Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Ranking the Greatest Leafs Ever-Project Discussion

Based on the historical debate we've had in this forum before. I think its worth having a discussion about who the greatest Maple Leafs ever are. I can run it if you guys want.

The way I propose we do this, is we will go position by position and rank a certain amount (maybe 5 or 10) historically. I'll put up alot of options (no obvious case will be ignored) and we'll vote and discuss it. I think I was going to start with the goaltenders.
    Any other suggestions on how we should do it?

vCash
    Mike Kostka #1

/thread

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Jeff Ware #2

vCash
    Dion Phanuef #3?

vCash
    I don't mean to hijack your thread jrice but i honestly haven't seen some of the better leafs (Gilmour, Clark, etc.) and if i have seen them play i don't remember. I'll stop posting now lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    I don't mean to hijack your thread jrice but i honestly haven't seen some of the better leafs (Gilmour, Clark, etc.) and if i have seen them play i don't remember. I'll stop posting now lol
    I was going to go beyond players any of us have seen.

Some of the best Leafs are from before most if not all of us are born (Dave Keon, Sittler, Teeder Kennedy, Turk Broda, Johnny Bower etc)

vCash
    That's the problem with the thread...the majority of people have only seen Mats Favre play so the list would look something like this

Mats Favre
    Phil Kessel
    Dion Phaneuf
    Colton Orr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    That's the problem with the thread...the majority of people have only seen Mats Favre play so the list would look something like this

Mats Favre
    Phil Kessel
    Dion Phaneuf
    Colton Orr
    Leaving aside the fact that your denigrating Sundin which is pretty petty considering we're almost at the 5 year mark for a singular event in his career.

So what?

If you've only seen certian players you can't judge others based on their accomplishments?

How could anyone like the The Hockey News create a top 100 of all time list then.

EDIT: I just realized something. Gilmour faked retiring twice during his career, thats way more like Favre than anything Mats did (and his alleged sexual interaction with his daughter's 13 year old babysitter is more like Favre dick picture than anything else as well)

EDIT 2: I like Gilmour, I'm just pointing out if we want to go through every player's skeleton's they exist. We don't evaluate players for that.
    Last edited by jrice9; 01-27-2013 at 11:11 AM.

vCash
    The greatest Leaf ever is Wendel Clark

The fans have never loved anyone more then Wendel.

Best Leafs player is Keon pretty sure that nobody would argue that, followed by Bower, Horton, Sittler,Bjore, Mats, etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerguy2412 View Post
    The greatest Leaf ever is Wendel Clark

The fans have never loved anyone more then Wendel.

Best Leafs player is Keon pretty sure that nobody would argue that, followed by Bower, Horton, Sittler,Bjore, Mats, etc...
    I would argue with that.

I don't thnk Keon is the greatest player even of the modern (post 1960 era).

EDIT: Keon is a bit overrated (he's likely in my #2 or #3 spot of leaf forwards)
    Last edited by jrice9; 01-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.

vCash
    I would agree that the greatest Leaf ever is Wendel Clark

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I would agree that the greatest Leaf ever is Wendel Clark
    Wendel's not even in the top 5 or even 10 forwards on this team all time.

vCash
    Statistically Wendel Clark isn't in the conversation as greatest Leaf of all time. But poll the entire fan base and tell me what the answere is. It'd be him in a friggin landslide. Farvre wouldn't come close. Wendel Clark is a cult hero in this city. I didn't decide it, but it is what it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Statistically Wendel Clark isn't in the conversation as greatest Leaf of all time. But poll the entire fan base and tell me what the answere is. It'd be him in a friggin landslide. Farvre wouldn't come close. Wendel Clark is a cult hero in this city. I didn't decide it, but it is what it is.
    Popular support doesn't make it true. By your logic Tie Domi and Tiger Williams would be top 10. People can often be dumb.

Wendel Clark wasn't anything more than a very good player for the Leafs. He was incredibly injury prone as well (this was largely due to alot of his reckless play and fighting)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Wendel's not even in the top 5 or even 10 forwards on this team all time.
    It depends how you define greatest Leaf...are we talking pure stats or are we talking who the fans like the most. Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour are to me the greatest Leafs in my lifetime

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast