• Wuilmer Becerra

0 0%
  • Jack Leathersich

1 4.55%
  • Robert Carson

0 0%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    He may very well be just that and so may DeGrom, but as of now DeGrom is a 24 y/o guy who has only pitched 21 innings in high A ball. I want to see more of what he did today to put him a head of a guy like Mazzoni specially since Mazzoni has better secondaries. DeGrom has a nasty fastball and again in a year if he does as well as he did in 2012, then he should be ahead and even in the top 10 Mets prospects, but right now? no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    He may very well be just that and so may DeGrom, but as of now DeGrom is a 24 y/o guy who has only pitched 21 innings in high A ball. I want to see more of what he did today to put him a head of a guy like Mazzoni specially since Mazzoni has better secondaries. DeGrom has a nasty fastball and again in a year if he does as well as he did in 2012, then he should be ahead and even in the top 10 Mets prospects, but right now? no.
    Mazzoni has more experience pitching than deGrom and his secondaries are nothing special really to off-set the FB difference. It's fair to say deGrom has more upside than Mazzoni and a similar downside.

vCash
    Regardless of experience, he is more advance period, hence why he is still ahead of DeGrom as of now.

vCash
    More advanced at giving up more hits and not being able to sustain velocity, sure. Mazzoni was an overdraft anyway, he was not a second round talent.

And you can't just say "regardless of experience," that definitely plays a factor. Had he not missed time with Tommy John, he probably would have been in the majors already.

vCash
    I think Degroms upside is significantly higher than Mazzoni. Mazzoni seems like a pretty low ceiling arm.

vCash
    It may have played a factor, but we do not know how much as of now. The point is that as of now Mazzoni is more advance, DeGrom may get better or he may not, but at this point in time he is not as advance as Mazzoni period.

....so when 2 guys have similar ceilings and similar floors, I will take the guy who is more advance regardless of how long he has been pitching, not to mention that that guy who is more advance is younger by a year and a half and playing 2 levels higher than the guy who is 24 years old.

...and where he was drafted means jack **** really.

vCash
    I like deGrom. Coming back from TJ this year, he hit the ground running and hasn't stopped. He's got the arsenal to move through the system quickly and the makeup to succeed in the big leagues. We've already ranked 4 of his rotation mates in St. Lucie ahead of him. I see an early call-up to Binghamton for him, and he might even get as far as AAA before the end of the season.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    I think Degroms upside is significantly higher than Mazzoni. Mazzoni seems like a pretty low ceiling arm.
    I agree. Toby's given some real encouraging reports on deGrom too. His stuff is legit and commands it well for someone with minimal pitching experience. Mazzoni has had issues with his velocity as a starter and his fastball is very straight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    It may have played a factor, but we do not know how much as of now. The point is that as of now Mazzoni is more advance, DeGrom may get better or he may not, but at this point in time he is not as advance as Mazzoni period.

....so when 2 guys have similar ceilings and similar floors, I will take the guy who is more advance regardless of how long he has been pitching, not to mention that that guy who is more advance is younger by a year and a half and playing 2 levels higher than the guy who is 24 years old.

...and where he was drafted means jack **** really.
    Similar floors, but not not ceilings. deGrom has a higher ceiling, thus he is the better prospect in my eyes.

vCash
    Lots of good choices here. Mazzoni made BA's top 10, and no big overdraft, he was in their top 150 on draft day in 2011. Robles ranked right alongside Nimmo in the NYPL list, and some observers (especially end of season) liked him better than Mateo. Degrom to my eye had better stuff and command than Mazzoni (including secondaries), and could come quickly in a pen role, but maybe needs more time and experience to develop more pitchability as a SP (one area Mazzoni is stronger). Puello still has the tools to be a solid starter (maybe even similar to Angel Pagan), and while he hasn't broken out yet, his performance hasn't been that lacking either (still a top 50 OPS in the FSL, of 164 players with over 140 PA). Aderlin I think could have a monster bat, I think his hit tool will be better than people yet realize. Tovar I already voted for last poll, for the reasons mentioned. And Ahmed Rosario is worth a mention, as the highest paid IFA last year.

vCash
    That's good to hear about deGrom, and I think the lack of pitchability is to be expected due to his lack of experience. Puello's stock is down pretty significantly in my eyes. A 3.7% BB rate in 2011 and a 2.8% BB rate in 2012 is not going to cut it.

I too like Aderlin, but I think he gets more attention just due to the fact that the Mets don't have a lot of impact bats in their system, especially those with power. If he limited to first base, he's going to have to mash.

I know people look at Tovar and think of Tejada, but people didn't een think Tejada would be an everyday guy, so I feel Tovar might be a long shot. Especially since he's got even less power and is smaller than Ruben.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He looks like a back-up until he proves he can hit consistently.
    They said the same about Tejada.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    They said the same about Tejada.
    But to expect Tovar to exceed all expectations is unrealistic, and Tejada isn't even all that himself.

vCash
    The difference is Tovar is a plus defender, where Tejada is average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    His plate discipline and hit tool are questionable and he's poor defensively. He'll likely move to 1B, where he'll need to mash to play everyday. He has the raw power to do it, but it's all projection for him right now.
    Yes, he's poor defensively, but he did hit 24 big flies last year at 20. His power is legit. And he walked 7% last year not outstanding but not dreadful either. He also struck out 20% of the time. Hi bat is not projection at all.

Now the question is, how will he do against advance pitching in AA?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast