Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Tom Tango Consulting Exclusively for the Cubs

Tom Tango is the one who wrote The Book and is generally thought of as one of the best statisticians in the baseball world. His real name is not Tom Tango, however as he's kept his identity private.

http://tangotiger.com/index.php/site...bs-and-with-me

vCash
    Well I mean this is a wet dream.

vCash
    Yeah, this is pretty awesome. I find jtsunami's avatar appropriate given the notoriety of Tango's work but private identity.

vCash
    Awesome!
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    He's already a PSD Cubs forum regular, so no biggie.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...06#post8865306

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    I guess I'm kinda excited about never being able to find out what happens with this.

Years ago, back in college, my senior thesis revolved around how the value of assets evolved as you became more specific about the market proxy used to measure the risk intrinsically associated with said asset class.

I think the limitations around the CAPM pricing model are very similar to the limitations around win-share based player valuation systems. The win-share based valuation of a player becomes less and less valid as your portfolio of assets (i.e. team) becomes less and less well diversified. And lets' face it. There are almost no well diversified baseball team. Each is engineered to take on certain types of risk. All of which is a fancy way of saying a win is a win is a win until you start to think about the risk associated with amassing a win.

A few years ago I was toying with the idea of converting my thesis into a system that would measure not only the performance, but the volatility of player performance along with the price paid for such performance and volatility. By doing so, you should be able to properly value not only performance but volatility associated with performance (based on other players of a given characteristic). In doing so, you should be able to not only determine the optimal team, down to the player, given any payroll price point and amount of player specific risk you are willing to take on.

I keep hoping I one day hear that the Cubs have built just this.
    Next year, we are totally going to win a playoff game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gooner View Post
    I guess I'm kinda excited about never being able to find out what happens with this.

Years ago, back in college, my senior thesis revolved around how the value of assets evolved as you became more specific about the market proxy used to measure the risk intrinsically associated with said asset class.

I think the limitations around the CAPM pricing model are very similar to the limitations around win-share based player valuation systems. The win-share based valuation of a player becomes less and less valid as your portfolio of assets (i.e. team) becomes less and less well diversified. And lets' face it. There are almost no well diversified baseball team. Each is engineered to take on certain types of risk. All of which is a fancy way of saying a win is a win is a win until you start to think about the risk associated with amassing a win.

A few years ago I was toying with the idea of converting my thesis into a system that would measure not only the performance, but the volatility of player performance along with the price paid for such performance and volatility. By doing so, you should be able to properly value not only performance but volatility associated with performance (based on other players of a given characteristic). In doing so, you should be able to not only determine the optimal team, down to the player, given any payroll price point and amount of player specific risk you are willing to take on.

I keep hoping I one day hear that the Cubs have built just this.
    Out of curiosity, and I ask because I'm preparing for graduate school myself, what type of career do you have?

vCash
    Also, is this real life?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTH10 View Post
    Also, is this real life?
    Is this just fantasy?

vCash
    He's the Director of Research & Development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JP:CubsFan910 View Post
    Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.
    Bicycle! Bicycle!

vCash
    Too many layers of awesomeness with this Bo Rhap sidetrack. Who is this dude, why is he important and why does he has a fake name?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_the_hulk View Post
    Who is this dude, why is he important and why does he has a fake name?
    He's just a poor boy from a poor family.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheAutomator View Post
    He's the Director of Research & Development.
    Actually, Tango is just a consultant. They're looking for a Director of R & D.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_the_hulk View Post
    Too many layers of awesomeness with this Bo Rhap sidetrack. Who is this dude, why is he important and why does he has a fake name?
    He's a highly thought of SABRmetrics guy who's always kept his identity private. He created .wOBA and FIP and among other things.
    Last edited by terencem; 01-30-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast