Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Flyer's Needs

vCash

Flyer's Needs

With the injuries coming in, and the team's play so far, there are a couple of needs I think the Flyers need to fix.

1) First thing they need is a mobil defenseman that can shoot and pass the puck. I thought I would never say this, but I am begining to miss Carle. But not much. PK Subban would be a perfect long-term fix, but not if the cost is too high. The Flyers should be able to get away with getting a vet like Visnozsky for the season.

2) Back-up goalie. I, along with everyone else, was puzzled when the Flyers decided Leighton would be the back-up goalie this season. He's not an NHL goalie, and he has no business on this team. We need to find someone that can fill in for Bryz for spot duty. Not Leighton, not Boucher, not some unknown goalie. Bryz has been great so far this year, for now we don't need to look for the "next" goalie like Markstrom or Bernier.

3) Scoring Winger. Way at the bottom of the list would be a scoring winger. We might have to trade some wing depth to get the above 2 needs. Knuble was a great pick-up already. Someone that goes to the net and squeeze the "pass first" pimple off these kids arsses. Sign another guy just like him. Boy I miss Jagr.

My Solutions:
    1) Trade for Visnovsky. Offer NYI the same pick they sent to Anahiem for him under the condition he comes back and plays, otherwise, drop the pick down to a 5th rouder or so. Make them take a minor leaguer to open the roster space.

2) Sign Dwayne Roloson. He is old, but he backstopped Tampa all the way to conference finals 2 years ago. He has to be better then Leighton. If he isn't good to go get Alex Auld, Marty Turco, Antero Niitymaki, or Ty Conklin.

3) Sign Petr Sykora. Last year this guy has 20+ goals and still doesn't have an NHL Job? Sign him up.

Read-Giroux-Simmonds
    Schenn-Briere-Knuble
    Sykora-Couturier-Voracek
    Redotenko-Talbot-Rinaldo/McGinn/Wellwood

Timonen-Schenn
    Grossmann-Coburn
    Visnovsky-Gervais/Foster
    Last edited by Youarewrong; 01-28-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Just want to add they also need to fix the PP and PK. I think thier formula is off. Take the forward off the point.

Giroux-Briere-Knuble
    Timonen-Schenn

Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
    Visnovsky-Coburn

3rd unit
    Read-Couturier-PlayerX

PK Units
    Couturier-Read
    Talbot-Sykora
    Giroux-Fedotenko
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    With the injuries coming in, and the team's play so far, there are a couple of needs I think the Flyers need to fix.

1) First thing they need is a mobil defenseman that can shoot and pass the puck. I thought I would never say this, but I am begining to miss Carle. But not much. PK Subban would be a perfect long-term fix, but not if the cost is too high. The Flyers should be able to get away with getting a vet like Visnozsky for the season.

2) Back-up goalie. I, along with everyone else, was puzzled when the Flyers decided Leighton would be the back-up goalie this season. He's not an NHL goalie, and he has no business on this team. We need to find someone that can fill in for Bryz for spot duty. Not Leighton, not Boucher, not some unknown goalie. Bryz has been great so far this year, for now we don't need to look for the "next" goalie like Markstrom or Bernier.

3) Scoring Winger. Way at the bottom of the list would be a scoring winger. We might have to trade some wing depth to get the above 2 needs. Knuble was a great pick-up already. Someone that goes to the net and squeeze the "pass first" pimple off these kids arsses. Sign another guy just like him. Boy I miss Jagr.

My Solutions:
    1) Trade for Visnovsky. Offer NYI the same pick they sent to Anahiem for him under the condition he comes back and plays, otherwise, drop the pick down to a 5th rouder or so. Make them take a minor leaguer to open the roster space.

2) Sign Dwayne Roloson. He is old, but he backstopped Tampa all the way to conference finals 2 years ago. He has to be better then Leighton. If he isn't good to go get Alex Auld, Marty Turco, Antero Niitymaki, or Ty Conklin.

3) Sign Petr Sykora. Last year this guy has 20+ goals and still doesn't have an NHL Job? Sign him up.
    You just developed a Stop-Gap plan that most of us agreed was the wrong thing to do.

Lubo is staying in the KHL, trading for him (roster space or not) would be pointless. Roloson was just terrible last season, probably the primary reason Tampa did so poorly and traded for a rookie goaltender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elate View Post
    You just developed a Stop-Gap plan that most of us agreed was the wrong thing to do.

Lubo is staying in the KHL, trading for him (roster space or not) would be pointless. Roloson was just terrible last season, probably the primary reason Tampa did so poorly and traded for a rookie goaltender.
    Lubo's agent said he'd return to the NHL. Waiting on legal/family stuff to be finalized so he can return:

"2013/01/26: Lubomir Visnovsky will return to the Islanders no later than Feb. 11, according to his agent, Neil Sheehy. There's a chance he reports sooner, but that's all based on the resolution of "medical reasons within his immediate family." Visnovsky has been in Europe throughout the lockout and was recently suspended by the Islanders. He'll be a welcome addition to the Islanders' blue line and could be a good stash in fantasy leagues. (Source: Neil Sheehy on Twitter)"

I dont' think it's a terrible idea to make a move for a guy like Lubo who can move the puck, QB a PP, and do it all for very limited cost.

Sykora would be a nice pick-up, as long as he can play.

Stop-gap is much better than blowing up the team at this point. We all agreed that a few veteran players to replace those lost in the offseason is the major difference between this team and last years' team. Some speed would be a welcome addition to our blue-line, and this plan would provide that without forcing up to give up Laughton/Read/Simmonds/Couturier/Schenn. Solid plan. We can re-evaluate next offseason when a number of quality players with big contracts are amnesty'd.
    Last edited by Ace23; 01-28-2013 at 02:13 PM.

vCash
    I highly doubt anyone on the Flyers, including Briere, is going to get bought out. That is a last resort option for a guy making seven million on your AHL team (Gomez, Redden). Do not bank of the buyout.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    Lubo's agent said he'd return to the NHL. Waiting on legal/family stuff to be finalized so he can return:

"2013/01/26: Lubomir Visnovsky will return to the Islanders no later than Feb. 11, according to his agent, Neil Sheehy. There's a chance he reports sooner, but that's all based on the resolution of "medical reasons within his immediate family." Visnovsky has been in Europe throughout the lockout and was recently suspended by the Islanders. He'll be a welcome addition to the Islanders' blue line and could be a good stash in fantasy leagues. (Source: Neil Sheehy on Twitter)"

I dont' think it's a terrible idea to make a move for a guy like Lubo who can move the puck, QB a PP, and do it all for very limited cost.

Sykora would be a nice pick-up, as long as he can play.

Stop-gap is much better than blowing up the team at this point. We all agreed that a few veteran players to replace those lost in the offseason is the major difference between this team and last years' team. Some speed would be a welcome addition to our blue-line, and this plan would provide that without forcing up to give up Laughton/Read/Simmonds/Couturier/Schenn. Solid plan. We can re-evaluate next offseason when a number of quality players with big contracts are amnesty'd.

Bingo. No reason this team can't compete now. Add a few stop gaps for this season, and then do your perminate fix next year. Don't throw out a perfectly good team, when a tweek here or there will add a lot to the team.

I will admit that I hated Knuble when he was originally here. He was slow and took too many penalities. Now I think he is the perfect piece for this team. I think a mobil D-man, Back-up goalie, and secondary scoring winger would put this team in the top 5 of the conference.

vCash
    Not on the Flyers, on the other 29 NHL teams. Plenty of them will want to take advantage of the ability to shed an unnecessary contract and save some money. Plenty of players will be targets for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elate View Post
    I highly doubt anyone on the Flyers, including Briere, is going to get bought out. That is a last resort option for a guy making seven million on your AHL team (Gomez, Redden). Do not bank of the buyout.
    Never say never. While Bryz has really shown us a lot lately and is looking like the goalie we paid him to be, Briere is another story. In Briere's last year Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Read, and Meszaros will all need new contracts, and the post-season is the last chance teams get to use the buy-out. Not to mention that Briere will only be making 2 million on a 6.5 million cap hit, so the Flyers will only have to pay him 1.4 million.

vCash
    Briere will get bought out 2 summers from now. They need to resign Schenn, Giroux, Read and Couturier that summer

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    Briere will get bought out 2 summers from now. They need to resign Schenn, Giroux, Read and Couturier that summer
    Thank you for translating my post for the ADD readers.

vCash
    The Flyers need a legitimate number 1 d man.

vCash
    I'm all for everything that was mentioned. Unfortunatley Sykora just signed a contract in Europe with the SC Bern I think yesterday, so I'm thinkin that's a no, especially since I heard he was fielding a few offers from NHL teams already. My guess is it's either a conditioning move or he's finally had it with the NHL. It's a shame if he is because he can still compete.

vCash
    I don't know....this amnesty buy out this summer offers us a unique opportunity to re-tool the team. The fact that Briere's actual salary is not even 1/3 of his cap hit makes him an ideal candidate to get bought out. I know all the love for Danny and his playoff performance and yadda yadda.........but the test is this........Given the last 5 years on his body of work would you give Briere a 6.5 million contract to play for the next 2 years here? .....I'd like to think that as much as we like the guy that would be a NO. The same situation for Bryz....sure he can prove he's a good goaltender this year.....but again, do you really want to risk the next SIX years of being locked into his cap hit regardless of WHAT he does? Maybe he can play goal, but the fact he's nuttier than a squirrel turd makes that a risky venture...........

Buyout Briere, Buyout Bryz and Kimo's contract expires at the end of this year...............that's 18 MILLION in cap space to spend.....You can do a lot with that. Granted some of that will get burned up with raises to other players, but spend that remainder wisely and you can pick up a bona fide stud of a player......

vCash
    I think the Flyers should just stay the course and play the young guys like Mcginn to deal with the injuries. As much as I hate to say it I don't think this team should be aiming to win the cup this year. When teams are constantly in "win now" mode that is when they make mistakes and trade important young players. They should keep the young core of this team together and over the next few years wait for opportunities to add the final pieces of the puzzle. Draft some young defenseman, if a stud dman comes along in the next few years than by all means make a run at him. I want this team to try and build up a strong defense through the draft. There isn't a huge rush, this team has a very long window to put together a championship team

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    If they do buy out Bryz I hope they make a run at Thomas Greiss

City of Brotherly Love

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast