Cory Schneider...Antti Niemi

3...GPI...3
    2.78...GAA...2.33
    .913...SV%....927
    1...SO...0

GAME PREVIEW
    CANUCKS (2-1-1) at SHARKS (4-0-0)

TV: SNET-West; CSN-California

Season series: It's the first of three meetings this season, with two scheduled for the Shark Tank. Vancouver won three of four games last season, including both visits to San Jose.

Big story: Both teams are coming off shutout victories in which they were dominant. The Canucks will try to slow down the unbeaten Sharks, who've won all four of their games by two or more goals.

Team scope:

Canucks: Revenge is sweet, as the Canucks proved on Friday night. Six days after they were embarrassed by Anaheim in their season-opener at Rogers Arena, the Canucks returned the favor with a 5-0 victory at Anaheim, spoiling the Ducks' home opener.

"They came into our barn on our opening night and gave it to us pretty good," said forward Mason Raymond, who scored twice. "For us, I think we did a good job. I think we had something to prove. We wanted to get back to what we thought we could do."

Perhaps the best news for the Canucks was the play of goaltender Cory Schneider, who surrendered five goals on 14 shots to the Ducks on opening night but has bounced back with consecutive wins, including his fifth career shutout on Friday.

Sharks: It's hard to have a better first week than the Sharks, who've blitzed their first four opponent thanks to the dynamic duo of Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton. Marleau scored two goals in Saturday's 4-0 drubbing of Colorado to become the first player in 95 years to start the season with four straight two-goal games.

"I'll keep taking them if they keep coming that's for sure," he said. "I'm not going to get greedy, just take them as they come. Trying to do the same thing, work and go to the same areas. It's good that we're winning and things are going well right now."

Most of Marleau's goals, including the two on Saturday, have come on assists by captain Joe Thornton, who leads the NHL with nine helpers, one more than fellow Shark Joe Pavelski. Thornton and Marleau share the scoring lead with 11 points.

Who's hot: Daniel Sedin had a goal and an assist on Friday and has points in all four of the Canucks' games so far. … Antti Niemi is expected to start in goal for the Sharks after Thomas Greiss blanked Colorado on Saturday. Niemi has won all three of his starts.

Injury report: Vancouver is still without center Ryan Kesler, who's recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, and forward David Booth (groin). … San Jose has been thriving despite the absence of defensemen Brent Burns (lower body) and Jason Demers (wrist). Both are listed as day to day.
    ---------------------------------

PREDICTIONS:

Winner:

Final score:

GWG Scored in:

First Star:

GUESTS SIGN UP HERE!!!
    2014 Indianapolis Colts: Let's Hunt

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    This is a true test for the Canucks. We'll see what their mettle is tonight. I totally believe in Schneider. Rain in the forechecks. Go Kassian!

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Am I the only one having a hard time getting excited for this team?

vCash
    Our team played like horse ****. Edler/Garrison have gotten off to a horrible start... 2 brutal turnovers that led to goals. Powerplay was brutal... 0/6 including a 4 minute PP. Do we really miss Booth/Kesler this much?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    Am I the only one having a hard time getting excited for this team?
    I really struggled to watch this game. For me the thing that is making it hard to watch the team is that they are stale and have been locked in stall mode for at least a season and a half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Our team played like horse ****. Edler/Garrison have gotten off to a horrible start... 2 brutal turnovers that led to goals. Powerplay was brutal... 0/6 including a 4 minute PP. Do we really miss Booth/Kesler this much?
    I know a lot of people are going to say that it's because we miss Booth and Kesler but they'll forget that this team was the same all the way down the stretch last year WITH Booth and Kesler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I know a lot of people are going to say that it's because we miss Booth and Kesler but they'll forget that this team was the same all the way down the stretch last year WITH Booth and Kesler.
    Booth/Kesler certainly make this team better though. Who knows what would have happened last year if Daniel didn't get that concussion.

<3

vCash
    Booth/Kesler certainly make this team better though. Who knows what would have happened last year if Daniel didn't get that concussion.
    Brutal result. Edler and Garrison played badly, too many turnovers that resulted in goals. 0-7 on the PP. Really ticks me off, because the way the Sedins talk about how important it is to get on the PP, so they can get some offense and score goals. Well, seems like the PP doesn't even matter. At least it didn't last night. Then hitting 5 posts, geez. I almost changed the channel in the 3rd when San Jose got their 4th. This team is in some trouble if they don't figure out how to play better defense and generate some scoring. .500 hockey will not get them into the playoffs.

So, Marleau's got 9 goals so far, and how many do the Sedins have? Yep, 2 between them. Brutal. I know we can't really blame Schneids either, but really - he's got a .897 save % and a 3.13 GAA. Not good enough.

vCash
    That's the problem with Canucks management: they think because Booth and Kesler would make the team better that's good enough. With or without them we don't have a competitive second line and haven't had for a while. I even include the year we led the league in scoring (piling up our goals against weak teams, and especially in our weak division). They're only hurting themselves by wanting to return to that status quo.

Right now we're working with second liners that aren't second liners.

However I have to say I like much of what I see from Schroeder. Nice playmaking, great puck sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NUCK-U View Post
    Brutal result. Edler and Garrison played badly, too many turnovers that resulted in goals. 0-7 on the PP. Really ticks me off, because the way the Sedins talk about how important it is to get on the PP, so they can get some offense and score goals. Well, seems like the PP doesn't even matter. At least it didn't last night. Then hitting 5 posts, geez. I almost changed the channel in the 3rd when San Jose got their 4th. This team is in some trouble if they don't figure out how to play better defense and generate some scoring. .500 hockey will not get them into the playoffs.

So, Marleau's got 9 goals so far, and how many do the Sedins have? Yep, 2 between them. Brutal. I know we can't really blame Schneids either, but really - he's got a .897 save % and a 3.13 GAA. Not good enough.
    Wonder if the 5 posts have something to do with getting sharp after a long layoff. I know everyone's been through a long layoff but this veteran team had few players who saw any action during the lockout.