Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Defensive concerns

Sorry if this was discussed in another thread. I was just wondering with everything going on with Jay Ratliff, if we release or trade him, does that free up some cap space or increase the chances we could resign Spencer? Spencer has already said he wanted to return to the Boys and would love to play the down 4-3 defensive end opposite Ware.

vCash
    It helps, but I don't think it increase the chances that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Romo2Bryant View Post
    It helps, but I don't think it increase the chances that much.
    Thanks for clearing that up. What if we release Ratliff and Free? I think Spencer would be a beast at defensive end!

vCash
    Well we are about $18 million over the cap. I believe that Cowboys and Spencer are able to reach an long-term contract, but the problem is... if that's the right investment for the long-term? We can't afford to re-sign everyone and these long-term contracts just starts to add up, which is the reason why we are dealing with huge cap problems every year. You could also factor in that in few years D. Bryant, S. Lee, T. Smith are going to be looking for new contracts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch0ZSeN1 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. What if we release Ratliff and Free? I think Spencer would be a beast at defensive end!
    But IMO I believe that they will reach an agreement. Probably 4-5 years.

vCash
    There's plenty of ways to reduce the payroll if adding spencer is a necessity.

"
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

vCash
    I wouldn't do it. I think it's contract year for Lee and Murray if not mistaken.

vCash
    Im interested in trying to resign Spencer the only thing that bothers me is that this is another Cowboys player that "saves" his best season during contract time. I believe Spencer is an assest to our defense but if we resign him I would like the production he gave this season.

vCash
    the thing with spencer is that if he is a cowboy next year, he is going to be expensive..and, his production will likely change as he would likely be the DE opposite of Ware on most downs.

vCash
    Spencer really scares me. I want him back but only if he gives us the hometown discount. I don't think we should pay top dollar for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick50 View Post
    Im interested in trying to resign Spencer the only thing that bothers me is that this is another Cowboys player that "saves" his best season during contract time. I believe Spencer is an assest to our defense but if we resign him I would like the production he gave this season.
    I got what you're saying, but he actually had two contract years in a row.

vCash
    I think we can let spencer walk because in the Tampa 2 they normally use bigger DE's. Rice for Tampa was like 285 around there. If we go to small with Lb's dropping back most of the time we will get torched up the middle by the run game, just like the Colts were for years. I also don't want to use a 1st round pick on DL because they never seem to workout and we have other glaring needs like OL. Our 1st pick should be a OG and if Barrett Jones drops because of his injury and surgery you use the 2nd on him and then go DL in 3rd
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    I think we can let spencer walk because in the Tampa 2 they normally use bigger DE's. Rice for Tampa was like 285 around there. If we go to small with Lb's dropping back most of the time we will get torched up the middle by the run game, just like the Colts were for years. I also don't want to use a 1st round pick on DL because they never seem to workout and we have other glaring needs like OL. Our 1st pick should be a OG and if Barrett Jones drops because of his injury and surgery you use the 2nd on him and then go DL in 3rd
    I heard they are really excited about crawford. i heard he really turned some heads in training camp, and they expect him to play a pretty big role this year.

if spencer walks, crawford will probally be the starter.

vCash
    I wouldnt be mad if we kept Spencer but i think we should use the money and sign Henry Melton and bring him back to Rod Marinelli... this we way we dont have to worry about Ratliff.. We could also address the oline early in the draft.. Melton was excellent in the Tampa 2 for the bears... I heard someone in here say we should sign him before but i think this would be a great move

vCash
    I have said that I can't imagine Melton not being franchised by the bears, but if he is out there, then you almost have to get him at the expense of not getting someone for the OL...I would prefer both (of course) but there is that pesky thing called a cap....

btw, Ware, Ratliff, Melton, Crawford is a SCARY DL...(if healthy)...not to mention Hatcher who could bounce around from DT to DE...
    Last edited by Fred; 01-31-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast