Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mets sign reliever Scott Atchison to minor league deal

In a continued effort to strengthen their bullpen, the Mets have signed right-handed reliever Scott Atchison to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, the team announced Tuesday.

Atchison, who turns 37 on Mar. 29, spent the last three seasons in the Red Sox organization. He compiled a 1.58 ERA in 42 appearances last season. He struck out 36 batters to nine walks. His record was 2-1.

Atchison missed two months of the season after tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow in July. He opted against Tommy John surgery and returned in September to pitch in five games. He appeared to throw without a hindrance following his trip to the disabled list.

Atchison threw his first bullpen season of the offseason on Monday, according to MLB.com. He hinted to the website that there was already a deal in place with a team he believes would give him an opportunity to pitch in the big leagues. Presumably, it was the Mets.

He was non-tendered by the Red Sox in December, but, believing he would start the season in the minors, decided not to accept the offer.

Atchison made his major-league debut with the Mariners in 2004 at the age of 28. He appeared in six games for Seattle the next season. He spent the entire 2006 season in the minors. Atchison pitched in 22 games for the Giants in 2007 and didn't appear in the majors again until 2010 with the Red Sox after two years in Japan with the Hanshin Tigers.

The Mets' search for bullpen help may not end with Atchison. In a interview on SiriusXM Sports on Sunday, general manager Sandy Alderson said he planned to watch Brian Wilson throw for a second time. Wilson, a free agent, appeared in just two games for the Giants last season before undergoing Tommy John surgery. Alderson said he watched the bearded closer throw 20 pitches during a session earlier in the month.
    http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/201...r_scott_a.html

vCash
    He was really goo with Boston last year for a while. I can't imagine he won't find his way to the ml roster at some point

vCash
    Difficult to criticize/praise the move without knowing how healthy he is. Kind of have to assume he isn't 100% since he had to settle for signing a minor league contract in late January. But definitely a low-risk move. Can't hurt.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    He's hurting. I don't see how he could go without surgery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    He's hurting. I don't see how he could go without surgery.
    He appeared in 5 games and allowed 0 runs after coming back from that injury in September.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-29-2013 at 04:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    He appeared in 5 games and allowed 0 runs after coming back from that injury in September.
    I know that's a small sample but if he can put good numbers like that i would be down to have him in the pen.

vCash
    He pitched well last year having a 1.58 ERA in 51 innings.

Low risk move and can't hurt with the way this bullpen was last year.

vCash
    Don't forget he pitched in Fenway and the AL East. He could be a valuable addition.

I like how our pen is shaping up. Don't sleep on Greg Burke either, these type of moves are how pens are assembled.

Burke was killing it in winter ball too. 2.23 ERA and a 5.00 K/BB in 32.1 IP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnIckFaN.2883 View Post
    I know that's a small sample but if he can put good numbers like that i would be down to have him in the pen.
    You would be down with him never giving up a run? You are a risk taker!

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    SA through his scavenging has found another low risk/high reward guy. Eventually, the more guys you sign one or two will stick.

It doesn't mean any of these signees will be good, but I don't smell any Blaine Boyer's or DJ Carrassco's.....yet. Scott Atchison has pitched much more effectively than either of those two bums just mentioned.

We all know why this happening...... So it's a matter of hopefully finding a guy(s) that can be an asset.

Currently, while we are in our latest "Dark Age" period I like this signing. Just keep in mind it's a calculated crap shoot. I expect nothing, but hell, maybe Atchison can be productive for a half season, perhaps longer.....

Who really knows until we see him pitch live.

Desperate move by a desperate general manager trying in upgrading our RP.

I'm trying to be patient, but I've been through this with the team since 1963 and I'm getting fed up....
    We Need More Players Like Keith!!!!!

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    ... these type of moves are how pens are assembled.
    How the Pirates Assembled Their Pen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFSma-EpQs
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Good low risk move. Hopefully him and Feliciano can stay healthy this year and help us.

vCash
    I think we're looking at Carl Pavano next.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    I think we're looking at Carl Pavano next.
    Beyond not being very good for a few years, he just ruptured his spleen shoveling snow.

Sounds like he's right up the Wilpons alley.

vCash
    My point exactly.

How much could he cost????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast