Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
    Where did I say Deng will want market value? I didn't. I wrote I see Deng signing for a discount to stay with the Bulls.
    I would love that! Deng and Jimmy for longterm

vCash
    Where did I say Deng will want market value? I didn't. I wrote I see Deng signing for a discount to stay with the Bulls.
    Right, but if that's not the case, the point the Bulls are set at SF disappears with Deng's contract.

What makes you think Deng would take a discount if he's improved over since he signed his first extension? He's certainly getting more accolades around the league. I actually think the opposite is true, the Bulls may end up overpaying Deng to keep the front court together - especially if they manage to win a title.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, having Deng and Butler going forward is great for the position - I'm just not sure how people translate into a lock at the position even TWO years down the road (which is the definition of long-term in the NBA).
    Last edited by TopsyTurvy; 01-29-2013 at 03:19 PM.

vCash
    Jimmy to me looks too small/slim for a small forward. He needs to bulk up in the coming years. He has played the 3 well, but to me he is more suited at 2 guard long term. Work on his ball handling and shooting and we may have our future 2 guard already!

vCash
    I doubt we can get Paul George in 2014, but to pair him up with Jimmy on the wings would be awesome though.

Rose/Butler/George/Mirotic/Noah

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TopsyTurvy View Post
    Right, but if that's not the case, the point the Bulls are set at SF disappears with Deng's contract.

What makes you think Deng would take a discount if he's improved over since he signed his first extension? He's certainly getting more accolades around the league. I actually think the opposite is true, the Bulls may end up overpaying Deng to keep the front court together - especially if they manage to win a title.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, having Deng and Butler going forward is great for the position - I'm just not sure how people translate into a lock at the position even TWO years down the road (which is the definition of long-term in the NBA).
    My point is under my absolute believe Deng will sign for less money to stay in Chicago. If he doesn't, that obviously changes things. But since I believe he will re-sign I feel the Bulls are set at the SF position for a long time.

vCash
    Am I the only one here still hoping for Melo to be a Bull?

The four year contract the Knicks can offer Melo is just $2.8M more than what the Bulls can offer him. Would Melo choose to play in NY and get plus $2.8M salary than to play for a title?

Jimmy at two with Melo at three solves the Bulls offense - defense problem.

2014 best case scenario:

D.Rose, Jimmy, Melo(max contract), C.Landry(MLE) and Jo.

vCash
    Absolutely do not want to see him on the Bulls in any capacity. Stay away Melo.

vCash
    The problem with Deng comes 2014 is somebody is gonna overpay him. Kings, Cavs, Wiz, Suns and even Mavs will surely over pay him.

Lamar Odom did give Lakers a discount when he opt to stay with them being a championship team. But Odom was playing sixth man playing 29 mpg in the playoffs. Deng is playing 40+ mpg.

$40M-$45M four year contract would be nice for Deng. But I expect some team would give him around $48M to $54M four year contract.

EDIT**:

If Bulls give up Taj, they cap space to offer $102M four year contract. Supposedly for Melo or Bron, but could also be splitted to several players. Let's say Luol Deng and Danny Granger having $51M four year contract each.

Noah, Deng, Granger, D.Rose, Butler, Teague and a 2013 rookie(likely Withey). They will have MLE spend for a PF and BAE for a sixth man. They could also bring Mirotic in 2014 to be the back-up PF. That's already 10 man roster
    Last edited by zedrix; 01-31-2013 at 09:17 AM.

vCash
    Absolutely do not want to see him on the Bulls in any capacity. Stay away Melo.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by zedrix View Post
    The problem with Deng comes 2014 is somebody is gonna overpay him. Kings, Cavs, Wiz, Suns and even Mavs will surely over pay him.
    that's not for certain, and it certainly wouldn't be a problem if Deng declines those offers. A 4 year $40,000,000 deal or around that is perfectly acceptable for Deng. Plus, he's the definition of a Bull and has great relationships with Thibs, Rose/Noah/Jimmy, and the Front Office. He's been here his entire career and will go down as a top-10 Bull of all time if he stays. Why give that up to go play in Seattle, Cleveland, Washington, Phoenix, or Dallas? With Deng, it's almost absolutely 100% sure he's not about money first --- it's about championships and none of those teams will be as competitive for as long as the Bulls will be.

I don't understand the point of Lamar Odom being a 6th man though. Deng to the Bulls is nothing like Odom to the Lakers was.

vCash
    My point was Odom was a sixth man with less expectation. That's why he got like $33M four year contract. While Deng is a starter playing 40+ mpg, and would seemingly demand for more money.

I compare Deng to Odom because Deng would be on same age(29), as Odom was, when he became a free agent. Both are complementary players for the team's franchise player. Deng's situation is likely the same with Odom in his last free agency. The only difference is Odom is coming off the bench and playing less minutes, while Deng is a starter playing huge minutes.

$40M is a very good deal if the Bulls can pull it off. That means they will have $60M for another free agent, if they get rid of Taj Gibson(most likely will).

vCash
    I don't think the Bulls get rid of Gibson any time soon. They just signed him to a 4 year deal for a reason, and with Mirotic being young they need that veteran stability at the 4 spot.

And I still insist that Deng and Odom are not comparable at all. For all the previous reasons I stated.

vCash
    I would get rid of Taj in 2014 to make room for another free agent. Taj could get the Bulls a mid to high first round pick. On top of that, Mirotic would be coming in around 2014 to 2015.

vCash
    Well that's exactly the point. Mirotic can't be depended upon that early. And Taj is a perfect compliment to Mirotic, and can play both big positions. I love it though, how much crap Taj is all of a sudden getting. It's really ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Well that's exactly the point. Mirotic can't be depended upon that early. And Taj is a perfect compliment to Mirotic, and can play both big positions. I love it though, how much crap Taj is all of a sudden getting. It's really ridiculous.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Maybe not realistic, but I'd love to try and move up to the middle of the draft and get Oladipo. I think he would be a perfect fit on this team. He would be a monster defensively with Thibs and would be great as a high flyer next to Rose. Get him and then you can move Deng use the money elsewhere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast