Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mavs biggest problem...DRAFT

Anyone agree if the Mavs had stuck to caring about the draft and putting more into it we would have some players?

vCash
    correct me if im wrong..havent we been in the playoffs the past 12 years, and have a title? yeah..we dont draft the best..but championship teams arent won by rookies....Too many teams seem to be in the lottery every year and do not get any better. Yes there are always exceptions to the rule and some good players are found in the mide 20's...sometimes. NBA is not like the nfl, if you dont have a top 15 pick, normally you wont have much. I know the spurs find some gold but hey, they have the coach. We seem to do fine with free agents and trades

vCash
    I don't think that's been our biggest problem. We haven't been too successful in the draft but Dallas has always drafted in the late 1st round. Not too many teams besides the spurs have been able to find great players in the draft.

We have drafted some good guys tho.. We got Josh Howard back in the day, Traded for the draft rights to Devin Harris who was pretty good in dallas and more recently got Jae Crowder with a 2nd Round pick.

We also did get a guy named Dirk through the draft. He's had a pretty good career.

Our biggest problem is that we overpayed people like dampier and haywood but let people like Steve Nash and Tyson Chandler walk in free agency.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasTrilla23 View Post
    I don't think that's been our biggest problem. We haven't been too successful in the draft but Dallas has always drafted in the late 1st round. Not too many teams besides the spurs have been able to find great players in the draft.

We have drafted some good guys tho.. We got Josh Howard back in the day, Traded for the draft rights to Devin Harris who was pretty good in dallas and more recently got Jae Crowder with a 2nd Round pick.

We also did get a guy named Dirk through the draft. He's had a pretty good career.

Our biggest problem is that we overpayed people like dampier and haywood but let people like Steve Nash and Tyson Chandler walk in free agency.
    Very well said. I agree. It's our continual whiffs in free agency that this franchise is worst at.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Well ,I would say that Mavs biggest strength has always been in the trade market
    Fact is that since 2004 (since we drafted Harris and Howard the year b4 ) We didn't have a pick higher than 22 until last year
    the picks in 2005/2007/2010 were traded (but we bought a pick in 2010)
    And the fact that the traded picks have landed us some good players like Kidd make it tough to blame Cuban,at the end we managed to win a title with very strong team

That said ,yes drafting has never been gr8 for us ,we have passed on the likes of Paul Millsap ,Glen Davis,Marc Gasol,Anthony Morrow,Wesley Matthews,Jordan Crawford,Greivis Vásquez etc
    The only good pick we had since 2004 are Roddy B and injuries and RC has ruined his career ,and Barea as undrafted FA ,obviously we have to wait b4 talking about last draft
    There is also Calathes ,he has been one of the best true PGs in Europe in the last 3 years ,I think we have made a mistake not signing him last year,but again we have to wait and see him in the NBA
    This need to change ,Dirk will be 35 by the end of the season ,this team is on his way to the lottery ,we are probably gonna be the Suns 3 of the last 4 years when Nash carried them to be late lotto team ,with Only Dirk ,Marion and the rookies locked for contract next year,I say we need to really take care of our picks ,no trade down again please

NATALIA SIWIEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasTrilla23 View Post

jap!

Andrew Graham:
    "Dallas not a playoff team?? Dirk, Dwight and 13 Adam Morrisons would make the playoffs. "

What do the Mavs say???

vCash
    Yea, I'm real suspect with our scouts and draft picks, but it balances out by always picking up established players for the most part.

vCash
    Look that the Spurs and tell me we couldn't have done the same. What about the Lakers? Andrew Bynum was drafted.

vCash
    its hard to see other teams god szeal every year with 2nd round picks between 35 and 45 =(((

Andrew Graham:
    "Dallas not a playoff team?? Dirk, Dwight and 13 Adam Morrisons would make the playoffs. "

What do the Mavs say???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ddhulett View Post
    Look that the Spurs and tell me we couldn't have done the same. What about the Lakers? Andrew Bynum was drafted.
    How many teams are doing as well as the Spurs?
    What about the Wolves who kept wasting draft pick after draft pick,only in 2008&2009 they got it right,and then they are injured?!! same happened with Portland btw too
    Bynum was 10th pick,last time we had a pick this high was in 2004 and we ended up with solid player (Devin Harris) ,the one b4 was in 1998 and we got Dirk
    look ,our draft is bad specially since Don Nelson left ,but comparisons shouldn't be made with team like Spurs ,they are the exception

NATALIA SIWIEC

vCash
    yeah and spurs are really good in transform boneheads in very good roleplayer

Andrew Graham:

What do the Mavs say???

vCash
    Yup,having Popovich help
    btw TP was drafted in 2001 ,he is the last All-Star they have drafted ,they got many nice role players in the draft afterwords , definitely better than the Mavs .but even gr8 organization as good as them failed to find All-Star player in the last 11 drafts

NATALIA SIWIEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ddhulett View Post
    The Spurs are probably the best at drafting and developing players so you can't hold the mavs to the same standards. I look at the spurs and I don't know of many teams that could of done the same. OKC is probably the closest.

The lakers only got bynum that year because they missed the playoffs and andrew bynum has only had one good season.

vCash
    Why shouldn't we hold the Mavs to the Spurs standard? I think this year so far Crowder and James look like some players that can help us win.

We wasted picks with DOJO and Roddy maybe even Cunningham, we have been chasing Dwayne Wade, Derrick Rose type PG for too long! Why?

I wish we would make some trades for draft picks and stock up to make a run at some higher picks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevilla91 View Post
    correct me if im wrong..havent we been in the playoffs the past 12 years, and have a title? yeah..we dont draft the best..but championship teams arent won by rookies....Too many teams seem to be in the lottery every year and do not get any better. Yes there are always exceptions to the rule and some good players are found in the mide 20's...sometimes. NBA is not like the nfl, if you dont have a top 15 pick, normally you wont have much. I know the spurs find some gold but hey, they have the coach. We seem to do fine with free agents and trades
    You have to draft well, no matter where you pick. It's important to solidify your bench, and hopefully find a starter or 2 if possible over a few drafts.

Dallas has been piss poor at drafting for a LONG time now, and something I have harped on for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast