Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquewho? View Post
    Grigson re-tooled an entire roster by signing unproven guys to essentially minimum contracts. This is with nearly 30M+ in dead cap space from making releases that didn't sit well with the public (Gary Brackett, Joseph Addai, Melvin Bullitt, Dallas Clark, a few others).

He re-assembled a new coaching staff.

His team went 2-14 last year to 11-5 and a first round exit in the playoffs this year when, including Colts fans like myself, no one realistically expected us to win more than 6 games.

If the Broncos would have been in the Super Bowl right now, I honestly do think Elway would have won considering the vote was 9-8 in Grigson's favor. But the fact is the Broncos lost in the same round as they did last year

Props to Grigson. I'm excited for the Indy future
    You go on with your bad self Bro!
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Wait, so Grigson re-tooled the entire roster basically yet people's main argument for Luck being MVP or ROY or whatever is that he led a 2-14 team to the playoffs? If the entire team is new then why is their record last year relevant?

vCash
    Their record last year is relevant because they were awful, so he tore the team up, started from anew, and had little cap room to work with, thus putting him in a position where he was forced to sign primarily minimum contract guys. You look at players like Cassius Vaughn, Darius Butler, Sergio Brown, Josh Gordy, Donnie Avery, Jerrell Freeman, and every single 1st/2nd year player who is making the league minimum.

When you can put together a team of young players on a team hindered with 30M+ in dead cap space, make the playoffs with a rookie QB, then that's pretty ****ing impressive.

And the defense wasn't too impressive either. And the NFL is based around the QB - if you don't have a good QB, you won't be relevant. In fact, despite throwing 3INT's against your Lions, Luck still managed to bring that team back with 5 minutes left and down 2 TD's. Not the only comeback he led this season.

Btw I'm not saying Luck should win ROY. I don't think he will. Most likely Wilson.

#iubb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Wait, so Grigson re-tooled the entire roster basically yet people's main argument for Luck being MVP or ROY or whatever is that he led a 2-14 team to the playoffs? If the entire team is new then why is their record last year relevant?
    That's a good point, you have me there a little. I guess my answer would be that Luck was the glue that brought it all together.

I still think Luck really carried that team with all new pieces. Good pieces that fit and were right moving forward. Those pieces were brought in by Grigson.

#YOTTO BABY COME BACK!!!!!!! #YOTTO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    That's a good point, you have me there a little. I guess my answer would be that Luck was the glue that brought it all together.

I still think Luck really carried that team with all new pieces. Good pieces that fit and were right moving forward. Those pieces were brought in by Grigson.
    Im just messing around a bit. Luck deserves tons of credit for the team's season, I just think the rest of the team gets overlooked a bit is all. Credit deserved by all involved.

vCash
    Im just messing around a bit. Luck deserves tons of credit for the team's season, I just think the rest of the team gets overlooked a bit is all. Credit deserved by all involved.

Lol! You got me dude! I thought you were serious and I agree the whole team deserves credit for this past season
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Definitely agree. I'm more impressed that they could be in a defensive transition and have so many new players and transition so smoothly overall more so than I am about the players he drafted or brought in. Not that he didn't do a great job there. Coaching staff needs some props too would be my point.

Even though they might have been the "worst 10 win team ever" according to some. It was still fun, at least for me, to watch play out.

vCash
    I had a Colts fan on here tell me that the Colts defense was really bad in games where they gave up 13, 13, 10, 13, 13, and 16 points.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 01-30-2013 at 02:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Definitely agree. I'm more impressed that they could be in a defensive transition and have so many new players and transition so smoothly overall more so than I am about the players he drafted or brought in. Not that he didn't do a great job there. Coaching staff needs some props too would be my point.

Even though they might have been the "worst 10 win team ever" according to some. It was still fun, at least for me, to watch play out.
    11 win team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OldStyleCubbies View Post
    11 win team.
    My apologies.

vCash
    it shows this guy made a playoff tema basically from scratch
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    The Indianapolis Colts spent $31.5 million on linebackers last season, 60 percent of their $52 million expenditure on defense and an enormous 37 percent of the $84.2 million they spent on all 2012 player salaries, according to a study conducted by Guardian News.

The reason?

Outside linebacker Dwight Freeney. He counted $19.035 million against the salary cap because of is $14 million base salary and $5 million bonus money deferred into the final season of his six-year, $72 million contract. Freeney started 14 games and made 12 tackles with five sacks while transitioning from end to outside linebacker.

The 2012 salary cap was $120.6 million but the Colts had only $84 million to spend (counting 2011 carryover and other bookkeeping items) because they had $38 million in “dead money,” prorated bonuses paid to players no longer with the team but not yet counted against the cap. Those players included Peyton Manning, Gary Brackett, Dallas Clark, Kelvin Hayden and Joseph Addai.

No one got more bang for their buck. Only Oakland, with expenditures of $83.3 million, spent less on salaries than the Colts, who went 11-5 and made the playoffs.

The Colts spent $27.2 million on offense compared to Oakland, next lowest at $36.8 million, and Tampa Bay, the highest at $75.8 million.

The reason?

The Colts offense was comprised largely of youth and low level free agents. Rookies like quarterback Andrew Luck ($4 million), tight ends Coby Fleener ($971,000) and Dwayne Allen ($566,000), second-year left tackle Anthony Costanzo ($1.8 million) and veteran wide receiver Donnie Avery ($615,000) were relatively cheap.

Twelfth-year wide receiver Reggie Wayne was the offense’s biggest cap hit at $3.5 million.

Special teams expenditures accounted for only $4.9 million.

It’s all further evidence of general manager Ryan Grigson, the NFL’s Executive of the Year, his staff and the coaching staff doing a lot with a little.
    http://blogs.indystar.com/philrichar...napolis-colts/

article states just how impressive Grigson did considering he had almost 0 spending money.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    This, you can't argue both ways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    This, you can't argue both ways.
    its not both ways, its honroing both people incredible efforts and jobs with that team last year. one does not invalidate the other
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345