Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How much does Rodgers get in his next deal?

With Flacco reportedly wanting $20 mill a season and Ryan targeting Brees Money, how much will Rodgers get? Rodgers currently is signed through the 2014 season.

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Matt Ryan will "clearly" target Drew Brees money in 2013 extension talks.
    Ryan is owed $10 million entering a contract year, and the Falcons will want to lock him up before the 2013 season. Brees received $20 million per year from the Saints last July. Ryan's agent will be watching the Joe Flacco-Ravens talks closely. Flacco wants Brees money as well, and Ryan has out-performed him
    Article

The Green Bay Packers have been planning to sign quarterback Aaron Rodgers to a contract extension for at least a year. Well, the longer they wait, the more expensive it’s going to get, especially now that Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco has decided he wants Drew Brees money.

First, let’s recap before we explain just how absurd that is.

Rodgers has two seasons left on his current contract, which pays him an average of $10 million per season. When compared to the league’s best — Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady — Rodgers is what you’d call underpaid. He makes an average of $5 million less than Brady, $9 million less than Manning and $10 million less than Brees per season.

Last offseason, the Saints signed Brees to the biggest contract in NFL history. It averages $20 million per season and included $40 million guaranteed. So, the bar for Rodgers’ new deal was set.

Now, things are about to get a little bit out of whack. Why?

Flacco will be a free agent this offseason and he’s aiming for Brees money.

“He’s now made a case for $20 million a year,” ESPN’s John Clayton said. “And I think he’s gonna try to hold to that. Last season what I was hearing was he was asking for about $17 million. … But he was saying ‘okay fine, let me play this out.’ Now he’s in a position to make big money. And we’ll see if he can get over Drew Brees’ contract. I think he can.”

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen agreed that the “$20 million figure is not unreachable” for Flacco.

This wouldn’t really be notable if Brady were asking for that kind of money, but Joe Flacco is no Tom Brady (or Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck, Colin Kaepernick…)

You get the picture. Yeah, Joey Flacco has got his team in the Super Bowl, but I don’t give a **** what anyone says. Joey Flacco is not an elite quarterback. Joey is not even a very good quarterback.

He’s a decent quarterback on a pretty good team.

Here’s how many All Pro selections Joe Flacco has: zero. Here’s how many Pro Bowls he’s made: zero. Here’s how many Super Bowls he’s won: zero. Here’s how many seasons he’s thrown for 4,000 yards: zero. Here’s how many seasons he’s thrown for more than 25 TDs: zero. Here’s how many seasons his QB rating has been 100 or more: zero. Here’s how many seasons he’s thrown less than 10 interceptions: zero.

Get the picture?

Joe Flacco is perfectly average. The best thing you can say about him is he has a big arm. That’s right. Not “he’s a winner.” Not “that’s the guy I’d pick first to lead my team.” Not “he’s the smartest quarterback I’ve seen.”

Big arm.

Is this guy worth $20 million a year?

No way in hell, but he’ll probably get something like that. Flacco holds all the leverage now that he’s in the Super Bowl and Baltimore is tethered to him. They drafted him to be their franchise quarterback. They’ve stuck with him since day one. They can’t very well let him walk just because he’s not a superstar.

So if this bum gets $20 million a year, what does Rodgers deserve? You can bet his agent isn’t starting negotiations at anything less than $25 million per season.

In other words, it would behoove the Packers to move quickly. If they get Rodgers for anything less than $20 million a year, they’ve done well.

vCash
    He definitely deserves more than Flacco or Ryan; but I see him caring more about the team to allocate the money elsewhere, rather than trying to make top dollar. I say around 18-22 mil a year.

vCash
    Average of 20+ mil over the length of the contract, however many years it ends up being, with at least 50% guaranteed.

vCash
    Boy I don't know...will the Packers be willing to pony that up? They have proven time and time again that they can pick their QB's. But I could also see him taking around $20 million even though he is much better than Flacco and a little better than Matty Ice.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Hel give the packers s hometown discount most likely

But if he hit f.a, which he won't, but if he did he'd get offers of 25 mil plus a year

vCash
    flacoc wont get 20 mil. the franchise tag is 14 mil, so if he is admamant about 20 mil ravens will just slap that on him. rogers will get closer to 20mil, not flacco
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I am just spitballin' here, but I expect these top QBs know exactly what they can get. The fact that the top guys are getting around $20 mil tells a top guy he should get that. They also know they can get a bit more. There is a price to pay for that greed though, they may/will/could tie the franchises hands and limit their ability to field a competitive team.

vCash
    While I sat down at the negotiations I'd have a big projector playing Matt Flynn versus the Lions on behind me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Hear ye, hear ye! Bring forth the possibly real and possibly imaginary poll.

Oops, I wasn't bull****ting.

vCash
    He'll give them a home town discount... if he were to hit open market in 2 years he'd get an absurd amount of money.

Our greatest glory is not in never failing. But rather in rising back up every time we do.

Find ya boi on twitter @MajorJensen33

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 85BearsDefense View Post
    He'll give them a home town discount...
    What does that mean in dollars? How much is a home town discount worth?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Boy I don't know...will the Packers be willing to pony that up? They have proven time and time again that they can pick their QB's. But I could also see him taking around $20 million even though he is much better than Flacco and a little better than Matty Ice.
    They will pay him whatever it takes, but I think he will take 22 mil so he has a better chance at winning. Also, he is much better than Matt Ryan

"We the best in the league, Tony!"

vCash
    8 years, $160 million, $100 million guaranteed is what he deserves, but he'll probably get $120-$140 million.

vCash
    I wonder what he would get if he hit free agency...The Eagles/Cowboys alone would throw a ****ing ton at him....As a packer fan I would honestly cry. As much of a dick as Rodgers is I do not think he would leave the packers because he is pretty loyal because of the draft alone.

Every team outside of Wilson/Luck should be in on a Rodgers free agency chase....And yes I did not add RG3 because of healthy issues. Outside of Luck/Wilson everyone else becomes expendable for a Rodgers

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I wonder what he would get if he hit free agency...The Eagles/Cowboys alone would throw a ****ing ton at him....As a packer fan I would honestly cry. As much of a dick as Rodgers is I do not think he would leave the packers because he is pretty loyal because of the draft alone.

Every team outside of Wilson/Luck should be in on a Rodgers free agency chase....And yes I did not add RG3 because of healthy issues. Outside of Luck/Wilson everyone else becomes expendable for a Rodgers
    If Rodgers ever hit FA, I think he'd be football's first $200 million man.

vCash
    Lol MTM

There's no reason to talk about Rodgers in FA. It will never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Hear ye, hear ye! Bring forth the possibly real and possibly imaginary poll.

Oops, I wasn't bull****ting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast