0 0%
  • Jack Leathersich

1 4.55%
  • Robert Carson

0 0%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    ...and yet a guy like Toby Hyde ranked him #10 in his rankings after last year and had him as a mid rotation guy as well and while he mention him as a possible pen arm, he mentions how his power slider could be a plus pitch and he also had a splitter.

...and the only thing you count as not doing anything is his K rates because his FIP, BB rates and HR rates were pretty damn good.

BTW go look at a guy like Vance Worley and see what he did in AA and you will find a remarkable similarity to what Mazzoni did there this year, so there is a chance that Mazzoni does improve his K rates as he continues to mature as a pitcher and improve his other pitches and prove to be a starter and not just a pen arm.

...but I think the Mets untimely will move him to the pen this year because they need help there badly.
    He was #10 on his list due to draft hype(2nd round) and looking good in relief.

K rates are extremely important in the minors. If you can't miss bats in the minors, you aren't going to miss them in the majors, and they will make you pay. Mazzoni's FIP was good in St. Lucie, but I bet his xFIP wasn't, and he gave up more HR in AA anyway.

Vance Worley has a great two-seamer that he is able to get called strikes with, Mazzoni's fastball is straight.

vCash
    ...so if that was the case then why was he ranked higher than Fulmer? who was a higher pick and had more hype?

...and AA is a more hitter friendly park than high A, so yeah guys will give up more homers there.

Vance Worley had worst K rates than Mazzoni had at AA.

vCash
    Also Mazzoni had a KS% of 83% at high A compare that to a guy like Leathersich who had a KS% of 62% at high A and you will see that Mazzoni actually gets most of his strike outs on swing and misses, even at AA he got a KS% of 77%. There is reason to believe that the main reason why he does not K as much batters as of now is because he stays around the zone too much and does not get many called last strikes. With a better idea of moving the ball around he should be able to strike more batters out as he did in college.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Mazzoni didn't even do anything in St. Lucie. He was very underwhelming.
    He was well above league average in ERA and FIP.

vCash
    Mazzoni was probably above league average in xFIP as well, in both leagues, though not by a lot.

http://statcorner.com/pitch.php?id=543508

His actual HR in St. Lucie were 3, and "expected" were 4.3. His actual in Binghamton were 9, and expected were 7.5. So his overall xFIP is going to be about the same as his FIP.

FIP xRA xRA+
    3.01 3.77 119 A+
    3.99 4.41 105 AA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    He was well above league average in ERA and FIP.
    He didn't dominate the way he should have. I tend to look at stuff over stats early on. Mazzoni is a flyball pitcher that doesn't miss enough bats with pitches.

vCash
    1. I voted for Lagares.

2. I would have voted for Goebbel and Mazzoni over DeGrom. People forget that Goebbel only pitched 100 IPs from 2007 to 2010 before being drafted. He blew out elbow in the middle of his HS senior season and pitches only 60 IPs his sophomore and junior seasons in college, so he was raw as well. Before his sr. season in HS he was projected as being 11-15 1st round pick. He has a better CB, SL and CU than DeGrom. His FB has better sink. He's still a year younger.

vCash
    Yeah, Goeddel is another guy I might put ahead of DeGrom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post
    1. I voted for Lagares.

2. I would have voted for Goebbel and Mazzoni over DeGrom. People forget that Goebbel only pitched 100 IPs from 2007 to 2010 before being drafted. He blew out elbow in the middle of his HS senior season and pitches only 60 IPs his sophomore and junior seasons in college, so he was raw as well. Before his sr. season in HS he was projected as being 11-15 1st round pick. He has a better CB, SL and CU than DeGrom. His FB has better sink. He's still a year younger.
    Goeddel is the most under-rated, and probably the best upside of the arms remaining. I think his results were hurt a bit by working with a full repertoire, which he hasn't had that much experience with. But he was really working on the secondaries, and made good progress there. I saw a fastball that can sit around 92 with good sink, and a change that should be MLB average. Breaking stuff could also be at least average, but he needs to command it better.

Degrom could sit at 93 mph for the first 4 innings, but he wasn't showing the variety of stuff to be a SP. He really wasn't changing speeds. It was mostly FB to arm side at 93, slider to glove side at 83. I only saw him once, but it looks like he could use a year with Phil Regan in St. Lucie.

The main doubts about Goddel here have to be that his command wasn't as good as Mazzoni or Pill, and his injury history might raise some concerns about whether he can throw enough innings to be a SP.

vCash
    Somebody needs to break the tie.

vCash
    Poll has been reopened to get a final result.

vCash
    Went with Degrom..

vCash
    **** yes democracy prevails!!!!!

vCash
    No, den Dekker got another vote smh.

vCash
    Didn't we trade Lagares?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast