Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    STAT has played his *** off but the spacing is still terrible with the Melo-STAT-Tyson frontcourt. I say keep STAT exactly where he is. I don't think Melo gets that clear path to the bucket with STAT in the game instead of Novak. You could tell late when Woody subbed in Novak, the court opened up and it made it much more difficult to double Melo and flash defenders his way. Spero and Clyde mentioned it the second it happened. Pretty sure we couldn't get a clean look for 2 straight possessions until STAT got subbed out. One of them was Melo forcing a pass to STAT through traffic and turning it over (because there is no space to find angles with those 3 on the court).

I also saw with about 4 minutes left, Melo had a clean look at a contested fadeaway with 5 secs on the shot clock, he passed to STAT mid air and STAT had to force an extremely awkward attempt with 4-5 secs that turned into a turnover (dont remember if he traveled or lost it out of bounds). That is why STAT doesn't get the bailout shots and JR and Melo do. Because with STAT taking those rushed shots, theres no guarantee your even getting a shot off.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 01-28-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    STAT has played his *** off but the spacing is still terrible with the Melo-STAT-Tyson frontcourt. I say keep STAT exactly where he is.

Why don't we ever use Amare as a floor spacer? Before the injuries he was just as good if not a better range jump shooter then Sheed who we have no issue spacing the floor with. I don't think it is on Amare at this point. I think Woodson wants him to be an interior player. We will see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    STAT has played his *** off but the spacing is still terrible with the Melo-STAT-Tyson frontcourt. I say keep STAT exactly where he is. I don't think Melo gets that clear path to the bucket with STAT in the game instead of Novak. You could tell late when Woody subbed in Novak, the court opened up and it made it much more difficult to double Melo and flash defenders his way. Pretty sure we couldn't get a clean look for 2 straight possessions until STAT got subbed out. One of them was Melo forcing a pass to STAT through traffic and turning it over (because there is no space to find angles with those 3 on the court).

I also saw with about 4 minutes left, Melo had a clean look at a contested fadeaway with 5 secs on the shot clock, he passed to STAT mid air and STAT had to force an extremely awkward attempt with 4-5 secs that turned into a turnover (dont remember if he traveled or lost it out of bounds). That is why STAT doesn't get the bailout shots and JR and Melo do. Because with STAT taking those rushed shots, theres no guarantee your even getting a shot off.
    Melo should have shot the ball that play. I agree you don't want Stat having to put it on the floor or make some kid of move with the clock running. I do think if he can re-establish some mid range dominance you can give him the ball when he has room and his feet set so he can shoot it in someone's face but in any kind of scramble situation he really shouldn't be who you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Stat is playing great. I see him much more active defensively looking for bodies to box out when a shot goes up (something he NEVER DID before) and also not settling on jumpers. His work with Hakeem is so apparent offensively. Amare used to turn it over every time he put the ball on the floor whereas now, his moves are effective and they're paying off. I bet he wishes that he worked with Hakeem years ago.
    Last edited by Bivory; 01-28-2013 at 12:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankster View Post
    No, not really. In fact since Amar'e has returned, Melo has been actively looking for him whenever he gets double/triple teamed. The problem has been between Amar'e and Tyson. They clog up the inside way too much when they're both on the court at the same time. Stat needs to play out more in the perimeter if our big 3 wants to be productive out there.
    Good point, but if we keep him at the perimeter we cannot beat him up on rebounds (he rebounds at a better rate when Tyson is out).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Melo should have shot the ball that play. I agree you don't want Stat having to put it on the floor or make some kid of move with the clock running. I do think if he can re-establish some mid range dominance you can give him the ball when he has room and his feet set so he can shoot it in someone's face but in any kind of scramble situation he really shouldn't be who you are looking for
    Agreed, it was stupid to pass it in that situation, I just wanted to point out, that was a picture perfect example of why Melo and JR take the bail out shots.

I agree STAT can take a jumper late in the clock, but its tough to organize a catch and shoot curl screen mid-shot clock to set him up late-shot clock for that shot. Shots late in the clock are usually improvised after the offensive set comes up empty, thats why JR and Melo take them. STAT is clumsy when hes forced to improvise.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Until Shump is showing last year's agility, I say NO. Having STAT out on the 2nd unit requires some defensive compensation. I'd go as far to say if Woody inserted JR into the starting 5, then maybe. A lineup of Bulldog, Swish, Melo, STAT & Tyson would be a balance of inside/outside defense, and all-world offense.

If JR is chucking, then pull him quick. IMO, on the 2nd unit, he looks for his shot more because he's the most money with making his own shot. Put him in with Melo and STAT and he will dish more after penetrating. Plus he gets more 3pt looks w/ Felty driving and looking past his 1st and 2nd options.

Originally Posted by DoMeFavors
    In 30-40 years Nets will have the most championships in NBA history, you can quote me on it. Nobody has an owner like mine.

Originally Posted by DoMeFavors
    Fact is I would take Brook over Dwight, I wanted Dwight over Brook for this team because Nets have two 20 point scorers in JJ and Deron but if I was starting a team it would be Brook he is more of a franchise player.

vCash
    No. This is already working out fine, don't **** with it.

Born a Knick Live a Knick Die a Knick
    Knicks-Jets-Yanks-Chris Paul-St.Johns-Duke Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarvingKnick22 View Post
    No. This is already working out fine, don't **** with it.
    Whatever "it" was, stopped working out fine over a month ago since we started playing .500 ball. It's broke, now it's time to fix it.

vCash
    Yup. It's time to start Amare. Give him more minutes too.

vCash
    The whole "Melo at the 4 argument" to me is useless. He hasn't changed his game really that much at all from last year (well, maybe he's taking a higher clip of 3 point shots this year.) His shot is just falling in with more frequency, and this year when he passes out of a double team he has far better options than Landry Fields or Toney Douglas out there hanging out in the perimeter.

Carmelo and Kevin to me are the next evolution of basketball players in this league. Same with Lebron, although to me he's more versatile than the other 2 guys. Carmelo doesn't have a true position; he's a hybrid in every sense of the word. To me he causes a mismatch against anyone on the court, regardless of whose guarding him.I hate using cliche's, but Carmelo is essentially the only person that can contain himself (i.e. getting frustrated in-game) especially when he's feeling it from the perimeter. My point is Carmelo HAVING to start at the 4 is a pointless debate, it's not like the opposing 4 will ALWAYS be guarding him throughout the game and vice versa. It takes several different looks by several different opposing defenders throughout the game to slow Melo down.

Teams usually start with their best perimeter defender on Melo, when they recognize Melo can bully them down low or blow by them at will, they switch to bigger guys who face basically the same conundrum. The guy isn't playing that much differently than last year, he just has a much more balance and well-assembled roster around him that plays well into his talent/skillset.

Stoudemire and Tyson coexisting is where the problem truly lies. Stat has already exhibited a wide array of offensive moves in his return except his midrange shot. The guy used to have such an automatic midrange game for over a half decade, I believe the only Power Forward in the league with a better shot than his is Nowitzki. It's looked terrible since last season for whatever reason (health injuries, personal issues, etc.,) but if it does come back to form we should just play Melo and Stat on opposite elbows and give Felton the luxury of either working the PnR with TC, the PnR with Stat, the pick n pop with Stat or post play with Stat or Melo. That's 5 viable options Felton has when starting the game.

We need Stats production to start the game. Can't continue excavating ourselves in these deep holes and expect to comeback from possible double digit deficits. We've had 1st quarter scoring issues for over a month now, and putting that much burden on Melo to get 10+ points every 1st quarter is unfair. Really there's no question to me Amar'e should start, he'll feast on the majority of starting PF's in this league like he has the majority of his career. And now, the guys defense is exponentially better than it ever was, him just putting forth effort on a nightly basis on that side of the floor is still such a shock to me. Stat can really help relieve a lot of pressure that Melo has to deal with to start games off.
    Last edited by Dankster; 01-28-2013 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    ^^Sorry for the essay I wrote. I'm just starting to come to the realization that the excuses for why Stoudemire SHOULDN'T be starting are wearing thin. It doesn't matter if it's backup PF's or starting PF's he's dealing with, he's always been an offensive juggernaut and very efficient and feasts on opposing big men in general. He keeps playing with this type of effort defensively, I c don't see how he's not a much better option to start games off with than White, Copeland or Kurt Thomas.

And lastly, everyone always speaks about Novaks value on the floor because his defender has to stay on him at all times. How about a perennial All Star on the floor to start games off like Stat? I'd imagine it'll minimize the amount of times Melo gets doubled and triple teamed to start off games.

The excuses are running out of why Stat shouldn't start and very strong cases can be made of his importance for this team to get off to good starts to begin games. If he keeps playing with this defensive effort, and he gets his jumper back, he'll be an All Star again. Plain and simple.

vCash
    Patience is a virtue guys. Lets see more games with Amare off the bench...I think Coach and the rest of the Knick's concern for Amare to just be healthy throughout the rest of this season.

vCash
    I still think we need to keep stat on the bench beacuse i thinks its working well. i do think we need to to put copeland as the starting SF and melo the starting four. I want them to call up henry sims and give him some minutes with the second unit with amare,jr,kidd, and white.i think that would be a nice second unit if sims can handle the nba.

vCash
    Amare is little by little looking like the player he was 2 yrs ago and showing that he didn't have a steep decline... he just wasn't healthy last season...I'd still proceed with caution, although I would like to see his minutes near 30...

Melo was just in a shooting slump and missed Felton..he'll be fine..

Tyson missed Felton...he'll be fine

JR needs to let the game come to him like he did in the beginning...losing Felton he was asked to do more and also whenever Melo was out..I think that stuck with him mentally

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast