Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Phaneuf and Kessel earning their contracts so far this year...now that's leadership

vCash
    We need to tank.

A game vs this team really just sums up how far this team really is.

I don't want to make the playoffs as a fringe 8 seed. This isn't a team with any grit Dustin Browns, with Willie Mitchell, Drew Doughty, Matt Green on defense. This isn't a team with a legit #1 C like Anze Kopitar let alone an elite #2 C like Mike Richards and secondary talent like Jeff Carter and Justin Williams.

This team doesn't have a top 3 goaltender in the NHL, we'd be lucky to have a top 30 tendy.

It's a mediocre team, it's time to get rid of the Burke experiment and start fresh. Seriously I'm not really overreacting here, I've felt this way for a while. I don't mind the system actually because it emphasizes the defense a lot, but I really don't feel like there's much to look forward to.

When you compare the elite teams and their offenses.

Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Bolland.
    Marleau, Thornton, Havlat, Couture, Pavelski, Clowe.
    Gaborik, B. Richards, Callahan, Nash.
    Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Kunitz, Kennedy. (Staal traded)
    Lucic, Seguin, Krejci, Marchand, Bergeron, etc.
    Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, etc.

Most teams have built through the draft, and most elite teams have 4-5 elite players in their top 6.

Lets face it now.

Kessel is the only 1st line talent we really have on the level of Sharp, Kane, Hossa. Lupul is on that level but he has health problems, this injury was a fluke but you can't deny him getting hurt all the time, freak injury or not.

Grabo is overpaid. JVR suprisingly has been a treat to watch. We need that #1 centre that we lack.

We need to tank for Mackinnon. We need goaltending.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    I disagree. It was a good game. Not great.
    Reimer was great. The goals weren't his fault.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    Reimer was great. The goals weren't his fault.
    Yeah... Only if there was a position that got paid to stop pucks...

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    ^ I'm not sure, but isn't the draft lottery different this year? 14 teams equal chance at #1? So tanking for MacKinnon doesn't really work

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    We need to tank.

A game vs this team really just sums up how far this team really is.

I don't want to make the playoffs as a fringe 8 seed. This isn't a team with any grit Dustin Browns, with Willie Mitchell, Drew Doughty, Matt Green on defense. This isn't a team with a legit #1 C like Anze Kopitar let alone an elite #2 C like Mike Richards and secondary talent like Jeff Carter and Justin Williams.

This team doesn't have a top 3 goaltender in the NHL, we'd be lucky to have a top 30 tendy.

It's a mediocre team, it's time to get rid of the Burke experiment and start fresh. Seriously I'm not really overreacting here, I've felt this way for a while. I don't mind the system actually because it emphasizes the defense a lot, but I really don't feel like there's much to look forward to.

Most teams have built through the draft, and most elite teams have 4-5 elite players in their top 6.

Lets face it now.

Kessel is the only 1st line talent we really have on the level of Sharp, Kane, Hossa. Lupul is on that level but he has health problems, this injury was a fluke but you can't deny him getting hurt all the time, freak injury or not.

Grabo is overpaid. JVR suprisingly has been a treat to watch. We need that #1 centre that we lack.

We need to tank for Mackinnon. We need goaltending.
    We never spend the money needed or make the trades necessary to obtaining these guys. Carter, Richards, Nash, Brad Richards, Parise, Suter etc..

Were stuck in mediocrity because our drafting sucks and were scared to spend money on elite level talent. This offseason is another opportunity to pick up elite level talent possibly and we probably won't do anything either. Instead we overpay guys like Komisarek and Connolly.

We've always needed size its the biggest problem with us, everyone wanted Nash. Nash+Kessel on the first line would've been the perfect balance look at the Rangers first line. Its scary as **** because of the size, but again we were scared.

Phaneuf is also a useless bum, the guy literally is not good for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by conway429 View Post
    ^ I'm not sure, but isn't the draft lottery different this year? 14 teams equal chance at #1? So tanking for MacKinnon doesn't really work
    Good because we need Seth Jones more

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    Phaneuf and Kessel earning their contracts so far this year...now that's leadership
    you serious? kessels been doing everything but score. he's just having bad luck right now, the chances have been there.
    Dion on the other hand just sucks, slow.. barely checks anymore and can't come close to hitting the net.

Kadri needs to get more playing time, maybe put him with kessel cause that line without lupul is weak as ****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by conway429 View Post
    14 teams don't have an equal shot at top pick, they just now have an opportunity, albeit a small one, opposed to before it was only the top 5 teams that had a shot at the top pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman16 View Post
    you serious? kessels been doing everything but score. he's just having bad luck right now, the chances have been there.
    I was actually talking to my buddy last night about this, don't you all feel bad for Kessel? He's a snipe show but can't do anything with Mac and Bozak, Our #1 line sucks... the entire night our 2nd and 3rd line outplayed the 1st line, if I was kessel I'd go to another team.

Leafs, Raps, Jays, and Bills fan!

vCash
    I almost felt bad for Kessel until I remembered his $5.4 million cap hit. He's paid to score goals. Everyone knows he's a one dimentional player and the majority of people are ok with that. The problem with Kessel is when he isn't scoring he doesn't have anything else to offer.

vCash
    I was looking up the NHL leaders in +/- and had a good laugh when I saw that Dion Phaneuf was ranked 621st in the NHL. That rank gives him the worst +/- in the entire NHL. His partner Michael Kostka is ranked 620th earning his the second worst +/- in the league. Says a lot about a team when their number 1 defensive pairing is ranked dead last in the entire NHL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I almost felt bad for Kessel until I remembered his $5.4 million cap hit. He's paid to score goals. Everyone knows he's a one dimentional player and the majority of people are ok with that. The problem with Kessel is when he isn't scoring he doesn't have anything else to offer.
    Well considering Kessell is still providing the most offensive opportunities on the team, thats pretty damn good. Your going to have bad puck luck at times. Some of it is is his fault but most of it is bad luck.

He's leading the NHL in shots and is among the leader's in scoring opportunities. Thats damn good offense.

vCash

Our problem still isn't really offense (though Lupul's injury certainly hurts that significantly.

Sure most players are from teh draft though the examples you listed aren't the best ones considering the following:

Blackhawks-Sharp and Hossa are not from the draft
    Sharks-Thornton, Havlat are not from the draft
    Rangers-Nash, Gaborik and Richards are not from the draft
    Penguins-Neal, Kunitz are not from the draft
    Bruins- Got me here
    Canucks-Burrows and Higgins not from the draft.

The other issue is you can't purely build a top 6 through early picks. You need smart management. I have no problem with this team trying to win (not risking the future though at the same time). If we get a high pick, fine but we should also be developing talent outside the top 5 as well or this team will never get good.

Additionally, you listed top 6 offenses in the NHL in all liklihood as examples of elite forwards. Even considering the guys you listed a significant number of them are not elite offensive players.

The problem which I think Lavy agrees with me on this with the team is primarily on defense and primarily goaltending.

Yes Reimer got a bit screwed in this game and the offense wasn't good but generally we have awful goaltending combined with awful defense and penalty killing

vCash
    You build the core through the draft and add complimentary pieces like jrice suggested. You have to build the core through the draft and this is the part MLSE hasn't figured out yet. This team needs goaltending, #1 center, #1 d-man. Right now in the system, the Leafs might have a #1 d-man in Gardnier or Reilly. They need to draft and develope a #1 center. A goalie might be easier to sign as a UFA, but you will have to be willing to pay. The Leafs need to get lucky on a draft similar to what the Avs did when they drafted Duschene and O'Reilly in the same draft. The Leafs need to hit a homerun out side of the 1st round.

vCash
    Bolland and Higgins are elite...........

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast