Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I prefer what i guess I wou call a point of use tax policy, where people pay at the time and place of sale/ use of service. I prefer EZ Pass or on site landfill usage fees to income or across the board sales tax. This way, you pay the tax/ fee for what you use/ consume.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    If you aren't using the service (trash pickup), then why should you pay for it? If they charged a fee for the landfill usage I wouldn't have a problem with it since its a service that everyone uses. But not everyone will use the pickup service so it should be a usage fee.

Virginia is having a (somewhat) similar debate. Our governor wants to replace the gas tax with a sales tax increase to pay for the transportation fund. Should it be paid for the people who use it (gas tax) or by everyone (sales tax)? I believe it should be the gas tax but my governor is of a different viewpoint.

I believe usage over everyone paying should be the way to go but there is a political argument to be made for "spreading the taxation". If half the population pays twice the taxes they are more likely to hold that higher tax bill against their elected officials. Whereas all the population paying half the taxes are less likely to hold it against them.
    not trying to argue, but I still don't get what you're saying.

Does this mean I don't have to pay for fire or police? I don't want to use the police protection, therefore I shouldn't have to pay for it. The trash collection seems the same thing. Once it is decided the city will be responsible for trash collection, you pay a tax to support it if you live in the city.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    LOL,
    join the club brother! That is how Ca. cities have been managing the waste system for years now.
    wait until they make you buy the Blue recycle bin and the Green plant waste bin AND THE TRASH HAULING COMPANY GETS TO POCKET ALL THE BENEFITS OF YOUR RECYCLING EFFORTS BECAUSE THEY CLAIM THEY HAVE GIVEN THE CITY A DISCOUNT THAT SOMEHOW ISNT REFLECTED IN YOUR BILL.

Honestly,its not a big deal once you get used to it,it provides some consistency to processes, the new cans are designed for the new trucks to easily and quickly pick up, and the recycling is a benefit to the enviorment.

The city I live in has a lot of Fed up rules, regarding every last little thing, but the result is clean organized streets,almost no neighbor to neighbor problems,enough tax base to have every street in the city having a planter median with nice floral displays,huge city parks with free internet access and public computers ,on and on.
    awesome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post
    I'm evidently not understanding whats going on here, because a local government charging for local services is what they are supposed to do.

Isn't trash collecting like police or fire or sewer or any other utility or service? If the city or town has a municipal service, everyone pays for it. If the city doesn't, then people have to contract for their own service.

What am I missing here?
    I can understand charging for the service but forcing people to buy a a $75 trash can and making a rule where the lid must be on or it will be refused is ridiculous. Things like bad weather or just local idiots stealing these things could make it a nightmare.

vCash

Does this mean I don't have to pay for fire or police? I don't want to use the police protection, therefore I shouldn't have to pay for it. The trash collection seems the same thing. Once it is decided the city will be responsible for trash collection, you pay a tax to support it if you live in the city.
    There is a large difference between an emergency service and trash pickup. A service that someone will have no choice but to rely on and a service that there are several services and certainly not an emergency are miles apart.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Virginia is having a (somewhat) similar debate. Our governor wants to replace the gas tax with a sales tax increase to pay for the transportation fund. Should it be paid for the people who use it (gas tax) or by everyone (sales tax)? I believe it should be the gas tax but my governor is of a different viewpoint.
    Imo, the reason for this is simple...people freak out over gas prices, and don't care as much about sales tax. It just makes him look better to have the lower gas prices.

vCash

Because the fire and police potentially impact everybody in the community. You might not want to pay for firefighters but guess what if your house catches on fire they still have to come out and make sure it doesn't spread to people that do.... You might not want police protection but they still might have to protect other people from your actions....

As I stated above our county has a free landfill that people outside of city limits will get to use for free. Many people that are paying for this trash pickup service are gonna have to still go there anyways because they only pick up so much trash on any given week.

Why the **** should you have to pay nearly $300 a year for trash pickup when they set so many restrictions that you are still having to drive to the landfill every week anyways?

My biggest issue is what I stated earlier that they are charging city residents 3 times what the entire county was paying for waste management just 9 years ago.

Did I also mention that almost everybody on the board that passed this live outside of city limits? LOL
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 01-27-2013 at 03:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Because the fire and police potentially impact everybody in the community. You might not want to pay for firefighters but guess what if your house catches on fire they still have to come out and make sure it doesn't spread to people that do.... You might not want police protection but they still might have to protect other people from your actions....

As I stated above our county has a free landfill that people outside of city limits will get to use for free. Many people that are paying for this trash pickup service are gonna have to still go there anyways because they only pick up so much trash on any given week.

Why the **** should you have to pay nearly $300 a year for trash pickup when they set so many restrictions that you are still having to drive to the landfill every week anyways?

My biggest issue is what I stated earlier that they are charging city residents 3 times what the entire county was paying for waste management just 9 years ago.

Did I also mention that almost everybody on the board that passed this live outside of city limits? LOL
    Landfills aren't free so somebody has to pay for it. Most of them have special codes for disposing of certain waste ie special linings and such. The trash can thing I can understand unless they are going with a one person truck with one of those mechanical arms that picks ups the trash can in which case they all have to be the same.

City workers still have to be paid for benefits (health, penison or some other retirement etc) so probably the increase in cost is due to that but you have a valid point on the overall cost.

vCash
    Well, there are lots of solutions and methods to choose from for towns to enact for trash disposal. It looks like your town/city chose that one. If you don't like the choice, get involved and change the system.

BTW, they contract waste disposal, it isn't town employees. We are required to buy town stamped bags. About a $1 for a 20 gallon bag and just under $2 for a 30 gallon bags. Large items they sell a sticker. Drop off center for some items, computers, printers, batteries, etc. They recycle cans, bottles and paper. Originally, there was a town recycle bin, after the original got stolen(?) I replaced it with a Rubbermaid bin and it is accepted even though it doesn't have the town seal.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Unfortunately, everyone wont just say no and not buy 75 dollar cans and put there **** out anyway. If people ignored that kind of **** and acted like they had a set **** like that wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12