Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Matthew Slater

vCash

Matthew Slater

During my 5 minutes of viewing, I thought I saw Matthew Slater playing the slot in tonight's Pro Bowl ... and it took be by surprise. Long shot, but any chance he's a cost effective option should Welker leave?

He's perhaps more physical than WW, being hardened by special teams
    Good enough hands to return kicks (slots aren't required to have an enormous catch radius)
    Faster than WW and also has good agility
    Is still young at 27

Can he run sharp routes, get open and comprehend plays? I dunno. He failed in the Z.... I just found it interesting seeing the guy out there -- admittedly during garbage time -- getting those reps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    During my 5 minutes of viewing, I thought I saw Matthew Slater playing the slot in tonight's Pro Bowl ... and it took be by surprise. Long shot, but any chance he's a cost effective option should Welker leave?

He's perhaps more physical than WW, being hardened by special teams
    Good enough hands to return kicks (slots aren't required to have an enormous catch radius)
    Faster than WW and also has good agility
    Is still young at 27

Can he run sharp routes, get open and comprehend plays? I dunno. He failed in the Z.... I just found it interesting seeing the guy out there -- admittedly during garbage time -- getting those reps.

I think BB has already made this decision, based on his actions. They brought back an ancient deion branch back before giving Slater reps, they went with 2 receiver sets only before giving slater reps. He just doesn't view him as a viable receiver. I obviously don't know why, but the head honcho has pretty clearly decided Slater doesn't add value at receiver.

vCash
    Slater is pretty much everything you could ever ask for from a coach's perspective. He accepts his role, works hard, is a team leader, etc. There's a reason why he got a contract extension. But his intangibles don't make him a viable option at receiver. That just isn't what he's in the NFL to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    i didn't watch the game at all but i read the box score and sure enough slater had a catch on 2 targets,thats fun stuff.

vCash
    JJ Watt was playing Tight End too, which I thought was pretty cool

SOON

vCash
    The Pats have plays where it calls for Slater as a deep threat every once in a while. That being said, him getting more snaps would reduce his effectiveness on ST. He goes all out on ST because he knows that all he needs to do, but he would need to conserve himself if he was going to play on OFF and ST.
    -

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Slater is pretty much everything you could ever ask for from a coach's perspective. He accepts his role, works hard, is a team leader, etc. There's a reason why he got a contract extension. But his intangibles don't make him a viable option at receiver. That just isn't what he's in the NFL to do.
    The Patriots ran a few plays with MS at the X and Z, but I'd contend that's a more difficult position than the Y (e.g., I think it'd be easier to convert someone to slot than X or Z ). Slater could also provide better blocking, and he's no more or less qualified than Edelman IMO.

But this is idea-playing. If I were a betting man, I'd say the chances of Slater in the slot are slim.

vCash
    seeing the Probowl is a joke game, i wouldn't take much out of Slater looking good at WR.