Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Should local government be allowed to force citizens to pay for county/city services?

The city where I live recently made it to where everybody within city limits has to comply to the following waste disposal/trash guidelines

- Every property owner in the city limits will pay a monthly $24 fee (It used to be $12 a month and was optional) for trash pickup to be added into their water bill.

- Residents are only allowed to use city supplied trash cans and are to be given the first one and billed $75. If they wish they can purchase 1 additional can for another $75. (It is pretty much a $25 trash can with the city logo stamped all over it).

- The cans have to be within a certain distance from and near the road. If the cans are found in the road or damaged they will be disposed and the citizen will be charged an additional $75 for a replacement trash can.

- The cans must have sealed lids or service for that week will be refused. If there are any additional bags or garbage that are not within the sealed city trash cans service for the week will be refused.

- This goes into effect on February 1st

Its bull**** in my opinion

(1) So everybody that lives in the city limits are gonna have to pay an additional $24 per month and at least $75 and for most people $150 for the cans. It doesn't matter if you generate enough trash to require the service you are still gonna have to pay.

(2) These "city" trash cans are pretty much $25 trash cans that they put their stamp on and are making people pay $75 for....

(3) If you have a big family 2 of these trash cans are not gonna do the job. My neighbors have 7 in their family and use 4 trash cans. So now they are only allowed to use 2 so he will be forced to pay for this service and still have to make trips to the dump on his own time.

(4) What is to stop them from just taking your cans and saying they are broken and making you pay $75? What if they are stolen? What about vandalism? If somebody comes down the street and bashes my trash can I'm out $75....

I don't think this is right at all especially considering all the stipulations.

vCash
    No, if you don't use the service then I see no reason why they can force you to do it. Now I don't know where you would dispose of your trash if you don't use their service unless there is a private firm that does it in your area though. So while I don't think that they have the right to make you use the service, if they provide the service then I certainly think they have the right to charge for it.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    No, if you don't use the service then I see no reason why they can force you to do it. Now I don't know where you would dispose of your trash if you don't use their service unless there is a private firm that does it in your area though. So while I don't think that they have the right to make you use the service, if they provide the service then I certainly think they have the right to charge for it.
    The county has a landfill (which is actually inside city limits lol) where you can take your trash. That is what people that live outside of city limits do and what people who didnt opt for the service done in the past.

They started Monday morning and went around to every house putting one of the cans on the porch with a laminated letter of the new regulations and billing taped to the lid.
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 01-26-2013 at 10:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    The county has a landfill where you can take your trash. That is what people that live outside of city limits do and what people who didnt opt for the service done in the past.

They started Monday morning and went around to every house putting one of the cans on the porch with a laminated letter of the new regulations and billing taped to the lid.
    I don't know if it works like this in all areas but in my county you can't go to the landfill if you don't have local tags (it really doesn't get checked but a friend of mine took me who had Florida plates and he was told to leave even though I showed them my ID). So if the local landfills all around you do this then you would have to go to that landfill.

I would consider a lawsuit if they are going to require everyone to do it. I have said this in another thread but even if I'm going to do something does not make it a justification for making something illegal or required. Everyone breathes air but the government can't force me to breath. I might want to use this service but they can't make me (you) pay for it if you're not going to use it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I don't know if it works like this in all areas but in my county you can't go to the landfill if you don't have local tags (it really doesn't get checked but a friend of mine took me who had Florida plates and he was told to leave even though I showed them my ID). So if the local landfills all around you do this then you would have to go to that landfill.

I would consider a lawsuit if they are going to require everyone to do it. I have said this in another thread but even if I'm going to do something does not make it a justification for making something illegal or required. Everyone breathes air but the government can't force me to breath. I might want to use this service but they can't make me (you) pay for it if you're not going to use it.
    Well like what I was saying above was that everybody will still be able to use the county landfill. My neighbor is gonna have to use the landfill because he is only allowed to have 2 trash cans which isn't enough for his large family. So he is gonna have to pay the $300 a year and still have to make weekly trips to the landfill. From his point of view he is gonna have to go to the landfill weekly anyways why the hell should he have to pay for a half*** service that is actually to his disadvantage.

Its a big deal right now and there will be lawsuits. I'm gonna get all the information on Monday in writing so that I can write people about it during the week.

vCash
    LOL,
    join the club brother! That is how Ca. cities have been managing the waste system for years now.
    wait until they make you buy the Blue recycle bin and the Green plant waste bin AND THE TRASH HAULING COMPANY GETS TO POCKET ALL THE BENEFITS OF YOUR RECYCLING EFFORTS BECAUSE THEY CLAIM THEY HAVE GIVEN THE CITY A DISCOUNT THAT SOMEHOW ISNT REFLECTED IN YOUR BILL.

Honestly,its not a big deal once you get used to it,it provides some consistency to processes, the new cans are designed for the new trucks to easily and quickly pick up, and the recycling is a benefit to the enviorment.

The city I live in has a lot of Fed up rules, regarding every last little thing, but the result is clean organized streets,almost no neighbor to neighbor problems,enough tax base to have every street in the city having a planter median with nice floral displays,huge city parks with free internet access and public computers ,on and on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    LOL,
    join the club brother! That is how Ca. cities have been managing the waste system for years now.
    wait until they make you buy the Blue recycle bin and the Green plant waste bin AND THE TRASH HAULING COMPANY GETS TO POCKET ALL THE BENEFITS OF YOUR RECYCLING EFFORTS BECAUSE THEY CLAIM THEY HAVE GIVEN THE CITY A DISCOUNT THAT SOMEHOW ISNT REFLECTED IN YOUR BILL.

Honestly,its not a big deal once you get used to it,it provides some consistency to processes, the new cans are designed for the new trucks to easily and quickly pick up, and the recycling is a benefit to the enviorment.

The city I live in has a lot of Fed up rules, regarding every last little thing, but the result is clean organized streets,almost no neighbor to neighbor problems,enough tax base to have every street in the city having a planter median with nice floral displays,huge city parks with free internet access and public computers ,on and on.
    Our city has the worst money management in the world. That is why I'm so ticked off because I know the money will either go to waste or be spent to pay off debts from their careless spending. I wouldn't be mad if I thought it was actually gonna benefit the community.

The positions they have for the schools are flat out laughable. No joke only about half of the people that work at the city schools are actually teachers.

vCash
    Our city has the worst money management in the world. That is why I'm so ticked off because I know the money will either go to waste or be spent to pay off debts from their careless spending. I wouldn't be mad if I thought it was actually gonna benefit the community.

The positions they have for the schools are flat out laughable. No joke only about half of the people that work at the city schools are actually teachers.
    You might want to consider getting involved in the community and running for whatever position affects these types of decisions and get rid of them that way.

vCash
    Not a chance. Its a small town and the same people have ran this town for decades. We have had most of the same sheriff, commissioners and judges for 20-30 years. That is something that is very crappy about this situation is that the board that decides these matters is made up almost entirely of people who live outside of city limits and don't have to pay for the changes they passed....

vCash
    I just pulled up a document that showed the county end of year expenses for 2004. It said that they paid what amounted to $112 per person for waste disposal. That is per person for the entire county. Now they are having people inside the city limits alone pay $284 a year? Just 9 years later.... And that isn't including the $75 per trash can they are charging and making money on as well.

vCash
    Not a chance. Its a small town and the same people have ran this town for decades. We have had most of the same sheriff, commissioners and judges for 20-30 years. That is something that is very crappy about this situation is that the board that decides these matters is made up almost entirely of people who live outside of city limits and don't have to pay for the changes they passed....
    It sounds like you have the means for a popular uprising then. I would capitalize on it and point out the stupidity of it all. Who knows, you might be able to make it better.

vCash
    I just pulled up a document that showed the county end of year expenses for 2004. It said that they paid what amounted to $112 per person for waste disposal. That is per person for the entire county. Now they are having people inside the city limits alone pay $284 a year? Just 9 years later.... And that isn't including the $75 per trash can they are charging and making money on as well.
    damn.
    I know how beautiful Tenn. is Bro,so I would never talk smack about it, a lot of people dont realize how impressive the landscape is,that being said, you should definitely get out there and live in some other places for a while just to experience different things.

I bounced around for DECADES (lol).the only draw back is building large groups of friends, as you get older there are less and less social opportunities in your age group, but the upside is you learn so much about so many things and you experience things people in thise sleepy hill towns couldnt even imagine.

vCash
    I'm evidently not understanding whats going on here, because a local government charging for local services is what they are supposed to do.

Isn't trash collecting like police or fire or sewer or any other utility or service? If the city or town has a municipal service, everyone pays for it. If the city doesn't, then people have to contract for their own service.

What am I missing here?

vCash
    If you aren't using the service (trash pickup), then why should you pay for it? If they charged a fee for the landfill usage I wouldn't have a problem with it since its a service that everyone uses. But not everyone will use the pickup service so it should be a usage fee.

Virginia is having a (somewhat) similar debate. Our governor wants to replace the gas tax with a sales tax increase to pay for the transportation fund. Should it be paid for the people who use it (gas tax) or by everyone (sales tax)? I believe it should be the gas tax but my governor is of a different viewpoint.

I believe usage over everyone paying should be the way to go but there is a political argument to be made for "spreading the taxation". If half the population pays twice the taxes they are more likely to hold that higher tax bill against their elected officials. Whereas all the population paying half the taxes are less likely to hold it against them.

vCash
    The one situation I think this should apply in is the EZ-Pass and things like that. I mean seriously, you take the same route to work every day and stop to pay the toll instead of rolling through at 35+ mph? It's unsafe when you have cars switching lanes at the last second because they realize they're in the wrong lane, and it slows down traffic of cars not from that area (out of state) because they have to wait in line to pay cash behind people who should have an EZ-Pass anyways, and in general slows traffic because you have some people slamming on the brakes to stop and some people who are rolling through.
    Last edited by Nymfan87; 01-27-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast