Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

North Korean parents eating own children as famine hits

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

A starving man in North Korea has been executed after murdering his two children for food, reports from inside the secretive state claim.
    A 'hidden famine' in the farming provinces of North and South Hwanghae is believed to have killed up to 10,000 people and there are fears that incidents of cannibalism have risen.
    The grim story is just one to emerge as residents battle starvation after a drought hit farms and shortages were compounded by party officials confiscating food.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has spent vast sums of money on two rocket launches despite reports of desperate food shortages in the country and concerns that 10,000 people have died in a famine
    Undercover reporters from Asia Press told the Sunday Times that one man dug up his grandchild's corpse and ate it. Another, boiled his own child for food.

More...
    Thirty die in riots after Egyptian court sentences 21 to death for football violence which killed 74 fans
    French troops gain control of key Malian city in offensive to drive out Islamic militants
    Despite reports of the widespread famine, Kim Jong Un, 30, has spent vast sums of money on two rocket launches in recent months.
    There are fears he is planning a nuclear test in protest at a UN Security Council punishment for the recent rocket launches and to counter what it sees as US hostility.
    One informant was quoted as saying: 'In my village in May a man who killed his own two children and tried to eat them was executed by a firing squad.'

Farming communities, such as these pictured outside the capital Pyongyang last year, have been desperately hit by drought which has led to reports of people turning to cannibalism in a bid to ward off starvation

One official said the fields are in such a bad state from drought that he had to avert his eyes
    The informant said the father killed his eldest daughter while his wife was away on business and then killed his son because he had witnessed the murder.
    When his wife returned the man told her they had 'meat' but she became suspicious and contacted officials who discovered part of the children's bodies.
    Jiro Ishimaru, from Asia Press, which compiled a 12 page report, said: 'Particularly shocking were the numerous testimonies that hit us about cannibalism.'
    Undercover reporters said food was confiscated from the two provinces and given to the residents of the capital Pyongyang.
    A drought then left food supplies desperately short.

Cannibalism has also been reported in the vast network of prison camps inside North Korea, such as Camp 22, pictured, where 50,000 are believed to be imprisoned
    The Sunday Times also quoted an official of the ruling Korean Worker's party as saying: 'In a village in Chongdan county, a man who went mad with hunger boiled his own child, ate his flesh and was arrested.
    United Nations officials visited the area during a state-sponsored trip but local reporters said it is unlikely they were shown the famine-hit areas.
    It has not the first time that reports of cannibalism have come out of the country.
    In May last year, the South Korean state-run Korean Institute for National Unification said that one man was executed after eating part of a colleague and then trying to sell the remains as mutton.
    One man killed and ate a girl and a third report of cannibalism was recorded from 2011.
    Another man was executed in May after murdering 11 people and selling the bodies as pork.
    There were also reports of cannibalism in the country's network of prison camps.
    North Korea was hit by a terrible famine in the 1990s - known as the Arduous March - which killed between 240,000 and 3.5million people.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2JIiCiun9
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    figured we could all use a good dose of we don't have it that bad.

vCash
    Wouldn't that title be far more suitable for the General?

I would take any story like this from an organ known to many Brits as the Daily Nazi with a large sack of salt. Though certainly, from what little we know of N. Korea, the possibility exists.

vCash
    Well, it must be the United States fault after all. They are a peaceful nation and if the United States didn't impose sanctions they would be living large. Therefore, the United States is in effect feeding parents their children for dinner.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Kim Jong Un can suck it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    Wouldn't that title be far more suitable for the General?

I would take any story like this from an organ known to many Brits as the Daily Nazi with a large sack of salt. Though certainly, from what little we know of N. Korea, the possibility exists.
    No it's fine here it's dealing with foreign politics.

Yea I don't take anyone serious who actually calls groups or people they dislike or don't agree with nazi's unless they are actually nazi's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Well, it must be the United States fault after all. They are a peaceful nation and if the United States didn't impose sanctions they would be living large. Therefore, the United States is in effect feeding parents their children for dinner.
    Well I personally don't think they would be living large, but none the less I think all countries that have sanctions imposed by the US usually are crippled by them. The fact no one has thrived under sanctions by the US and UN is pretty telling at how deadly those sanctions are. And they usually hurt those who have the least involvement in why the sanctions are here in the first place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Well I personally don't think they would be living large, but none the less I think all countries that have sanctions imposed by the US usually are crippled by them. The fact no one has thrived under sanctions by the US and UN is pretty telling at how deadly those sanctions are. And they usually hurt those who have the least involvement in why the sanctions are here in the first place.

I remember watching a documentary on North Korea and it was actually given food and assistance by the US in exchange for shutting down its nuclear program. They then went back on their word and tried to extort more money from us. Much of the food ended up being sold and not redistributed like it was supposed to be. The fact is their people are starving while they are spending money building nuclear weapons and maintaining the 4th largest active military force in the world.

As for the Daily Nazi, its a common liberal tactic to try and slander and marginalize conservative publications. The Daily Mail is as legitimate a publication as any liberal English paper if not more so.
    Last edited by knicksfan42; 01-28-2013 at 04:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    I remember watching a documentary on North Korea and it was actually given food and assistance by the US in exchange for shutting down its nuclear program. They then went back on their word and tried to extort more money from us. Much of the food ended up being sold and not redistribute like it was supposed. The fact is their people are starving while they are spending money building nuclear weapons and maintaining the 4th largest active military force in the world.

As for the Daily Nazi, its a common liberal tactic to try and slander and marginalize conservative publications. The Daily Mail is as legitimate a publication as any liberal English paper if not more so.
    This makes me sick. I pray for all those N Korean citizens who had the unfortunate luck to be born in that country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    No it's fine here it's dealing with foreign politics.

Yea I don't take anyone serious who actually calls groups or people they dislike or don't agree with nazi's unless they are actually nazi's.
    It's also hard to take anyone with your reading comprehension skills seriously. I didn't call 'anyone' a Nazi.

I simply informed the readership here that the newspaper you got the report from, the Daily Mail of London, is known as the Daily Nazi to many people in Britain, mainly due to its historic extreme right (in the UK context) bias.

I thought that might be of interest as background about your source, since I thought that most here would not have known that.
    Last edited by AmsterNat; 01-28-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: typo

vCash

Depends if we're talking US or UK now. If I remember correctly, 'Daily Nazi' was originally coined by Private Eye, which is not exactly a 'liberal' organ. I was not decrying its credentials as a 'legitimate' publication, which all major UK newspapers (except the Sun) are. To suggest, as you do, that the Mail may somehow have more legitimacy than any other paper is patently absurd. "Any liberal English paper" - I take it you're using 'liberal' in its US context here, in which case there is only one truly liberal, quality paper in the UK, namely The Guardian - or, as Private Eye called it many decades ago, The Grauniad.

vCash

Depends if we're talking US or UK now. If I remember correctly, 'Daily Nazi' was originally coined by Private Eye, which is not exactly a 'liberal' organ. I was not decrying its credentials as a 'legitimate' publication, which all major UK newspapers (except the Sun) are. To suggest, as you do, that the Mail may somehow have more legitimacy than any other paper is patently absurd. "Any liberal English paper" - I take it you're using 'liberal' in its US context here, in which case there is only one truly liberal, quality paper in the UK, namely The Guardian - or, as Private Eye called it many decades ago, The Grauniad.
    "I would take any story like this from an organ known to many Brits as the Daily Nazi with a large sack of salt."
    You quite obviously were attacking the newspapers' reporting legitimacy. Saying that we shouldn't trust the OP's post because it was published by the Daily Mail, which many liberals in the UK call the Daily Nazi.

In other word take the information with a grain of salt because it was published by a conservative publication. I assume stories from the UK's largest liberal paper the Guardian are not to be taken "with a large sack of salt."
    Last edited by knicksfan42; 01-28-2013 at 05:03 PM.

vCash
    I never cared much for Korean food.

vCash
    "I would take any story like this from an organ known to many Brits as the Daily Nazi with a large sack of salt."
    You quite obviously were attacking the newspapers' reporting legitimacy. Saying that we shouldn't trust the OP's post because it was published by the Daily Mail, which many liberals in the UK call the Daily Nazi.

In other word take the information with a grain of salt because it was published by a conservative publication. I assume stories from the UK's largest liberal paper the Guardian are not to be taken "with a large sack of salt."
    The Grauniad rarely, to my knowledge, publishes stories about cannibalism. Nor does the NYT or the Washington Post, for example. The subject of cannibalism is the metier of the National Enquirer.

Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else, can know if this story is true. I bet the Mail didn't have 'their man' on the ground in NK either. Until such time as this is confirmed by a broader section of the responsible and respected international media, I choose to look at it with that large bag of salt, yes.

vCash
    The Grauniad rarely, to my knowledge, publishes stories about cannibalism. Nor does the NYT or the Washington Post, for example. The subject of cannibalism is the metier of the National Enquirer.

Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else, can know if this story is true. I bet the Mail didn't have 'their man' on the ground in NK either. Until such time as this is confirmed by a broader section of the responsible and respected international media, I choose to look at it with that large bag of salt, yes.
    I think The Mail did have a guy in the ground.

He was an appetizer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast