Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    It's private industry. If you don't like dying in a fire, don't go to clubs that burn down. The invisible hand of the market at work. . .

Or maybe there should be regulations to try to control such things. As there are in the US, after 492 people died in a nightclub fire in Boston.
    I don't like dying in fires, but I like going to clubs. What should I do?!?!

Not sure what point you're making in the first paragraph. You saying it's these people's faults for going to a club...and that dying in a fire should have been something they thought about before going inside?

vCash
    Other nightclub fires

2009: Santika Club, Bangkok, Thailand - sparked by fireworks; 66 killed
    2009: Lame Horse Club, Perm, Russia - sparked by fireworks; 150 killed
    2004: Cromagnon Republic Club, Buenos Aires, Argentina - flare starts fire which kills 194
    2003: The Station, Rhode Island, US - sparked by fireworks; 100 killed
    2000: Luoyang dance hall fire, China - fire blamed on welders kills 309
    1996: Ozone Disco Club, Quezon City, Philippines - 160 killed
    1990: Happy Land, New York, US - arson kills 89 at unlicensed club
    1977: Beverly Hills Supper Club, Southgate, Kentucky - 165 killed
    1970: Club 5-7, Saint-Laurent-du-Pont, France - 146 killed;
    1942: Cocoanut Grove, Boston, US - 492 killed
    Nights clubs are pretty dangerous it seems...

vCash
    jesus christ
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    I remember the one in Argentina, that one was also really sad.

And it was so damn stupid, why the hell would someone light a firework inside a closed place?

It's been really depressing here. The owner of the club was arrested this morning, it seems their license had been expired since last year.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    I used to be a fire fighter before I went back to academic research and they trained us on the Rhode Island fire.

It was hard watching the video of people stacked up in the door way while people burned behind them. People always seem to try to get out the same way they got in despite windows and other exits all around.
    Last edited by Pacerlive; 01-28-2013 at 10:52 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    I don't like dying in fires, but I like going to clubs. What should I do?!?!

Not sure what point you're making in the first paragraph. You saying it's these people's faults for going to a club...and that dying in a fire should have been something they thought about before going inside?
    Just a little poke in the slats for our resident Libertarians.
    United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon called the bombing of the UN school, which was acting as a shelter, an "outrageous" act that could have no possible justification. “Nothing is more shameful than attacking sleeping children,” Ban said in his most harsh statements to date against Israeli action. Source.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerlive View Post
    I used to be a fire fighter before I went back to achedmic research and they trained us on the Rhode Island fire.

It was hard watching the video of people stacked up in the door way while people burned behind them. People always seem to try to get out the same way they got in despite windows and other exits all around.
    But there weren't any other exits in that nightclub. That's the problem. There was only one way out. The security guards didn't let anybody go out until they realised it was a fire and not a fight or just people trying to get out without paying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    But there weren't any other exits in that nightclub. That's the problem. There was only one way out. The security guards didn't let anybody go out until they realised it was a fire and not a fight or just people trying to get out without paying.
    FWIW if 2000 people were in the club when it started then they are lucky only 200 or so died. I am not trying to be cold harded here just that to even get 1800 out given the stupidity of the guards is a miracle. Hopefully they up the building codes (post exit signs now) and limit the firework shows which cause the majority of club fires IMO.

vCash
    FWIW if 2000 people were in the club when it started then they are lucky only 200 or so died. I am not trying to be cold harded here just that to even get 1800 out given the stupidity of the guards is a miracle. Hopefully they up the building codes (post exit signs now) and limit the firework shows which cause the majority of club fires IMO.
    If you want to look at human lives as numbers...maybe, but I still think a 12% or so loss of human life in an evacuation is terrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    If you want to look at human lives as numbers...maybe, but I still think a 12% or so loss of human life in an evacuation is terrible.
    It is terrible but considering the lack of codes and limit of exits it had the potential to be a lot worse. A lot of these fires can be prevented if people just stop using fireworks in closed buildings and had better building material/codes i.e. stop using ignitable foam for sound suppression which is what caused this fire and the Station fire.

vCash
    They're saying about 1200 people were inside the club. And yes, I agree, it's sad but true. I didn't know the place, obviously since it's a little far from my home, but I started to think about all the places we go to, and I can't remember seeing any emergency exit or something like that here. So yeah it could be a lot worse and it should be something to alert the authorities about those places. That's 230 lives gone, and the saddest part, every single one of them were young.

vCash
    I swear it's like every third thread in GD is about people dying. We live in a ****ed up world. RIP.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    And I thought that Rhode Island Night Club fire back in the day was bad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12