Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Maybe as I'm getting older, it strikes me as something less than moral when i find myself arguing passionately why it is necessary for my favorite team to pay someone $8 million.

Why do i feel this way now but i didn't last year? I dunno, maybe a stronger sense of my own mortality?

I think you're down on baseball because of RA. IF RA was still here, you would not be so down on baseball. As for your own mortality, well i'd guess i'm a generation younger than you and I feel it, so I guess you do too. On reflection though, worrying about death is a waste of time, much better to just accept it and make the most of the time we have left.

The way in which the wealth in our nation and indeed in the entire world is distributed is completely immoral, some have billions, some are slaves, some are eating themselves to death whilst others starve. I can't see why you're picking on baseball as being a less than savory example of human wealth distribution. If you're gonna take a stand about something, get out there and soapbox about a real issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I think you're down on baseball because of RA. IF RA was still here, you would not be so down on baseball. As for your own mortality, well i'd guess i'm a generation younger than you and I feel it, so I guess you do too. On reflection though, worrying about death is a waste of time, much better to just accept it and make the most of the time we have left.

The way in which the wealth in our nation and indeed in the entire world is distributed is completely immoral, some have billions, some are slaves, some are eating themselves to death whilst others starve. I can't see why you're picking on baseball as being a less than savory example of human wealth distribution. If you're gonna take a stand about something, get out there and soapbox about a real issue.
    Like an inept baseball executive?
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    70 degrees in Tampa. Raking leaves in my T shirt.
    Damn you, damn you to hell!

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    I think of it like this, I root for the uniforms, the colors.
    I stopped worrying about what players were on my team, or how much they make.
    I don't really care, I love my 3 teams, and enjoy watching them, it's what I do to unwind at night, and Sunday afternoon.

My only concern about payroll is how it affects what my team does to get better going forward, who makes the millions doesn't matter, more power to them, I wish I was good enough to play pro ball.

When they get on t he field, our Mets winning is all that matters.

vCash
    I see MLB is going to call a balk move for the old fake to third and throw to first pick off move. I had to laugh because i think thats what Sandy's been doing to us for the last couple winters. Fake the free agent and sign from the scrap heap. Well I got a chuckle out of it when I read and drew the comparison. LOL
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Maybe as I'm getting older, it strikes me as something less than moral when i find myself arguing passionately why it is necessary for my favorite team to pay someone $8 million.

Why do i feel this way now but i didn't last year? I dunno, maybe a stronger sense of my own mortality?
    That whole issue never bothered me. If the rich baseball players weren't getting the money, the even richer owners would just be keeping it.

And athletes to me are at least incredibly skilled. Many actors/actresses get a ton of money just for looking pretty. And then there are lots of businessmen (some sleazy) who make a ridiculous amount of money too.
    Last edited by Raspy44; 01-28-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12