Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    vCash
    Kobe has 3 straight games with double digit assists. must be a first time in his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    As many of you know the Lakers had a team meeting prior to the Memphis game and "reset" their season, making a fresh start. That didn't last long though as Howard went down early in the game and the Lakers racked up another loss. Kobe record 3 assists that game and lead the team in scoring.

Since that game though the Lakers are 3-1, and though last night's loss to the Suns is a bit embarrassing, they did get wins over playoff teams as they beat the Jazz, and the league's best team in the Thunder. If the Lakers keep up the winning percentage they've posted in the last four game, it will be good enough to squeeze into the playoffs.

The odd thing is, over the last 4 games, Kobe is averaging a double-double (averaging 12 assists per game) as he has taken on the role of play maker, having back-to-back 14 assist games, and then handing out 11 dimes the next time out, and 9 last night. I've been a critic of Bryant largely because I've always seen him as a selfish player, and see guys like Bird, Magic, and Duncan as being better than Bryant because they were such great facilitators. Kobe though seems to have gone into facilitator mode and his team is reaping the benefits. My hope is to see Kobe fully embrace this role from here on out, but I suspect he may return to his typical style of play soon.

So what do you think? Do you think Kobe as the play maker is here to stay? Or is this just a statistical anomaly? And if Kobe does embrace this role of facilitator, what do you think it means for the Lakers? Good or bad? I just wish he had done this years ago, because I think he really could have been a really special player had been been more of a facilitator, though that said he is, even with the style of play he has used, he is the second best SG of all time and arguably the most successful player of his generation.
    I think Kobe is a special player no matter your opinion of him. And I think you give Bird far too much credit for being a "facilitator," especially given the cast of HOF players around him, while completely missing the point that Tim as a Center playing PF is supposed to be a facilitator in 90% of the offensive schemes in existence. I don't even think we even need to discuss Magic, for obvious reasons.

Lastly, I think if you're expecting Kobe to do something in the last 2 years of his career to sway your view of him, that's a lot of sweating, squeezing and grunting for nothing. About as pointless as a sterile man volunteering at a sperm donor clinic. No fruit will ever spring from that seed.

Give it 5 - 10 years after Kobe retires, then come back and tell us what you think. I'm guessing it will take about that length of droll NBA with sub-tier "superstars" who are less polarizing than Kobe to truly appreciate what he brought to the game.
    Last edited by RaiderLakersA's; 01-31-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

vCash
    After brick city last night, I wouldn't blame him if he shot 40 times next game

vCash
    If his teammates play like they did in the second half it will frustrate him, and it should. But once it did bother him he definitely turned the ball over like crazy trying to get too much going

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNumber37 View Post
    Kobe has 3 straight games with double digit assists. must be a first time in his career.
    He went 4 times in a row in I think 2009.

#wankfortiggins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    Don't know how many people watched the game yesterday, but I think it was Dragic who said their gameplan was double Kobe and force him to kick it to the corners.

He did that, and Metta shot 10 threes, I'd say 9 of which were with nobody within 10 feet of him. Bricks. Then Clark missed his, even Nash couldn't hit anything. I'd say a good 60-65% of those were off of Kobe kick outs. Nobody could hit a shot.

He passed the ball well again yesterday, but we just couldn't buy a shot.
    If the alternative to Kobe scoring 30 is Metta Ron Peace shooting 10 three pointers, well, I think opposing teams will settle for that.

He's maybe gotta look to find a bit better of a balance early on? I don't know. Kobe set up a lot more than 9 shots last night...but most were threes to Metta and Earl it feels like. They missed a lot of 'em.

I feel bad for criticizing Kobe for doing something I always thought he should do...but it seems like he's at an all-or-nothing point right now. It's either pure distribution mode or pure score mode (late in games). A happy balance could be devastating.

And if Howard misses significant time, the Lakers are toast regardless.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Kobe needs to finally retire and give it up..The Lakers miss the playoffs this year..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    About as pointless as a sterile man volunteering at a sperm donor clinic
    Nice analogy.

#wankfortiggins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    Kobe will do whatever it take to win. If it's scoring, then he will score, if it's passing, then he will pass. It's no accident that Kobe is the most prolific winner of his generation. He is now proving that he can play any style it takes to win. His basketball IQ and skill set are second to none. He can literally do it all when he wants to. He is the best in the league in post play and P&R scoring. He easily has the best all around skill set and foot work in the history of the game. We are all lucky that he is still in this league playing at such a high level. A true testament to his insane work ethic which is also second to none. So to answer the question, yes Kobe will keep up his play.

really? LAKERS org is prolific or does that all have to do with BEAN also? you fiens are amazing

Led by Hall of Famers Elgin Baylor and Jerry West, Los Angeles made the NBA Finals six times in the 1960s
    The Lakers won five championships in Minneapolis, propelled by center George Mikan - They even won in MINNYVILLE(those damn Lakers)

Won title in 70's also
    won 5 in 9yrs in 80's
    struggled for few yrs in 90's and got SHAQ via freeagent,BEAN via draft trade
    00's went to like 7Finals app.
    MAGIC/WEST went to like 18-20 NBA Finals rds combined, and WEST is the NBA logo

so yeah we get that its no accident that a LAKER/CELTIC might be the most prolific( i call it decorated) winner of they time/era, WEST/MAGIC have been to more FINALS combined a slew of HOF'ers combined careers,multiple players

BEAN has been playing like this since day1 NBA, just go look at his 7,15,19ppg avg and they went to WCF each yr basically...so this is nothing new for those who truly follow and play bball....this media perception clogs up the mind a little bit too often

working with HAKEEM and mimimicking JORDAN would 'enhance' your postgame somewhat right? diff. betweent JORDAN/KOBE postgame is quite simple ...JORDAN had to postup because lack of a post presence working with CARTWRIGHT-HORACE-RODMAN-LUC....but BEAN is just a copycat because a combo of SHAQ/GASOL/BYNUM/HOWARD means you stay out of the post so cut it out with the best footwork talk,hes copying a legend and getting props for it, good job

STERN/media is lucky he is still playing so they can lean on JORDAN even longer, wackest hype job ever...if you came up on JORDAN its not special watching a replica

now i'll give you work ethic because he was HSPOY and he picked his stacked squad and he had to battle like 2 or 3 guys for playing time coming from a backup position and stayed a gym rat, him and HORRY use to have 3pt battles like crazy i heard.....his work ethic is not 2nd to none, but its pretty lethal considering he was in his 'mind' JORDAN, but backing up JONES/NICK(but i get it he can literally do what he wants,you said it)

Its funny how i called him a PIPPtype player his inception, and now leaning toward his departure hes playing exactly like that now ...PIPP=MAGICtype game(all around)

like i said, you are who you are from day1, til mediahype gets involved
    Last edited by 3RDASYSTEM; 01-31-2013 at 12:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKERMANIA View Post
    Sig the agreement
    I don't know how -_-

vCash
    Kobe hates to lose so I'm sure if the rest of the team fails to finish the attempts he's setting up, he'll go back to taking a lot of shots. Right now, he's trusting his guys a lot.

I like that he's being selective with his shots this year and this has him shooting a high fg%. He's passing the ball and turning down tough shots.

In the past, he probably had to create for himself and take tough shots because either he didn't trust his guys to finish the play or he didn't think he had any other good offensive players around him. But now, he's trusting them. Maybe it's because of Nash getting into his head a little or maybe he just has realized that his teammates can get the job done if he gives them some chances.

vCash
    Kobe is such a selfish chucker. Im sure it kills him to pass the ball.

BRIA MYLES.....SWAG!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    I think Kobe is a special player no matter your opinion of him. And I think you give Bird far too much credit for being a "facilitator," especially given the cast of HOF players around him, while completely missing the point that Tim as a Center playing PF is supposed to be a facilitator in 90% of the offensive schemes in existence. I don't even think we even need to discuss Magic, for obvious reasons.

Lastly, I think if you're expecting Kobe to do something in the last 2 years of his career to sway your view of him, that's a lot of sweating, squeezing and grunting for nothing. About as pointless as a sterile man volunteering at a sperm donor clinic. No fruit will ever spring from that seed.

Give it 5 - 10 years after Kobe retires, then come back and tell us what you think. I'm guessing it will take about that length of droll NBA with sub-tier "superstars" who are less polarizing than Kobe to truly appreciate what he brought to the game.
    But we already have both more a more polarizing and better superstar in the league right now? We also went through all of Kobe's prime with an equally if not more productive superstar, only he does nothing to promote dislike or awe in a casual fan, didn't have his game bred in the limelight, and therefore is not a media baby. I still appreciate him more than virtually any other player we've seen.

Not to detract from everything he's accomplished, which is a ton, but the bottom line is that Kobe will be easily forgotten. We got past Jordan, and he is in no way Jordan. Plus, the next wave of superstars are incredible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    But we already have both more a more polarizing and better superstar in the league right now? We also went through all of Kobe's prime with an equally if not more productive superstar, only he does nothing to promote dislike or awe in a casual fan, didn't have his game bred in the limelight, and therefore is not a media baby. I still appreciate him more than virtually any other player we've seen.

Not to detract from everything he's accomplished, which is a ton, but the bottom line is that Kobe will be easily forgotten. We got past Jordan, and he is in no way Jordan. Plus, the next wave of superstars are incredible.
    Maybe to 15 year old kids like you. Jordan has definetly not been forgotten. Kobe will already be remembered as well. Same with lebron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSIONIST^248 View Post
    Maybe to 15 year old kids like you. Jordan has definetly not been forgotten. Kobe will already be remembered as well. Same with lebron.
    Oooh burn. I watched all of Jordan's prime, I remember him fine.

But no fanboy, if you exercised some reading comprehension you'd see I was responding to a comment insisting that the current superstars weren't up to the billing to lead the league forward, and that only when we see this drought of stardom would we appreciate Kobe's heroics. ...Not happening. League is fine without Kobe.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast