Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

So whose issue is the annual early season swoon anyway?

Every year for a while now we have heard that Luongo sucks early in the season. So far we have not seen great play from the team or from Schneider. We can't blame Luu this year!

So whose issue is the annual early season swoon anyway?

The goalie's?

The coach's?

The GMs? (for not addressing talent deficits in the lineup)

The rest of the team?

All of the above?

My opinion is that it takes a while for AV to get an OK but not great lineup to start working like a machine to overcome their lack of talent.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Can any of it be attributed to a few bounces and luck?

Obviously the injuries hurt and there is some bad play, underperformance but its a 6 game sample size. Teams tart off slow, there was no preseason either

vCash
    There are no excuses. Everybody else on the league is dealing with the same issues. They had all the time in the world to be prepared. Sedins look like they lost strength and our defence looks terrible. On the bright side Burrows has looked great at center. He could be the answer to the third line once Kesler comes back. If we could get one good sniper this te would look slot better as well.

vCash
    Besides the first game, Schneider hasn't been bad. The team, just like whenever Luongo plays, just doens't play up to its standards early in the season.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Well it's another slow start, and usually Luongo gets blamed. Is it possible that Gillis just has to get over his stubbornness and make some meaningful changes to the lineup?

vCash
    Yes. We need to try and package Luongo with another quality piece and go for a proven goal scorer.

vCash
    Just my opinion:

First, I would say AV is most to blame. Part of a coaches job is to have his team ready for the regular season, to motivate and keep focussed. The Canucks are always off to a slow start it seems. We can blame the players, but shouldn't AV better prepare his team, especially knowing they tend to start slow? AV should be pushing hard in training camp/practices and ready his team for Game 1. As well, this whole Luongo drama started when AV pulled Lu in LA, during the playoffs, and put in Schneids. That sent a huge message to our starter, and from there Lu's been on a mission to get out of Vancouver. AV is also responsible for arranging the shootout shooters. I'm still confused why he keeps putting Edler out there, instead of more offensively gifted players.

Second, I would blame Gillis. Once the Luongo drama started, he should have gotten Lu out of there immediately. His stubborness and not being able to make a decent deal has caused distraction with the team, and might even be a small part of the reason Schneids has been shaky. I don't blame the kid, he's probably wondering why Lu's still hanging around, glaring at him from the bench, wondering if he's really the starter and the Canucks #1 guy.

Third, the defense has been bad. Three games we've had a 2-goal lead and lost those games. Garrison has been plain bad - he looks like he should be in Chicago and we should have up Vandameer (toughness and experience), Edler's been careless, Ballard's been okay (for Ballard), but I'm just waiting for him to score on his own net one day.

After that, I think the Sedins and Edler have had a rough start, have made a lot of mistakes - but these guys are our stars and they have to lead this team, set an example. PLAY WITH SOME EMOTION AND EFFORT. It is difficult to lay a lot of blame though, they are leading the team in points, but they could be getting more I suppose.

After that it's a combination of undisciplined play and bad penalties (Lapierre, Bieksa), we've also been struggling in the faceoff circle, killing penalties and power plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NUCK-U View Post
    Just my opinion:

First, I would say AV is most to blame. Part of a coaches job is to have his team ready for the regular season, to motivate and keep focussed. The Canucks are always off to a slow start it seems. We can blame the players, but shouldn't AV better prepare his team, especially knowing they tend to start slow? AV should be pushing hard in training camp/practices and ready his team for Game 1. As well, this whole Luongo drama started when AV pulled Lu in LA, during the playoffs, and put in Schneids. That sent a huge message to our starter, and from there Lu's been on a mission to get out of Vancouver. AV is also responsible for arranging the shootout shooters. I'm still confused why he keeps putting Edler out there, instead of more offensively gifted players.

Second, I would blame Gillis. Once the Luongo drama started, he should have gotten Lu out of there immediately. His stubborness and not being able to make a decent deal has caused distraction with the team, and might even be a small part of the reason Schneids has been shaky. I don't blame the kid, he's probably wondering why Lu's still hanging around, glaring at him from the bench, wondering if he's really the starter and the Canucks #1 guy.

Third, the defense has been bad. Three games we've had a 2-goal lead and lost those games. Garrison has been plain bad - he looks like he should be in Chicago and we should have up Vandameer (toughness and experience), Edler's been careless, Ballard's been okay (for Ballard), but I'm just waiting for him to score on his own net one day.

After that, I think the Sedins and Edler have had a rough start, have made a lot of mistakes - but these guys are our stars and they have to lead this team, set an example. PLAY WITH SOME EMOTION AND EFFORT. It is difficult to lay a lot of blame though, they are leading the team in points, but they could be getting more I suppose.

After that it's a combination of undisciplined play and bad penalties (Lapierre, Bieksa), we've also been struggling in the faceoff circle, killing penalties and power plays.
    In other words, Ryan Kesler.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Yes our PK looks horrible without kesler.