Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaterdude View Post
    I don't think the Cubs have had enough time to acquire young arms considering the Theo regime has been around for one draft and one international free agent signing period (I could be wrong on that).

Most of the Cubs' best prospects have yet to eclipse AA which is why I believe they were ranked at #10. They have tons of potential with a lot of positional players but none of them have made the jump to the next level.

The lack of young pitching is a problem but we might not be talking about this if the Cubs were able to trade Garza and Dempster at the time and at the price the FO wanted to trade them for. Give it another draft, IFA period, and trade deadline to see what the young pitching talent looks like then.
    That's the thing: the only way to add upper level young talent is by trading established major league players and the pool of talent the FO has had to trade with hasn't been that great. On the flip side, this regime has added Rizzo, Vizcaino, and Villanueva. Even after graduating Rizzo, Sickels still considers them a top 10 system with all the risks associated with young minor league talent.

One season isn't really enough time see the fruits of their labor in regard to adding young talent through trades but the team already acquired a borderline first tier starting first baseman and a player who could either be a regular in the rotation or a high leverage reliever as soon as the middle of this upcoming season. Villanueva could have an opportunity this season, too, given the Cubs' issues at third base. Hopefully they won't rush him up, though. I'd hate to see another Vitters situation.

That's not bad for one season.
    Last edited by terencem; 01-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    That's about the best you are gonna get out of Kyle "This group is not terrible". Better just accept it and move on.
    Pretty much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenatorMendoza View Post
    Being a top 10 while graduating Rizzo and Castillo, the Cubs best prospect and a solid top 10 prospect is an accomplishment.
    Yeah, while someone could say #10 is about par, their biggest prospect acquisition was Rizzo last season. For that reason, you really cant compare their current ranking to what the FO has been able to do in a year, as far as stockpiling young future talent.

vCash
    Im looking forward to seeing what Christian Villanueva does about the whole "wide open 3B" thing this year. He's at the pivotal level of AA ball, and one of my breakout candidates. That leaves 2B for the taking with Baez and a homegrown infield ftw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    What I don't think you guys are acknowledging is that they're 10th with most of their prospects in the low minors. If they didn't add a single prospect in 2013, the farm would still stand a great chance to move up near 5 just based on those prospects being closer to the majors. That's not the same thing as a team that's 10th with half its prospects being in the upper tiers of the minors. That is why what Theo/Jed have done is so impressive. They're ranked 10 currently, but the talent is better than that.
    I completely agree with this.

But I still think with the resources they've committed to adding prospects, this is the result we should expect. When you divert virtually every available resources to the acquisition of prospects, you darn well better have the best prospects.

vCash
    That is true. Acquiring prospects isn't the hard part, the Cubs have always been able to acquire talented minor leaguers.

The key will be in how these guys develop in the revamped minors. That will be where Theo and all those guys make their mark with the organization.

The Cubs have made valiant attempts at building through the farm before. Each time it's led to a highly ranked system. This time is supposed to be how they make it past the whole "yay we made the lists" part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post

But I still think with the resources they've committed to adding prospects, this is the result we should expect. When you divert virtually every available resources to the acquisition of prospects, you darn well better have the best prospects.
    True but where do you think Sickels ranks them if Rizzo wasnt called up last season? To me, thats more important than how he currently ranks them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimbrH2001 View Post
    True but where do you think Sickels ranks them if Rizzo wasnt called up last season? To me, thats more important than how he currently ranks them.
    Meh. Every team has call-ups. Graduation is part of the process (and also why it's kind of stupid to care so much about these rankings).

Where would it have been when Theo took over if Castro was still at AAA?

vCash
    point is Theo added Rizzo so he should be included in the evaluation of what they have done in their short time so far. Not that I care to argue either point, just adding that qualifier.

vCash
    Meh. Every team has call-ups. Graduation is part of the process (and also why it's kind of stupid to care so much about these rankings).

Where would it have been when Theo took over if Castro was still at AAA?
    Thats my point. I really dont care much for the rankings, nor for the analysis that this FO has been par for the course considering the amount of spending they've done to build it up to #10. Point is, if Rizzo was still part of the discussion, theyre higher up on this list.

vCash
    If everyone got to add their best graduating prospect to their ranking, I'm not sure we move that far from 10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimbrH2001 View Post
    Thats my point. I really dont care much for the rankings, nor for the analysis that this FO has been par for the course considering the amount of spending they've done to build it up to #10. Point is, if Rizzo was still part of the discussion, theyre higher up on this list.
    You can't say the Cubs would rank higher with Rizzo unless you adjust every team for the players they graduated to the majors.

The ranking doesn't really matter - the proof will be how many players can make an impact at the major league level.

vCash

What the intrinsic value is of the Cubs having the 10th best system in the league aside (I tend to think the boards are overvaluing what this really means), your argument is a bit like saying "we shouldn't be surprised that organizations that take a winning strategy and execute well end up winning". The fact is, their strategy around investing and their strategy around player development are conscious decisions that should pay significant dividends. And these are decisions that not all organizations make, and not organizations are able to execute well.

Baseball is littered with **** organizations who have had many top picks who have also done much less than the cubs have (including, for most of its history, the Chicago Cubs).
    Next year, we are totally going to win a playoff game.

vCash
    Well, sure. That's exactly what I'm saying. They've chosen a strategy and this proves that they aren't failing at that strategy in the early stages when it was hardest to fail.

vCash
    To early to tell if they are failing or not, imo. Let's see how these players are brought up through the system. This is part of the reason why I have such a hard time with these rankings. Never underestimate an organization's ability to do a Felix Pie on a player. Often it is the player. And often it is the development staff. What we have are a bunch of potential perfect diamonds. Who knows how many nicks we will put into them as we start to polish.
    Next year, we are totally going to win a playoff game.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast