Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Grew up with TFC, starcraft, Diablo, Quake 1&2 and some saga games. In 04 started playing CS1.6 and quickly moved to source.

Now my fav games are for
    PC: CS source, TF2, L4D2, CODMW 2&3.
    PS3: TEKKEN GAMES, MADDEN GAMES. The move games are also fun.

I have been thinking about getting starcraft 2 I just have to decide if I have enough time in my life which I don't think I do.
    Why not switch to CS:GO?

I played 1.2 through 1.6 and disliked Source but picked it back up with GO since it is so much like 1.6

vCash
    double post
    Last edited by 1-800-STFU; 01-28-2013 at 06:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous916 View Post
    Who else used to get blisters on their fingers from N-64, because they played too long?
    NFL Blitz on 64 used to mess me up for days. The N64 joystick was brutal, those ridges on top were perfect for making giant blisters in a matter of minutes

vCash
    Personally I have to go with old school systems, mainly NES and SNES. I still remember getting my NES in 89 for my birthday, that was a bigger deal to me than getting my first bike without training wheels. I still have that same NES and it still works, which is a lot more than I can say for my playstation 1, playstation 2, xbox 360, and my first 2 playstation 3's. My SNES that I got in 93 also works perfectly fine, as do all of my games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    Why not switch to CS:GO?

I played 1.2 through 1.6 and disliked Source but picked it back up with GO since it is so much like 1.6
    I bought GO... Just dont like it...

I guess the main reason is there are 2 main servers I play on and I know everyone on there and some I know on a more personal level. So I think the social factor plays alot into it. You just dont get that in COD's games and others. Thats probably why CS has remained so popular.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post
    NFL Blitz on 64 used to mess me up for days. The N64 joystick was brutal, those ridges on top were perfect for making giant blisters in a matter of minutes
    Haha the same thing happend to me lol

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    I bought GO... Just dont like it...

I guess the main reason is there are 2 main servers I play on and I know everyone on there and some I know on a more personal level. So I think the social factor plays alot into it. You just dont get that in COD's games and others. Thats probably why CS has remained so popular.
    I have my favorite server as well I play on so I get ya.

vCash
    the correct answer is ps2

vCash
    Thats tough. I have favorite games from every generation. From Zombies Ate My Neighbors to SSX3, all the way up to MGS4. Playing Zelda and Mario on the SNES? Streets of Rage and Sonic on the Genesis?? Those were the days..

I mean, technically games are a lot better now, but can you really beat Pokemon Red, or even Tetris? CAN TETRIS REALLY BE BEAT? Is Demon's Souls the perfect game ever, by definition making this the perfect generation? These are all questions better left to men in ties.

vCash
    I dont disagree, but I find these games more built the foundation for future games. Newer games aren't as innovative because all the great new ideas have largely been taken. This leaves devs forced to build upon past successes. So while the games are more polished they just dont feel as exciting due to the drought of new IPs.

Now that big businesses have entered the picture they wat to minimize risk...the easiest way to do that is using existing material that people will recognize even if it's a totally different game (see DmC reboot)
    People took the time to make DmC look brilliant on LED televisions and you are PISSED.

vCash
    The biggest negative about the current gen is how xboxlive killed the community feel of online games. Never again will I ever experience a game like Socom 2/3 again.

True MVP 49ers 2012

vCash
    I've heard arguments that the games of yesteryear are superior to today's games. Most of those center around creativity in design, difficulty, game length.

On the other side people laud modern series for their accessibility, technical achievements, and evolution in storytelling.

Which side of the coin to you lie?

I personally find it to be genre specific. The FPS's of old are just not as good when compared to today's due to controls, fluidity of gameplay, and variety in gameplay (I'm talking more on the PC front with games like Natural Selection 2, CS:GO, and Chivalry: Medevil Warefare which is technically a MOD of an FPS...).

While I have yet to find a current-gen single player RPG(Outside of potentially Ni No Kuni) measure up with the likes of Xenogears, Grandia, Morrowwind, FF7, Persona 3+4(technically they are last-gen), SMT: Nocturne, and the original Deus Ex amongst others. Not a fan of Nintendo IP's so I cant comment on those much.

When phase of gaming do you appreciate more? As someone whose played in all 3 I find myself often enjoying modern games over past ones, however all of my favorite games mostly lie within Last Gen.

I find whatever you were exposed to as a child you favor most. People who grew up with Mario games favor Nintendo, people who grew up with Starcraft or CS 1.6 favor PC gaming. I grew up primarily with single player RPGs so I favor those although I love CS:GO and other genres such as fighting/driving games...

I say I prefer last gen...

Thoughts?
    I'm still perplexed about how many online FPS get it wrong. So often the netcode is bloated and unstable, CS, Quake and UT did this pretty well 10+ years ago. Today I often feel like somethings off even in big titles like BF3.

On the RPG front I think Mass Effect, Fallout and The Witcher 2 can compete with all prior wRPGs.

What troubles me with this generation is, that seemingly everything converges into a TPS/FPS or Hack and slash, with some stuff attached to it. It mostly applies to big budget titles. On the other hand through XBLA/PSN/Steam, there are many interesting smaller games that do stuff differently. There are some real Adventure games (although that genre had a steady supply of games especially in Europe over the past years.) and some off shoots like the Walking Dead.

It's hard to say really nostalgia would probably say the late 90's were the best, but I think there are some outstanding games and IP's in every generation. The only thing I really can't go back to are early PS one games and the like. The graphics are just to offensive for the eye. Early 3D graphics just didn't age well, combine that with a horrible resolution and you're in for eye cancer.

I think it's normal to look back at classics and think that it was so much better back then. But many of those old games weren't just difficult, they were frustrating and often just unfair. Older Adventures had the nasty habit of not checking, that the player has every item he needs to advance, you missed something on the 3rd Screen and 3/4 through the game you were stuck. Yeah that were the fun times .

Gaming is big money now so, the game has changed Triple AAA titles have to appeal to a broad audience and it seems that most people like to shoot stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    I'm still perplexed about how many online FPS get it wrong. So often the netcode is bloated and unstable, CS, Quake and UT did this pretty well 10+ years ago. Today I often feel like somethings off even in big titles like BF3.

On the RPG front I think Mass Effect, Fallout and The Witcher 2 can compete with all prior wRPGs.

What troubles me with this generation is, that seemingly everything converges into a TPS/FPS or Hack and slash, with some stuff attached to it. It mostly applies to big budget titles. On the other hand through XBLA/PSN/Steam, there are many interesting smaller games that do stuff differently. There are some real Adventure games (although that genre had a steady supply of games especially in Europe over the past years.) and some off shoots like the Walking Dead.

It's hard to say really nostalgia would probably say the late 90's were the best, but I think there are some outstanding games and IP's in every generation. The only thing I really can't go back to are early PS one games and the like. The graphics are just to offensive for the eye. Early 3D graphics just didn't age well, combine that with a horrible resolution and you're in for eye cancer.

I think it's normal to look back at classics and think that it was so much better back then. But many of those old games weren't just difficult, they were frustrating and often just unfair. Older Adventures had the nasty habit of not checking, that the player has every item he needs to advance, you missed something on the 3rd Screen and 3/4 through the game you were stuck. Yeah that were the fun times .

Gaming is big money now so, the game has changed Triple AAA titles have to appeal to a broad audience and it seems that most people like to shoot stuff.
    Maybe it's the graphics?? I agree, especially in fighting games. A second delay in fighting games makes them completely unplayable....yet many fighting games have **** netcode. I really like the competitive aspect of them but network limitations deter me from getting into them seriously.

Agreed on Witcher 2.

Yep. RPG's have turned into action/shooting games with RPG elements. No game does turn based combat anymore out of a VERY select few. I understand it's outdated to an extent, but it still can be innovated upon as I have seen of recent games I've played.

I dont mind the graphics too much when I do go back and play older games. I can play a game from 1999 (Monster Rancher 2) and still enjoy it. Early 3D was TRASH though. I remember the 3DX or whatever it was called that had Virtua Fighter on it. Dear god....

Agreed(again). Most were designed to be quarter munchers to max profit. The babbys first videogame levels of difficulty (I'm looking at you Assassins Creed) still really turn me off, and when games try to be "hardcore" and put in a harder difficulty it's usually just doubling the HP of the same guys you just fought(Skyrim is a culprit of this). Then I play games like Dark Souls, CS:GO(when playing against legit people), P4 Golden on very hard, and Starcraft 2(again, when playing against someone good), various fighting games online, and I realize those same games ARE out there, just gotta look a bit harder.
    Last edited by 1-800-STFU; 01-29-2013 at 11:04 AM.

vCash
    I mostly play games from two genres: Sports and RPGs. Most of my favorite RPGs -- the ones with the most replay value, IMO -- are from the retro systems. The sports games benefit a lot more from the technological advancements (graphics, controls, etc). If I still played as many sports games as I did in my youth, I think that I would definitely vote for new ones, except for Tecmo Super Bowl. That game still rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir13579 View Post
    People took the time to make DmC look brilliant on LED televisions and you are PISSED.
    Oh you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast