Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think the point he was trying to make is that his impact goes beyond just his catches. In his prime, your safeties were lined up way off the ball. That opens up a lot of things for people underneath. It's no coincidence that Moss played on 2 of the all time great scoring offenses. His presence as the all time great deep threat changed the way defenses played like no other receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    This is how I like to think about it. Rice had two of the best quarterbacks of all time. I'm not taking anything away from him, but if Moss had any kind of quarterback consistency through the early part of his career he may have been able to make a case as GOAT.

The difference between the two is consistency. If Moss could have been consistent, I think he would have become the greatest
    No the difference between the two is desire, work ethic and drive. Jerry in his prime was a 15 years long, with his crowning season coming at age 33 when he had the following stat line: 122 rec // 1848 yds // 15.1 avg //15 TD's

Randy who?

vCash
    davebirkett: Jerry Rice: Calvin Johnson is "without a doubt" the best receiver in the NFL right now, could be in greatest ever discussion in a few years

AnwarRichardson: Jerry Rice just said #Lions WR Calvin Johnson is hands down the best receiver in the #NFL right now. Loved Calvin's work ethic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think the point he was trying to make is that his impact goes beyond just his catches. In his prime, your safeties were lined up way off the ball. That opens up a lot of things for people underneath. It's no coincidence that Moss played on 2 of the all time great scoring offenses. His presence as the all time great deep threat changed the way defenses played like no other receiver.
    Like the 49er offenses that had Jerry weren't consistently the best in the league? Like Jerry wasn't routinely double teamed opening things for the likes of Craig, Watters, Hearst, Taylor, Jones... even JJ Stokes!!! Short memories.

vCash
    Yeah, I take CJ over Moss any day.

I hope no one thinks that I am anti-Moss. I think he is a great player, top 10 at his position, but no where near Jerry at any stage in his career.

vCash
    Mike Irvin: "Randy's done a wonderful job in the NFL. He's done some wonderful things," Irvin said. "Numbers do count and especially when they lead to victories. That's why I think everybody has to capitulate when it comes to talking about greatest receiver. Bar none, nobody's having a conversation. It is Jerry Rice, period."
    Last edited by dulcetpine; 01-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.

vCash
    Randy had all the physical gifts; Jerry was gifted physically (not as much) but he had the drive and attitude that Moss didn't. Randy is one of the greatest but Jerry is the best.

That being said, people need to quit pretending this conversation shouldn't happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dulcetpine View Post
    Like the 49er offenses that had Jerry weren't consistently the best in the league? Like Jerry wasn't routinely double teamed opening things for the likes of Craig, Watters, Hearst, Taylor, Jones... even JJ Stokes!!! Short memories.
    Who said Rice wasn't double teamed? But Rice didn't make the safety play as far off the ball as Moss. Moss' particular skill set is more conducive to opening things up for others underneath. That's not to say Rice didn't create plays for others or that he isn't the better overall receiver compared to Moss, but no WR has ever been as good as Moss at creating space for other receiving options. In that individual category, I have him over Rice. And if you look at Moss' comments in full context, you'll see that that's what he was getting at when he talks about impact and not just stats. I don't agree with his conclusion that he's better than Rice, but there is logic in what he's saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Randy is absolutely right...

Nothing special about Jerry Rice. When you compare both guys in a vacuum and you're asked which one would you take, only an idiot would choose Jerry Rice. Randy was the far more superior athlete. He was a freak of nature, he destroyed everyone and pulled off some of the most amazing highlights in history.

Someone needs to explain what Jerry had that Randy did not... Cause Randy was bigger, faster, stronger could jump higher and constantly demanded double and triple teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post

Nothing special about Jerry Rice. When you compare both guys in a vacuum and you're asked which one would you take, only an idiot would choose Jerry Rice. Randy was the far more superior athlete. He was a freak of nature, he destroyed everyone and pulled off some of the most amazing highlights in history.

Someone needs to explain what Jerry had that Randy did not... Cause Randy was bigger, faster, stronger could jump higher and constantly demanded double and triple teams.
    Cam Newton is bigger, faster, stronger, can jump higher, and can throw harder than Tom Brady. Who cares? He's not as good of a football player...just like Moss isn't as good of a football player as Rice was.

vCash

i dont he is stronger. jerry is also tougher, more competitive. rice also was a better leader.
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Cam Newton is bigger, faster, stronger, can jump higher, and can throw harder than Tom Brady. Who cares? He's not as good of a football player...just like Moss isn't as good of a football player as Rice was.
    exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Lol except he can't throw as good as Tom Brady, he can't make all the passes that Brady can make... Maybe in a few years he will be better who knows.

With receivers its different. What does Rice have over Randy? Randy has as good, if not better hands, he's faster, stronger, jumps higher. I guess he has better 'route running' but other than that he has nothing on Moss except accolades that he got while playing on better teams.

vCash

in a vacuum maybe. but if you take them out of the vacuum, and put them on the football field, rice is better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    this is patently false. the tampa cover 2 was designed to stop the wco which was popularized by flash 80 himself. Cover 2 was created to limit yac which is how jerry made wco as popular and unstoppable as it was. Moss may have had the safeties play back, jerry's impact created a whole new defensive philosophy.

and yes i know monte kiffin designed the formation.
    Last edited by sfbayareafan; 01-30-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    warriors, sharks, 49ers, giants, cal, CU

vCash

randy was bigger but physically weaker. jerry was the better blocker, he could break more tackles, he was a better route runner, he had better field vision to maximize yards after catch, he could go over the middle when moss couldnt, jerry also had better agility despite his discrepency in speed. Agility= route running, the more crisp your route runing, the better agility you have.
    Last edited by sfbayareafan; 01-30-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    warriors, sharks, 49ers, giants, cal, CU

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast