Roberto Luongo...Jonathan Quick

2...GPI...4
    2.45...GAA...3.00
    .909...SV%....904
    0...SO...0

GAME PREVIEW
    CANUCKS (2-2-1) at KINGS (1-2-1)

TV: TSN, FS-W

Season series: This is the first of three meetings between the teams. They split a four-game season series in 2011-12.

Big story: The defending Stanley Cup champs enter Monday’s action seven points behind the San Jose Sharks in the Pacific Division. Furthermore, the Kings – who have one win in four tries -- have scored only eight goals.

Team scope:

Canucks: Vancouver was no match for the red-hot Sharks on Sunday night, as San Jose cruised past the Canucks by a 5-1 score at HP Pavilion. Alexandre Burrows had the lone goal for Vancouver, which allowed two goals in the first 3:26 of the contest.

"Power play wasn't as good," Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said of his club’s man advantage, which went 0-for-7 Sunday night. "We were unable to score. A couple of unforced errors that ended up right on their tape and in the back of the net."

Kings: After getting off to an 0-2-1 start, Los Angeles finally earned its first win of the season Saturday night with a 4-2 victory at Phoenix. Anze Kopitar scored twice for the Kings, who won for the first time since hoisting the Stanley Cup last June.

"No one in here thought we were going to go 0-48, but when you lose the first three you sure don't want to let things get away," forward Justin Williams said. "It's been seven months and things don't come back at the snap of a finger. But it was time to win a game and get a little pressure off."

Who’s hot: Daniel Sedin leads the Canucks with six points (two goals, four assists) through the club’s first five games. … Kings forward Kyle Clifford has a goal and four assists in four contests.

Injury report: Vancouver is still without center Ryan Kesler, who's recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, and forward David Booth (groin). … Kings defenseman Matt Greene, who underwent back surgery on Thursday, has been placed on injured reserve by the Kings and is expected to miss the remainder of the season. Fellow blueliner Willie Mitchell (knee surgery) is practicing and is close to returning.
    ---------------------------------

PREDICTIONS:

Winner:

Final score:

GWG Scored in:

First Star:

GUESTS SIGN UP HERE!!!
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    2-1 after 2. Luongo doing pretty well. Kassian/Burrows for Van. Carter for LA.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Kassian is looking good.

vCash
    Kings tied it with 40 seconds. Canucks finally pay for playing a whole period of prevent defense.

<3

vCash
    Carter scores only shootout goal. Canucks choked away a valuable point.... another 2-0 lead blown.

<3

vCash
    Including playoffs, Canucks have 2 regulation wins in last 11 games. #notgoodenough
    https://twitter.com/ElliottPap/statu...43114723262465

Canucks have blown 3 2-0 leads.... half of our games we've had a 2-0 lead and haven't won 1 in regulation.

Tanev/Kassian/Luongo played well but no one else did ****. Defense is ****, except Tanev.

<3

vCash
    Another tough loss, I watched the first 2 periods an figured we had it won.

vCash
    I said to my wife half way through they would lose. The team literally looked liked they were at the end of a marathon. Burrows looked like he was gonna fall over. Just no gas in the tank and they deserved to lose. Luongo was stellar though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady66 View Post
    Another tough loss, I watched the first 2 periods an figured we had it won.
    Disappointing, Canucks had another 2 goal lead and let it slip away. Can't fault Lu in this game, he made some huge saves, and that 2nd LA goal, it looked like Lu was screened by Edler. Man, Edler's made some big mistakes resulting in goals against. In fact the defense has been bad this year. I have liked Tanev as well, and Hamhuis has played fairly well. Garrison has been awful and I've been wondering "why was everyone so high on this guy"? Maybe he's still finding his game or whatever, but he better find it quick.

Anyone else have this feeling that trading Lu could be a mistake the Canucks will regret? I haven't really liked Schneids this year, he's looked shaky. I think Gillis may be hesitant as well letting Lu go, he may realize that the Canucks might need him. One thing I noticed as well: LA players were crashing into Lu, happened a couple of times. Or maybe more accurate, LA players were pushed into Lu, him falling back. And NO Canuck players came to his defense. They just stood there or skated away. Why don't the Canuck players stand up for their goalies? If that was Tim Thomas in Boston, you can guarantee that the Bruins players would be all over who made contact with their goalie.

The offense has been okay: Burrows, Kassian, Raymond, Schroeder, Hansen, the Sedins, and even Higgins had some chances. But this team has trouble scoring goals. Too much passing?

And now the shootout. What was Burrows trying to do?! That was the most ridiculous attempt at a shootout I've ever seen. Epic fail. Embarrassing. I thought for sure he'd go with his usual backhand top-shelf move. And then there's Edler again. Why does AV even choose him as a shooter? I don't see a whole lot of stick handling and skill put into his shots. Why not put in Raymond or Schroeder or Higgins or Hansen? I don't get it. The Canucks have skilled players who would do well in the shootout, but AV sticks with the D-man who had a bad game.

vCash
    ^ Good post. I disagree with the common belief that the Canucks have skilled players though and that's probably why you don't see good results in the shootout. The shootout doesn't just expose Luongo, it also exposes a lack of offensive skills in our forwards. Having to resort to a D-man who has a bad game shows just how thin the forward corps are in terms of talent. Quick, name a forward who has unstoppable skills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    ^ Good post. I disagree with the common belief that the Canucks have skilled players though and that's probably why you don't see good results in the shootout. The shootout doesn't just expose Luongo, it also exposes a lack of offensive skills in our forwards. Having to resort to a D-man who has a bad game shows just how thin the forward corps are in terms of talent. Quick, name a forward who has unstoppable skills.
    Well, as great as the Sedins are, spectacular play-making/passing, creative etc - they aren't fast or gritty, and need eachother to be really effective. They aren't any good in the shootout either. I was really surprised by Burrows' move, it was almost comical and he came off looking pretty foolish. Especailly seeing as he's had some success with his backhand. I would say Raymond would be our best hope, he's played great so far this year. He is so fast, and his stick-handling has improved, he seems to have more confidence with the puck. But again, like with Burrows, the spin-o-rama is lame and shouldn't be attempted in the shootout. These guys need to think of new moves.

Any timetable for when Kesler and Booth get back? The Canucks could sure use that offense.

vCash
    Shootout should go: Burrows, Kassian, Schroeder, Raymond, Higgins, Edler.

<3