Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What to do about Nelly.

So I'm sure you've all read or at least heard about the breaking story that has Nelson Cruz connected to a doctor in South Florida who peddles steroids. Depending on the evidence that MLB collects and the kind of records this doctors clinic kept, Nelly could be suspended. What do you think the Rangers do if this happens? Move Ian to RF, Olt to RF, Murph to RF, Moreland to RF?
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

vCash
    Cursed had a good point on this a few days (maybe a week) ago.

The fact is, while MLB may have cracked down on PED's, there will always be players trying to get around the rules and scientists coming out with new drugs that can go undetected.

I think we'll have to sign another outfielder if Nellie was to be suspended. Moreland, while he's played some out there, really isn't a realistic option. My guess would be that Martin would get a chance to play a corner spot with Gentry in center and Murph in left, then we'd go out and sign a utility-type OF to platoon until we could make a deal for another OF on another team.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    I think it all comes down to the timing of the suspension (which I think will happen). If MLB can get this case resolved within the next 6-8 weeks, picking up a FA will make sense. However, overpaying Bourne to a long term contract will not make sense. In other words, a 50 day suspension is not worth a 6 year $75M investment.

In all likelihood, this will take MLB several months to investigate properly. If Nellie is suspended in may or June then the Rangers can play Olt or Moreland for a brief amount of time in the OF. Then the Rangers can make a trade at the break.

This is one of the reasons this offseason has been so frustrating. There were several solid OF options available and the Rangers failed to get any of them. We were/are just one injury (or suspension) away from having to juggle a lot of less than desirable options. This same situation will continue into next offseason, baring a major trade.

I think Nellie is one of many players who stand a good chance of being called on the carpet in the near future.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    doesn't matter if he did it or not. he's never failed one of MLB's drug tests so how can they justify a suspension? everyone that's actually been suspended for PED's has at least one failed test.

vCash
    The 50 game suspension is only for those who fail the league mandated drug tests. Nellie hasn't failed (yet), and anything in connection to the clinic in Miami would be pending a serious investigation and unlikely to affect him this season in terms of playing time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    I think it all comes down to the timing of the suspension (which I think will happen). If MLB can get this case resolved within the next 6-8 weeks, picking up a FA will make sense. However, overpaying Bourne to a long term contract will not make sense. In other words, a 50 day suspension is not worth a 6 year $75M investment.
    I agree with everything you just said, especially the part in bold.

Something else to think about is; how would losing Nellie affect the make-up of our lineup, being that he's one of the few power bats we have right now...certainly Bourn would not fill that need. Personally, I worry a bit about our offense becoming too one-dimensional, which is why I hope we are able to make a move for a young, controllable guy with a little pop in his bat. Fingers are still crossed that Stanton comes available at some point.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    I believe there is a clause in the MLB drug agreement that stipulates players can be suspended if MLB has finds just cause on a player using PEDs. Most of the athletes who are linked to this PED shop have been busted in the past. Not sure if that justifies 'just cause' but it is something worth monitoring.

I was in Jacksonville, FL this morning and saw one of these 'aging clinics'. At least 20 cars were parked outside. While all of the cars were unlikely to be athletes vehicles, these clinics are pretty wide spread. If just one can be linked to this many MLB players, it is not hard to envision PEDs being very wide spread. Just wish they could find the place that Trout is likely getting his stuff from.

So many tactics for PEDs are out there. Ray Lewis is being linked to taking deer velvet spray, players are rumored to be taking stem cell treatments, etc... I would love to know everything that is really going on. Fantasy baseball is going to be a witch to figure out this year...

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    I believe there is a clause in the MLB drug agreement that stipulates players can be suspended if MLB has finds just cause on a player using PEDs. Most of the athletes who are linked to this PED shop have been busted in the past. Not sure if that justifies 'just cause' but it is something worth monitoring.

I was in Jacksonville, FL this morning and saw one of these 'aging clinics'. At least 20 cars were parked outside. While all of the cars were unlikely to be athletes vehicles, these clinics are pretty wide spread. If just one can be linked to this many MLB players, it is not hard to envision PEDs being very wide spread. Just wish they could find the place that Trout is likely getting his stuff from.

So many tactics for PEDs are out there. Ray Lewis is being linked to taking deer velvet spray, players are rumored to be taking stem cell treatments, etc... I would love to know everything that is really going on. Fantasy baseball is going to be a witch to figure out this year...
    A-Rod, Kobe and a couple of other athletes have been to Germany for some kind of blood replacement therapy or something like that. It's not illegal though and I don't think stem cell treatments would be either. I could be wrong though.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    A-Rod, Kobe and a couple of other athletes have been to Germany for some kind of blood replacement therapy or something like that. It's not illegal though and I don't think stem cell treatments would be either. I could be wrong though.
    You are correct in that stem cell therapy is not illegal. From what I can gather stem cell replacement is a lot more effective than HGH. Supposedly many international soccer players are also using stem cell therapy. I think the point of stem cells is that athlete's/science is so far ahead of testing we will never know what is true in sports anymore. Fake girlfriends, fake records, fake champions.....

vCash
    On one hand PEDs might have saved baseball during the great home run chase. But the long term effect on fans is going to be devastating. Think about the ripple down effect.

- players start breaking sacred records on a yearly basis
    - attendance and tv ratings skyrocket
    - players start signing huge long term contracts, led by the biggest fraud in any sports -ARod
    - teams start being sold for staggering amounts
    - more players sign huge long term contracts that rival powerball lotteries
    - tv networks start paying absurd contracts for the television rights - for the $8 billion paid for the Dodgersnrights think how many TEAMS time Warner could have bought
    - ticket prices start going up drastically to pay for the huge contracts
    - tv networks start charging monthly fees in order to watch a standard game to help offset the crazy tv rights they paid
    - HOF elects no one
    - etc...

If I had a crystal ball, the next thing I think we will see if a drop off in performance from many 'star' players. The drop offs will be attributed to aging, injuries, sophomore jinxs, caffeine withdrawals, etc... Then attendance will take a temporary drop, then the networks will start charging more the luxury of being able to watch baseball on tv. So at the end of the day we witnessed a lot of fake players making a truck load of money. A ton of owners cashing in big time, and we will be stuck having to pay $20/month to watch the Rangers on tv.

vCash
    Nothing. You have Olt and Moreland, as well as Martin and Gentry. Not to mention there is no guarantee he misses time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corked Bat View Post
    doesn't matter if he did it or not. he's never failed one of MLB's drug tests so how can they justify a suspension? everyone that's actually been suspended for PED's has at least one failed test.
    Wrong...MLB can suspend you if they have evidence that you took the roids

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    The 50 game suspension is only for those who fail the league mandated drug tests. Nellie hasn't failed (yet), and anything in connection to the clinic in Miami would be pending a serious investigation and unlikely to affect him this season in terms of playing time.
    You sir, are wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevilla91 View Post
    You sir, are wrong
    Nah, I'm right. You can only get a drug suspension in two cases:

1. You test positive.
    2. You're convicted of using/distributing/selling bla bla bla.

Thats it. In Nelly's case, any kind of investigation would most likely take too long to impact him this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    Nah, I'm right. You can only get a drug suspension in two cases:

1. You test positive.
    2. You're convicted of using/distributing/selling bla bla bla.

Thats it. In Nelly's case, any kind of investigation would most likely take too long to impact him this season.

nah you were wrong, all you said was he can only be suspended by failing a drug test...thats what you said. That is wrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast