Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Surprise: O-line ranks third in NFL

Even the most devout Jets fan might find this hard to believe, but the Jets fielded one of the premier offensive lines in 2012, according to the stats-based website ProFootballFocus.com.

According to PFF, the Jets' line finished third out of 32 teams in its statistical analysis, behind only the 49ers and Patriots. The Jets ranked seventh in pass blocking, third in run blocking and third in penalties, per PFF.

Somewhere, Dave DeGuglielmo is smiling. Well, maybe not smiling, but muttering under his breath, "I told you so." The offensive-line coach, who made his utter disdain for the media quite clear in his three (count 'em, three) group interviews over the course of the season, was sensitive to the criticism heaped upon his unit. Ironically, he railed against stats-based websites for having no clue as to how to grade linemen.

Well, now one of those websites is patting him on the back, basically exonerating the line for the offense's problems. DeGuglielmo's reaction? Don't know; we'll have to wait for the next hurricane. (Inside joke.) The kicker here is that his job is hanging by a thread, with a chance he might not be retained.

Anyhoo, here's PFF's analysis of the Jets' line:

Stud: There were plenty of contenders here, but given some of the guys he kept in check, credit to D'Brickashaw Ferguson (+23.5) for a fine year.

Dud: The run blocking of Matt Slauson (+2.5) left a lot to be desired.

Summary: Everybody wants to poke fun at the Jets, and for some reason the offensive line got caught in the crossfire. It wasn't quite its dominant self in the early weeks of the season, but they finishing playing as well as any team. Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore played angry, while Austin Howard found his feet as an NFL tackle. Still, a line can only do so much to put skill players in position to do good things, and in that regard the Jets are sorely lacking.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/

This unit took a lot of heat during the course of the season. I never understood why. Especially when it came to Moore. Maybe Jets fans got spoiled from previous seasons. Perhaps they were victims of the lack of talent around them. Got made out to look worse than they actually were.

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    I always knew that our offensive line was at least above average. I didn't think it was this good, but this is surprising to know. Moore got so much unwarranted hate on this site for no reason. He was arguably our best offensive line men this year. He should be resigned as should Slauson. And this performance was without Mangold at his best. I hope this puts the "lets pick a Guard" campaign to rest. We shouldn't address OL until at least the 3rd if anything and it needs to be a RT.

What this shows is that a new QB and HB must be in place. Greene is garbage. He is at best a 1B type back. He has no acceleration or speed what so ever and despite great run blocking by Moore and Howard this year, he wasn't able to do anything. I am hoping we draft one of Bernard or Lacey because I think they could have IMMEDIATE success behind this line, with Powell hopefully improving. I'm not even going to get into detail about Sanchez, but if you think that he should start next year than I don't have anything to say to you.

Now I am probably in a minority and am probably being a blind homer, but I really think that if we hit with a few of our picks this year, resign everyone on the OL, grab someone like Moore, and grab a MLB/FS, we could be a playoff team next year. The defense is mostly set in stone with just needs for a FS, MLB, and a pass rusher. With pass rusher being addressed in the first, I am hoping Demario steps up and I am hoping we don't resign Landry and give that money to Byrd instead. Adding Bernard and Moore and maybe another WR would give us a solid team IMO if Moore plays like he did in the 2011 season. Now a lot needs to be done, but I don't think we need to go into full rebuild mode. Definitely need to retool, but not full on rebuild

vCash
    Further proof that PFF isn't that good of a site for facts.

The Jets OL wasn't that bad, as many people on here try to claim, but...

If you really believe the Jets had the 3rd best OL in football, I have a 2014 Sanchez Super Bowl MVP trophy I like to sell you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Further proof that PFF isn't that good of a site for facts.

The Jets OL wasn't that bad, as many people on here try to claim, but...

If you really believe the Jets had the 3rd best OL in football, I have a 2014 Sanchez Super Bowl MVP trophy I like to sell you.
    Haha I was thinking the same thing, no way in hell that's true.

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

vCash
    If our O-Line is ranked 3rd then consider me Miles Davis...

vCash
    I guess when you always go three and out because the QB is always over throwing the ball and fumbling, the line will always look good

vCash
    I don't know guys. I mean they struggled heavily for the first quarter of the season especially with the run. But they eventually got it going and the run game looked decent. And the pass protection was mostly solid it was just that our Qb stinks and also can't get the ball out of his hand because receivers can't get open.

There were a few times where Howard got beat bad and Sanchez had no chance but not nearly as many times as the previous season with Hunter. I don't think this group is as bad as some of you make them out to be. I think the only area they need to improve really is depth. If one of our starters gets hurt I have little faith in the next guy up getting the job done.

vCash
    i agree with X in a sense... i think it is more difficult to grade out an entire unit like an O-line (more so than individual lineman, and much more so than skills positions), and as such, these types of generalized unit rankings need to be taken with a grain of salt.

was the o-line a major contributor to our offensive woes in 2012? no, at least not compared to other contributors.

was it the 3rd best unit in all of football in 2012? i think everyone who watched all 16 games would unanimously agree what the answer to that question is...
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash

Surprise: O-line ranks third in NFL

3rd is a little ridiculous to say the least, are the media just saying anything they can ??

PSD"S JETS FORUM SURVIVOR LEAGUE CHAMPION 2013

vCash
    lol Maybe not 3rd best but they're definitely not as bad as our offense makes them look.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjflightboy#10 View Post
    I don't know guys. I mean they struggled heavily for the first quarter of the season especially with the run. But they eventually got it going and the run game looked decent. And the pass protection was mostly solid it was just that our Qb stinks and also can't get the ball out of his hand because receivers can't get open.

There were a few times where Howard got beat bad and Sanchez had no chance but not nearly as many times as the previous season with Hunter. I don't think this group is as bad as some of you make them out to be. I think the only area they need to improve really is depth. If one of our starters gets hurt I have little faith in the next guy up getting the job done.
    I agree with you. They were bad early on but got better but I don't know if that is because our competition was worse. Howard is still bad and needs to be replaced. Moore and Slauson could be replaced but it is not a must if we resign Moore.

I'm still on the Warmack bandwagon

vCash
    Hard to imagine but I guess I would like to see any O-line do their job when you have Sanchez/Green and our rag tag group of recievers. Perhaps they were doing well and out skill players are so awful that the entire until looked bad.

Either way I dont think there was 1 single bright spot on offense and every one of them has something to prove this year IMO.

vCash
    Too bad we dont have either starting gaurd signed for 2013... more reason to take Warmack at the 9. (i dont trust we can trade back and still get him later.

vCash
    3rd is ridiculous. Look I get the offensive woes surrounding them didn't help but to exhonorate them is just dumb. The completely sucked at the beginning of the year. And by the time they found themselves our number 1 receiver was out, all the other receivers took turns getting hurt and not getting open, Keller as well, Mark was throwing like when your friend who can throw doesn't show up for a pick up game so someone that sucks takes a turn cause no one else will (although the rest didn't help with that) oh and our RBs couldn't help protect.

And even when they stepped it up they did so in the running game. The pass protection was not good very often.

So obviously there was more to it than the line, but with so few plays run because of so few 1st downs they also had less opportunities to look terrible, which helps when looking at raw statistics.

I feel like if Holmes didn't go down and Keller was healthy and our RBs could catch/block at a top level our offense would have been better, but the line deficiencies would have shined through much more clearly.
    Last edited by aNYer; 01-29-2013 at 11:03 AM.

vCash
    This doesn't exactly pass the smell test. Did these guys watch this team play? You would think a top OLine would be among the rushing leading offenses and allowing the fewest sacks. Neither is the case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast