retirement not so long ago. Daniel Bryan and Kane beat the Rhodes Scholars to keep their tag titles on Sunday, but their partnership is fraying and they're seemingly headed back into a feud. If you'll recall, their collaboration grew directly out of a feud in the first place. To top it off, John Cena is your no. 1 contender to the WWE Championship, and he was in the ring on Monday night talking about how he's going to defy the odds and win at the next pay-per-view event.3 As is the norm at this time of year, WWE took all its major narratives and reset the table, but all of a sudden the road to WrestleMania feels unsettlingly like the road to last August's SummerSlam.

    To top it all off, the feud between The Rock and CM Punk, which continued Monday night, was restarted in December after a five-month hiatus. It began on the 1,000th episode of Raw, when The Rock declared that he'd be wrestling for the title at the Rumble, and Punk — then a good guy — attacked him. Had The Rock been anybody but The Rock, had he been a guy on a regular contract and not an occasional performer, an attack like that would have obviously meant that the two would end up fighting at the next PPV — which, needless to say, would have been SummerSlam.

    Monday's Raw could have just as easily aired the night after SummerSlam and nobody would have blinked an eye. Five months have passed and all we have to show for it are Chris Jericho's new tattoos. It wasn't the Punk fans who woke up from a bad dream. It was the entire WWE.

    The nightmare in this case is CM Punk's reign of evil. It's the Freudian notion that dreams are unconscious wish fulfillment, except the dreamers are the meta-fans and reality belongs to Vince. On Monday, after being beaten by The Rock the night before, Punk was a raving mess. First he insisted that he was still champion because McMahon restarted the match after Punk had pinned The Rock. Later, he interrupted the new champ's victory speech, ranting that the WWE Championship "is prestigious because I made it prestigious" while The Rock stood in the ring and looked at Punk like he was crazy. Maybe he is crazy. Maybe none of that happened at all.

    In any case, McMahon closed the show in full Vince Ex Machina fashion. Almost literally overnight, McMahon unraveled and delegitimized the past few months of genuinely interesting and nuanced WWE storytelling by unleashing a retroactive story line H-bomb. For months, it was unclear if Brad Maddox and The Shield were in cahoots with Heyman and Punk, or if they were working for someone else, or if they were simply acting on their own. McMahon settled that Monday by releasing a video in which Heyman was shown cavorting with Maddox and The Shield and admitting that he'd hired them. The video is a sight to behold — Heyman turning to the cameraman and saying to turn off the camera, then admitting his whole scheme. (This opens up the intriguing possibility that Heyman is both the most conniving man in wrestling and the dumbest, which is probably not too far from Vince's perception of the truth.) It was the Romney 47 percent tape reset in the WWE gladiator's pit. There was no interrogation, no accumulation of evidence — there was only a moment of realization and the negation of all that had come before, with the joy apparent all over Vince's face. He seemed to relish scrapping five months' worth of scripts.

    It's unclear how the WWE's chairman of the board has the power to fire Heyman, an informal adviser to one of the company's wrestlers; it's even more unclear how chartering a few cronies to help win a fight is a fireable offense in the world of pro wrestling. It happens every other week. But let's set aside those inconsistencies. What Vince — what the WWE — effectively did with that video was to expunge everything that happened in the latter half of Punk's reign, at least since Maddox helped him win at Hell in a Cell. I mean, sure, it happened, but if it happened so dishonestly, does it really count?

    Punk wasn't even there to defend his role in the scheme. He had been escorted out by security, and Vince was apparently only concerned with punishing Heyman, his erstwhile rival. Despite the whole issue being Punk's recently ended championship reign, you'd be forgiven if, by the end of the segment, you'd forgotten that Punk and Heyman were an item at all. Lesnar came in to interrupt the firing, demolished McMahon, and we were right back where we were five months ago, before Lesnar "quit" and Heyman took up with Punk.

    It remains to be seen if Triple H will return from the boardroom to defend WWE's corporate honor, but that's where things seem to be heading. The Rock and Cena will almost definitely be in the main event at Mania. Everything's back the way it was before, like nothing ever happened.

    Like it was all just a dream. It's the Bobby Ewing Corollary from Dallas, imported into WWE. At the beginning of the 10th season of the '80s TV drama Dallas, the show revealed in a still-famous shower scene that the entire previous season had been a dream. Crimes that had been committed weren't actually real. Characters who had died weren't actually dead. Well, WWE has just pulled off a small-scale version of this ruse on WWE fans. I know what you're thinking: That's a stretch. And I agree — I mean, if they really wanted to reference a TV show that went off the air two decades ago, they'd probably give us a hint, right? Perhaps a character named Bo Dallas, who appeared for no reason and out of nowhere? Who won his way into the Royal Rumble by winning a contest between NXT wrestlers the day of the show? Who celebrated his win by recording a celebratory interview in, of all places, the shower?

    OK, OK, maybe I'm taking this too far. Maybe I'm seeing things where there's nothing. But the next time you talk about Punk's epic 434-day reign and somebody looks at you like you're crazy, and tells you it was all a dream, don't say I didn't warn you.

    Heck, maybe we're going even further back in time, to a moment 15 years ago when Heyman was something approaching actual competition for McMahon and WWE — when he was actually a worthy rival for McMahon and not just another fireable peon. When Heyman was a competing "no-good, swindling promoter," as Punk called Vince earlier on Monday's Raw. There was a moment when Heyman thought the camera was switched off, and his whole demeanor changed — he was suddenly the scheming villain, too harsh and wily to jibe with his current on-screen character. Vince grilled him, asking if that was indeed him on the video, and Heyman denied it. "That's not Paul Heyman," he answered. Because it wasn't — Heyman is the businessman half of his personality, the public face. The bad guy? That's Paul E. Dangerously.

    Is that the trade-off for having the last five months be a dream? I think a lot of the people who're mad that Punk lost the belt would be happy to take that swap. If WWE wants to re-adjudicate the end of ECW, they will, because the past is never settled until Vince decides it is.

    Vince said that the video revealing Heyman's duplicity came from an anonymous source. It doesn't matter if the source is ever revealed — whether it's Maddox or a conscience-stricken cameraman — because the real source of that video is Vince, who has decided to rewrite history. When he walked onto the stage in the waning moments of the Rumble and restarted the Punk-Rock match that Punk had seemingly won, Vince wasn't just interrupting the card. He was interrupting the last five months of story line. He wasn't restarting one match, he was resetting the playing field.

    None of this means WrestleMania will be compromised — it doesn't even mean Punk won't be in the main event along with Rock and Cena. We don't know what's going to happen. But it does mean that the sort of fans that were decrying Punk's loss need to remember what they're watching every Monday night. This is still Vince's WWE. I mean, did you really think everything had changed? That WWE was suddenly the company you'd always hoped it would be? Wake up, guys.
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...t-way-likes-it


    TIME TO GET ANOTHER ONE. #DALLAS2DALLAS #BALLISLIFE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    england
    Posts
    312
    vCash
    1500
    The WWE is just a mess right now. I have always thought it has gotten worse each year since the attitude era. I watched summerslam 2005 a few weeks ago and I quite enjoyed it compared to now, but at the time I thought it was crap. This just proves how stale the product has become.

    I doubt I will watch anymore after Wrestlemania.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    39,149
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
    The WWE is just a mess right now. I have always thought it has gotten worse each year since the attitude era. I watched summerslam 2005 a few weeks ago and I quite enjoyed it compared to now, but at the time I thought it was crap. This just proves how stale the product has become.

    I doubt I will watch anymore after Wrestlemania.
    I have never been more optimistic in the last 10 about this company as I am right now. I think they're starting to get it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    england
    Posts
    312
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I have never been more optimistic in the last 10 about this company as I am right now. I think they're starting to get it.
    It always improves a bit at this time of the year, but after Mania when the Rock, Undertaker, HHH, Lesnar, J2J all disappear again we will be left with Cena burying anyone who has a chance of progressing to genuine main event status. Cena has to turn heel or just disappear for a year so other guys can prosper. He has played the superman character now for 8 years FFS.

    The last guy who was turned into anything resembling a star was Batista and that was in 2005.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11,214
    vCash
    1500
    WWE's problem is keeping it consistent throughout the year. They plan Mania well but they don't plan for anything else, not even Summerslam anymore unless its a big big match (think Lesnar/HHH, HBK/Hogan, etc)..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Mecca
    Posts
    13,480
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
    It always improves a bit at this time of the year, but after Mania when the Rock, Undertaker, HHH, Lesnar, J2J all disappear again we will be left with Cena burying anyone who has a chance of progressing to genuine main event status. Cena has to turn heel or just disappear for a year so other guys can prosper. He has played the superman character now for 8 years FFS.

    The last guy who was turned into anything resembling a star was Batista and that was in 2005.
    In the past year Cena put over Ziggler/Punk(6 times)/Ryback.... The Cena vs Ziggler feud is really what pushed Ziggler over the top into main event status finally
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Lololololololololol

    This is the man you choose represent PWW and fight me for my PWW title?!?!?!

    This is going to be my easiest PWW match EVER!!!!

    I can't stop laughing at the thought of you making up your mind and deciding that Mbellz being your choice.

    This is going to be a piece of cake.

    12 - 15 - 13 The Day Mbellz killed the IWC and became The PWW Champion of The World

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MASS
    Posts
    45,144
    vCash
    1500

    WWE: The WWE Since SummerSlam: Was It All a Dream?

    So many raws sucked during punks reign (not entirely punks fault cause he doesn't controll everything he was just champ) that the direction they were going wasn't working

    Last Monday got me genuinally excited for wrestling most importantly wrestlemania and the EC

    There is still change

    Punk is a main eventer
    Bryan is the most over it seems like
    ziggler got trusted into the spotlight
    The face turn for del rio has worked tremendously
    Shaemus is a big player in the wwe now during punks reign more than ever
    Cesaro seems like a future world champ and has made the us title more relevant than it has been

    Those things aren't going away and guys like rock, lesnar, McMahon, triple h, Jericho would give these guys a bigger platform to strut there stuff


    It's always been vinnie macs wwe that will ever change even in the punk reign that didn't change. He's giving more power to trips but it seems McMahon still has the final say and will continue to do so until he's ready to step aside. This is Vince's baby it always has been and always will be and Vince will always call the shots no matter what

    Maybe the grant land writer was dreaming about a new wwe which hasn't happened yet during punks reign

    The Biggest Event Of the PSD Calendar Is Here!!!
    POSTERMANIA 4!!! Come Challenge a fellow PSD Friend
    Or Rival to a brawl and see Who the better poster is!!!!!
    Need More Details? Click Here or PM me! -Owner Riv

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Mecca
    Posts
    13,480
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Riveramk2 View Post
    So many raws sucked during punks reign (not entirely punks fault cause he doesn't controll everything he was just champ) that the direction they were going wasn't working

    Last Monday got me genuinally excited for wrestling most importantly wrestlemania and the EC

    There is still change

    Punk is a main eventer
    Bryan is the most over it seems like
    ziggler got trusted into the spotlight
    The face turn for del rio has worked tremendously
    Shaemus is a big player in the wwe now during punks reign more than ever
    Cesaro seems like a future world champ and has made the us title more relevant than it has been

    Those things aren't going away and guys like rock, lesnar, McMahon, triple h, Jericho would give these guys a bigger platform to strut there stuff


    It's always been vinnie macs wwe that will ever change even in the punk reign that didn't change. He's giving more power to trips but it seems McMahon still has the final say and will continue to do so until he's ready to step aside. This is Vince's baby it always has been and always will be and Vince will always call the shots no matter what

    Maybe the grant land writer was dreaming about a new wwe which hasn't happened yet during punks reign
    That I don't think any thought would happen. I thought Adr face turn would be very bad for him. All thought is going plus you have the all the younger/newer guys who will be in their first WM Ryback/Ryblack/Sheild/Bo Dallas(if this feud with wade goes anywhere)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Lololololololololol

    This is the man you choose represent PWW and fight me for my PWW title?!?!?!

    This is going to be my easiest PWW match EVER!!!!

    I can't stop laughing at the thought of you making up your mind and deciding that Mbellz being your choice.

    This is going to be a piece of cake.

    12 - 15 - 13 The Day Mbellz killed the IWC and became The PWW Champion of The World

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    63,579
    vCash
    2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbellz3o8 View Post
    That I don't think any thought would happen. I thought Adr face turn would be very bad for him. All thought is going plus you have the all the younger/newer guys who will be in their first WM Ryback/Ryblack/Sheild/Bo Dallas(if this feud with wade goes anywhere)
    Yep. It's a slow move but when you dig a hole that deep they dug it's going to take time to get out of it. You can still see HHH's influence in the company as well. Less divas matches, more tag matches etc.



    Catches: Yards: TDs:

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    england
    Posts
    312
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbellz3o8 View Post
    In the past year Cena put over Ziggler/Punk(6 times)/Ryback.... The Cena vs Ziggler feud is really what pushed Ziggler over the top into main event status finally
    He never put Ziggler over. Ziggler only managed to beat him with help from AJ. I can't remember Punk beating Cena clean. How did he put over Ryback?

    The only person you could argue he did put over was the Rock FFS.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Mecca
    Posts
    13,480
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
    He never put Ziggler over. Ziggler only managed to beat him with help from AJ. I can't remember Punk beating Cena clean. How did he put over Ryback?

    The only person you could argue he did put over was the Rock FFS.
    Hardy vs Taker a few years back as example of putting someone over..... Everyone rems that match on RAW ABA Taker vs Hardy in a ladder match.... Hardy busted his *** and put on a hell of a match but lost to taker.. I would say that helped get him over as big time player. Winninng/loosing doesn't really affect if someone puts someone "over" how they are on the mic. Punk lost to work but yet just him being the match with Rock will help his career in the long run. Rock vs Punk was by far Punks best feud of his championship run and he held his ground vs one of the greatest of all-time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Lololololololololol

    This is the man you choose represent PWW and fight me for my PWW title?!?!?!

    This is going to be my easiest PWW match EVER!!!!

    I can't stop laughing at the thought of you making up your mind and deciding that Mbellz being your choice.

    This is going to be a piece of cake.

    12 - 15 - 13 The Day Mbellz killed the IWC and became The PWW Champion of The World

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,410
    vCash
    1500
    Yea I certainly don't see how Cena put over Ziggler in any way. Unless you think just being in a program with him is 'putting him over'. Cena beat em on back to back RAWs with interference from Big E and AJ and kicked out of 5 different finishers. When Ziggler cut a nice promo on Cena - Cena returned serve and practically buried Ziggler with what he said and then non-ironically dropped a bucket of fake crap on him.

    Cena has really been a very poor 'sport' for the last couple of years - for a guy who rec'd the rub with clean wins over JBL, HBK, and HHH .. he very rarely seems to be willing to return the favor unless.. like in the Rock's case he gets his win back this year. And probably takes the 'Best of 3' next year...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    england
    Posts
    312
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbellz3o8 View Post
    Hardy vs Taker a few years back as example of putting someone over..... Everyone rems that match on RAW ABA Taker vs Hardy in a ladder match.... Hardy busted his *** and put on a hell of a match but lost to taker.. I would say that helped get him over as big time player. Winninng/loosing doesn't really affect if someone puts someone "over" how they are on the mic. Punk lost to work but yet just him being the match with Rock will help his career in the long run. Rock vs Punk was by far Punks best feud of his championship run and he held his ground vs one of the greatest of all-time....
    I agree with your point and that is one of my favourite matches in Raw history. But Cena has never done anything similar to anyone.

    Austin made HHH an even bigger star and in their feud in late 2000/early 2001 which culminated in HHH winning clean over Ausin at 'No Way Out'.

    Cena has been the main guy for 8 years and has not made anyone a star. The closest he came was with Edge but Edge was well on the way by that time anyway. Even HHH and Hogan, 2 of the most well known selfish people in the business, elevated stars.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Mecca
    Posts
    13,480
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
    I agree with your point and that is one of my favourite matches in Raw history. But Cena has never done anything similar to anyone.

    Austin made HHH an even bigger star and in their feud in late 2000/early 2001 which culminated in HHH winning clean over Ausin at 'No Way Out'.

    Cena has been the main guy for 8 years and has not made anyone a star. The closest he came was with Edge but Edge was well on the way by that time anyway. Even HHH and Hogan, 2 of the most well known selfish people in the business, elevated stars.
    I agree with you 100% on what your saying but Cena had a hand in Punk and Ziggler getting over. Punk has owned Cena the past 2 years,
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Lololololololololol

    This is the man you choose represent PWW and fight me for my PWW title?!?!?!

    This is going to be my easiest PWW match EVER!!!!

    I can't stop laughing at the thought of you making up your mind and deciding that Mbellz being your choice.

    This is going to be a piece of cake.

    12 - 15 - 13 The Day Mbellz killed the IWC and became The PWW Champion of The World

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MASS
    Posts
    45,144
    vCash
    1500
    Winning a match =/= putting a wrestling over. Winning a match can be the ultimate push depending the circumstance but Those are two separate things and he beat cena. Wo cares if AJ helped it was a TLC match where there is NO DQ!

    So I guess ADR wasn't put over by big show at the rumble cause he needed Ricardo to duck tape big shows feet to the rope right? Cause it's the same god damn thing!

    If you can't see that ziggler was put over by cena as someone who can be in the main event then your hatrid for cena and wwe won't ever let you see things logically

    The Biggest Event Of the PSD Calendar Is Here!!!
    POSTERMANIA 4!!! Come Challenge a fellow PSD Friend
    Or Rival to a brawl and see Who the better poster is!!!!!
    Need More Details? Click Here or PM me! -Owner Riv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •