Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Retro(Before PS2/DC), Last Gen(DC,PS2,Xbox, Gamecube), or New(360, PS3, Wii)?

I've heard arguments that the games of yesteryear are superior to today's games. Most of those center around creativity in design, difficulty, game length.

On the other side people laud modern series for their accessibility, technical achievements, and evolution in storytelling.

Which side of the coin to you lie?

I personally find it to be genre specific. The FPS's of old are just not as good when compared to today's due to controls, fluidity of gameplay, and variety in gameplay (I'm talking more on the PC front with games like Natural Selection 2, CS:GO, and Chivalry: Medevil Warefare which is technically a MOD of an FPS...).

While I have yet to find a current-gen single player RPG(Outside of potentially Ni No Kuni) measure up with the likes of Xenogears, Grandia, Morrowwind, FF7, Persona 3+4(technically they are last-gen), SMT: Nocturne, and the original Deus Ex amongst others. Not a fan of Nintendo IP's so I cant comment on those much.

When phase of gaming do you appreciate more? As someone whose played in all 3 I find myself often enjoying modern games over past ones, however all of my favorite games mostly lie within Last Gen.

I find whatever you were exposed to as a child you favor most. People who grew up with Mario games favor Nintendo, people who grew up with Starcraft or CS 1.6 favor PC gaming. I grew up primarily with single player RPGs so I favor those although I love CS:GO and other genres such as fighting/driving games...

I say I prefer last gen...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by 1-800-STFU; 01-28-2013 at 10:48 AM.

vCash
    Hard question. I really liked this gen as it was the first gen I was buying myself games with the money I made. The first time I saw a PS3 game I found the same sense of "wow" that I had with the original Playstation. I think the gen lasted a little too long, but this was definitely my favorite gen. Some very good single player games/stories this gen if you count all of the great handheld games.

vCash
    This is tough, there are so many good games for each gen so its hard to pick just one "gen" But if i had to pick one i would have to go with Retro. Ill try and name a few:

PS: FF7, FF8, Xenogears,

N64: LOZ (OOT and MM), Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Starfox 64

SNES: Chrono Trigger, LOZ :LTTP, Final Fantasy 3, Megaman X, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG

Gameboy: Pokemon (nuff said)

Im sure i could name more, but some of these games are still considered some of the best EVER made. Dont get me wrong i liked a lot of the PS2 stuff and the new gen stuff. But for me i will always be a retro guy when it comes to games.

props to VCU for the sig!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagocubsfan View Post
    Hard question. I really liked this gen as it was the first gen I was buying myself games with the money I made. The first time I saw a PS3 game I found the same sense of "wow" that I had with the original Playstation. I think the gen lasted a little too long, but this was definitely my favorite gen. Some very good single player games/stories this gen if you count all of the great handheld games.
    I find this true just because more games seem to focus on the story as a main selling point rather as an inclusion out on necessity. I personally think it has lead to a stagnation in gameplay and graphic design on many levels. Mostly the graphics part is due to the hardware limitations of the 360...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    This is tough, there are so many good games for each gen so its hard to pick just one "gen" But if i had to pick one i would have to go with Retro. Ill try and name a few:

PS: FF7, FF8, Xenogears,

N64: LOZ (OOT and MM), Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Starfox 64

SNES: Chrono Trigger, LOZ :LTTP, Final Fantasy 3, Megaman X, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG

Gameboy: Pokemon (nuff said)

Im sure i could name more, but some of these games are still considered some of the best EVER made. Dont get me wrong i liked a lot of the PS2 stuff and the new gen stuff. But for me i will always be a retro guy when it comes to games.
    I dont disagree, but I find these games more built the foundation for future games. Newer games aren't as innovative because all the great new ideas have largely been taken. This leaves devs forced to build upon past successes. So while the games are more polished they just dont feel as exciting due to the drought of new IPs.

Now that big businesses have entered the picture they wat to minimize risk...the easiest way to do that is using existing material that people will recognize even if it's a totally different game (see DmC reboot)
    Last edited by 1-800-STFU; 01-28-2013 at 11:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    I dont disagree, but I find these games more built the foundation for future games. Newer games are as innovative because all the great new ideas have largely been taken. This leaves devs forced to build upon past successes. So while the games are more polished they just dont feel as exciting due to the drought of new IPs.

Now that big businesses have entered the picture they wat to minimize risk...the easiest way to do that is using existing material that people will recognize even if it's a totally different game (see DmC reboot)
    I agree one hundred percent with you. I think a lot of my opinion is probably based on i did most of my gaming on the earlier systems growing up.

PS I flipping love the DMC reboot

vCash
    Nostalgia plays a huge role in it for sure.
    I love Super Nintendo, N64 and PS2..but Xbox 360 is better, technically.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    I've always thought old school games have been superior in everything except functionality & graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    You can't spell Worley without W.

vCash
    Who else used to get blisters on their fingers from N-64, because they played too long?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous916 View Post
    Who else used to get blisters on their fingers from N-64, because they played too long?
    This guy. Super smash Bro for days on end will do that to a guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous916 View Post
    This happened to me playing Clayfighter 63 1/3 and Dark Rift.

Man I loved mediocre to ****** fighting games when I was younger

vCash
    After sleeping over at a friends, I'd come back home on a Sunday morning sleep deprived & dirty, but none of that mattered because I could sleep well knowing how I triumphed over my friends (without using cheap *** "Kirby")

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    This happened to me playing Clayfighter 63 1/3 and Dark Rift.

Man I loved mediocre to ****** fighting games when I was younger
    I loved this game & Primal Rage haha.

I'll always remember the witch doctor guy doing a chicken attack & yelling "Cluck You", thought it was the funniest thing on earth.... humor of a 8 year old.

vCash
    If you never played Cool Spot you ****ed up.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Grew up with TFC, starcraft, Diablo, Quake 1&2 and some saga games. In 04 started playing CS1.6 and quickly moved to source.

Now my fav games are for
    PC: CS source, TF2, L4D2, CODMW 2&3.
    PS3: TEKKEN GAMES, MADDEN GAMES. The move games are also fun.

I have been thinking about getting starcraft 2 I just have to decide if I have enough time in my life which I don't think I do.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast