Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Speed Over Power

We're all trying to fill the DH spot with a power hitter and that's understandable since we lost so much power (90+ HR's) this off season. What if we change the DH mind set and make that spot into a speedy position.

Think about it, we still have a few guys that can hit the long ball, Tex, Grandy, Cano & Youk so it's not like we really need more power. But if you add someone who can steal bases and bunt than we'll have a few who can do that as well, Brett, Ichy, Jeter, the new DH & Grandy (more for stealing than bunting). We can then be a more balanced team and still score the same amount of runs that we had last year. Remember that the object of this game is to score runs and there are more ways to score a run than always counting on the HR.

My question is, who's available that can fill that role? I know that Nunez can steal but can he bunt? If so, than he'll help with some pop as well.

Your thoughts.

vCash
    A balanced lineup would be guys that do all things. Guys that just hit for power or just hit for speed isn't really that balanced at all.

Having 2/3 of our OF being no power and all speed guys is enough IMO. Not to mention we have catchers that could probably learn to bunt since they can't actually hit the ball all that well.

People will be clamoring for HRs in no time with this team.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    I would love to see this team built with more gap to gap hitters with speed and great D. A group who hit 20-25 hr., are really tough to strike out, are great situational hitters and can all run a little with some flat out burners like Gardner.
    When we had guys like Damon or Knoblauch leading off, stealing bases and DH-ing, it was great to watch.
    I would love that.
    Unfortunately , with the aging team and giant contracts, I'm guessing this will be a team who once again survives via the long ball. I personally think it's boring as hell to watch this team the last bunch of years but until people retire or are gone, it's my guess that the DH will be a power guy.
    At least for another couple years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I would love to see this team built with more gap to gap hitters with speed and great D. A group who hit 20-25 hr., are really tough to strike out, are great situational hitters and can all run a little with some flat out burners like Gardner.
    When we had guys like Damon or Knoblauch leading off, stealing bases and DH-ing, it was great to watch.
    I would love that.
    Unfortunately , with the aging team and giant contracts, I'm guessing this will be a team who once again survives via the long ball. I personally think it's boring as hell to watch this team the last bunch of years but until people retire or are gone, it's my guess that the DH will be a power guy.
    At least for another couple years
    We are in huge trouble if this team is relying on the long ball with Gardner, Ichiro, Cervelli/Stewart and Nunez getting a ton of at bats.

Our team only has 3 actual power hitters currently.

vCash
    I know that people will be asking for HR's but if the Yankees are winning, the people will be satisfied with what they have.
    As far as balance, IMO, the Yankees are a pretty balanced team. We have guys who can steal, others who hit for power and a bunch that can hit for average. Our lowest batting averages are going to come from Grandy and Tex but they have pop to supplement that. Youk, Jeter, Cano and Ichy will hit for average, Gardner can probably hit about .270, which is respectable as long as he steals bases and gives us good defense. The biggest questions will be the catchers and the DH. If there isn't a power hitting DH out there then I say go with speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    We are in huge trouble if this team is relying on the long ball with Gardner, Ichiro, Cervelli/Stewart and Nunez getting a ton of at bats.

That's why I say let's not rely so much on the long ball and lets get some runners since there isn't any power hitters left to get. Barring injury, Youk should be able to hit 25 HR's since he did hit 19 last year with only 438 AB's. That then gives us the 4th power hitter we need.

vCash
    News flash: Everyone is a power hitter in YS.

Itchy will hit 15.
    3b will combine for 25.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerminator View Post
    That's why I say let's not rely so much on the long ball and lets get some runners since there isn't any power hitters left to get. Barring injury, Youk should be able to hit 25 HR's since he did hit 19 last year with only 438 AB's. That then gives us the 4th power hitter we need.
    Thats not really what I was getting at. I was just saying that the team won't be relying on the long ball since at least a third of the lineup has no power. I do think they need another guy with some power.

And barring injury is a pretty huge leap for Youkilis. I think we need to go into the season expecting him to miss 40 games considering he's missed at least that much 3 years in a row now.

vCash
    What this team needs is players who can hit for a higher average than .250. Without looking back the only names that did last year were Jeter, Cano, and Ichiro for half a season. You do need a mixture throughout the lineup. I just don't see how putting Nunez at DH and Cervelli at C solves anything.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post

I think we are in trouble. The guys you mentioned are good situational hitters, even cervelli because he knows that is how he can help. But the big bats i the middle? And when Aron is back and he's the primary DH and Nunez is just a bench player? That doesn't bode well IMO.
    We play station to station and if we don't change that, we are screwed. I hope Nunez gets tons of at bats. I hope they use him as Dh if he's not playing in the field.
    I was unsuccessfully trying to say that i think this teams philosophy needs to change but may not because of the older guys. We need people who are hungry to do whatever it takes to win and power numbers have an importance of course but not over or in lieu of the other qualities of a good hitting team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    News flash: Everyone is a power hitter in YS.

Itchy will hit 15.
    3b will combine for 25.
    Sauron's not.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Sauron's not.
    Youkadoosh in the sig. Funny.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerminator View Post
    We're all trying to fill the DH spot with a power hitter and that's understandable since we lost so much power (90+ HR's) this off season. What if we change the DH mind set and make that spot into a speedy position.

Think about it, we still have a few guys that can hit the long ball, Tex, Grandy, Cano & Youk so it's not like we really need more power. But if you add someone who can steal bases and bunt than we'll have a few who can do that as well, Brett, Ichy, Jeter, the new DH & Grandy (more for stealing than bunting). We can then be a more balanced team and still score the same amount of runs that we had last year. Remember that the object of this game is to score runs and there are more ways to score a run than always counting on the HR.

My question is, who's available that can fill that role? I know that Nunez can steal but can he bunt? If so, than he'll help with some pop as well.

Your thoughts.
    Gardy, Jete, and Ichy will take care of the bunting duties. Nunez if he plays. I could also see Eduardo taking 150-200 AB's at DH. Especially with A-rod out for at least half the year, and no other real viable options on the team atm. I don't recall Grandy bunting too often in his Yankee career.

The five mentioned above will be your base stealers..maybe a little bit of Cervelli thrown in there. Cisco could bunt for them as well.

I actually think this years team is far more balanced. Tex, Cano, Grandy, Youk/A-rod, future DH will take care of the power hitting.

I see them signing Hafner or Thome vs righties. Maybe Luke Scott. Nunez vs lefties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombers88 View Post
    What this team needs is players who can hit for a higher average than .250. Without looking back the only names that did last year were Jeter, Cano, and Ichiro for half a season. You do need a mixture throughout the lineup. I just don't see how putting Nunez at DH and Cervelli at C solves anything.
    Nunez can hit. I don't understand why people don't see that. Get him 600 PAs, and he will hit .280 with 12-15 homers and probably steal 50 bases.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Nunez can hit. I don't understand why people don't see that. Get him 600 PAs, and he will hit .280 with 12-15 homers and probably steal 50 bases.
    Nunez is going to at the major league level something he's never been able to do in the minors? He's never hit more than 9 HRs in a season at any level and he's never stolen more than 29 bases in a season.

Which one is Nunez and which one is Cervelli?

491 ML at bats: .272/.318/.384, 7 HR
    562 ML at bats: .271/.339/.353, 5 HR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast