Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    How come you only quoted certain years?

What about, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2011?

No, he lost it 3 times.
    Because they were obviously bad those years. Anything better than 15th is an above average pen. It just further explains how pens are crapshoots, because the performance is so volatile from season to season.

Find me a link where he lost it 3 times, because one year he was filling in the closer's role for injured CJ Wilson.

vCash
    Lack of depth? whose fault is that?

Easiest position to acquire?

Then how come they best they could come up with last year was Torres, and this year the best OF'er they have acquired is Marlon Byrd?

The Mets have done a great job of stacking themselves with AAAA players, that's about it.
    They didn't have pieces in prior years to acquire OFs like the Braves just did with Upton.

If they had more serious depth (which Sandy is building) they wouldn't have had to deal a Wheeler for Upton for example. The Braves gave up a potential #3 SP in Delgado and Prado as the main pieces in that deal, that's why depth is important.

More OFs will be available during the next two seasons (13' and 14') that they can acquire through trade and FA in 14'.

What's so hard to understand here? The Mets are looking to build depth similar to teams like the Cardinals, Rangers, Rays, etc etc to secure longer term tenability and success.

Lack of depth doesn't take one year or two years to fix especially when you had a previous GM who traded away depth (and potential 1st round picks) for sometimes misguided instant gratification.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.

vCash
    What single player is going to make us contenders in 2014?
    Never said there was one single player, but we will have more money freed up in 2014. We will have a better idea of our younger players development and will be able to make some signings that will certainly help be better than 2013.

vCash
    If we could snag Bourn, Lyon, and Valverde I would like our chances to get 85-90 wins.

Santana
    Harvey
    Niese
    Marcum
    Gee

Valverde
    Lyon
    Parnell
    Francisco
    Edgin
    Atchison, Hawkins, Feliciano, Carson, Mejia, Familia, Hefner, etc

C- D'Arnaud/Buck
    1B- Davis
    2B- Murphy
    3B- Wright
    SS- Tejada
    RF- Duda/Baxter/Cowgill/Nieuwenhuis/Byrd
    CF- Bourn
    LF- Duda/Baxter/Cowgill/Nieuwenhuis/Byrd

Duda/Baxter/Cowgill/Niewenhuis/Byrd
    Turner
    Buck/D'Arnaud
    ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    That's not realistic at all.

vCash
    I have no interest in what he has to say on anything. It's pretty funny that it seems he's still replying to me and I'm not reading a thing he posts. Bit obsessive if you ask me.
    You have no interest in truth?
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    That's not realistic at all.
    But it's realistic that say we're going to win 85-90 in 2014?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    Never said there was one single player, but we will have more money freed up in 2014. We will have a better idea of our younger players development and will be able to make some signings that will certainly help be better than 2013.
    We know where our holes are. They're in the OF, 3 of them. If the kids we're counting on don't pan out, then we're totally boned anyway, so why not presume that MH, TDA, Wheeler will be fine, and start winning some games for a change?

vCash
    But it's realistic that say we're going to win 85-90 in 2014?
    Depends on what moves they make. I'm expecting incremental improvements by season.

vCash
    "I don't know how anyone can predict something like RBI or wins and losses for pitchers. Those stats are out of the players control for the most part which is why those stats hold little to no weight these days."

Its called 'projecting'. Marcum averages 13-9 3.70 over the last six years...it is reasonable to project a similar record in year 7 if healthy. Niese has emerged as a 13-16 game winner....Santana if healthy and Harvey if steady should produce similar results. And nowhere am I predicting a 20 win season from any of them---I figured Dickey was good for 15-16 wins last year....career years are the only thing folks should not try to 'predict'. Same thing for Wright and Davis...past performance suggests they will combine for 50 HR and 200 RBIs...Buck in 400 ABs has gone 16 60 .270 over the course of a few seasons [cannot fathom how he went from .280 to .196 suddenly---he is hard to 'project']. The goal should be 90+ wins any way they can get them but a team that scores 700+ runs with an ERA under 3.80 is usually a contender....and those stats are achievable if we add a Bourn and a Valverde type to this roster. Going from 74 wins to 88+ means you don't have 22 starts from fringy guys who go 3-13 6.50 and six bullpeners who combined to go 6-17 6.30 like they hd last year. 9-30 6.45 from a bunch that is mostly gone from the roster. Turn that 2 through 7 guys in the pen into a .500 record of 20-19 3.85 and you're at 85 wins or better.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    Exactly, but you have to start somewhere. Putting a poor team out there is only going to impact spending negatively in 2014. If they lose money again, which seems likely, are the Coupons going to put extra dough in?

I don't think so. Fredo has already said payroll will be driven by revenue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    If we could snag Bourn, Lyon, and Valverde I would like our chances to get 85-90 wins.

Santana
    Harvey
    Niese
    Marcum
    Gee

Valverde
    Lyon
    Parnell
    Francisco
    Edgin
    Atchison, Hawkins, Feliciano, Carson, Mejia, Familia, Hefner, etc

C- D'Arnaud/Buck
    1B- Davis
    2B- Murphy
    3B- Wright
    SS- Tejada
    RF- Duda/Baxter/Cowgill/Nieuwenhuis/Byrd
    CF- Bourn
    LF- Duda/Baxter/Cowgill/Nieuwenhuis/Byrd

Duda/Baxter/Cowgill/Niewenhuis/Byrd
    Turner
    Buck/D'Arnaud
    ???
    I like it...no gaping holes, enough quality talent and enough depth to overcome an ordinary level of injuries. The only question is what the outfield platoons would yield---certainly an improvement over Bay and Torres. Wheeler available in a few months and whichever kids don't make the team in ST honing their skills and ready as needed as the season progresses. When Pelfrey went down three games into the season we had CYoung to step in and perform adequately. When Santana went down Harvey came up but when Gee went down unexpectedly we had no 8th option outside of Hefner, Batista, Schwinden, Stinson and a bunch of other AAAA pitchers to start 22 games....that's when the collapse began. If we have Valverde, Parnell, Francisco, Hawkins, Feliciano and/or Byrdak, Atchinson we have the luxury of picking the best from Edgin, Carson, Mejia and Familia with the rest pitching regularly at Las Vegas.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

13. 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM
    Reason
    Please stop this now!

14. 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM
    Reason
    Please stop this now!

vCash
    Exactly, but you have to start somewhere. Putting a poor team out there is only going to impact spending negatively in 2014. If they lose money again, which seems likely, are the Coupons going to put extra dough in?

I don't think so. Fredo has already said payroll will be driven by revenue.

And by start somewhere you mean give an older FA a pretty sizable contract, especially for a team going through financial woes like the Mets? Look, after the Jason Bay fiasco, the last thing this team needs is a bust of a FA playing outfield everyday. I'm confident that someone on our squad will rise to the top and will proof themselves as a legit everyday player. And in 2014, if we feel we can contend, then you go after a bat. Just my two cents.

16. 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
    Reason
    Please stop this now!

17. 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
    Reason
    Please stop this now!

18. 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM
    Reason
    Please stop this now!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678