Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Even though I am a democrat, I try to tell myself Republicans are just like me, we just disagree on issue.

But more and more often, I see stuff like this, and I feel like this party has a disproportionate amount of bad people at the top. Legitimate bad human beings.

vCash
    Yup, there sure are some bad Republitards (term used advisedly) doing some unbelievable **** and getting away with due to their positions. How does this judge nit-picking the Constitution grab ya?

Unprecedented – Republican Judge Ignores 100 Years Of History To Rule Against Obama

For over a century, presidents have been making recess appointments to get around opposition party filibusters of important positions within their administration. There has been squawking about this from both sides of the aisle and even the odd legal challenge but no one seriously tried to put a stop to it. Until Judge David Sentelle, that is.

On Friday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for D.C. took the unprecedented action of overturning 3 recess appointments to the National Labor Relations Board. This would invalidate every decision made by the board since those appointments were made in January of 2012. The decision was based on a reading of the Constitution that relied on splitting hairs so finely, it’s a wonder that Sentelle did not cleave through the laws of time and space. Via Slate:

What we’re looking at here is this clause from Article II of the Constitution:

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

As Sentelle framed it, “the Recess” cannot ever mean anything like “a recess.” “This is not an insignificant distinction,” he writes. “In the end it makes all the difference.” The Framers were not talking about “a generic break in the proceedings,” Sentelle continues, “Either the Senate is in session, or it is in the recess. If it has broken for three days within an ongoing session, it is not in ‘the Recess.’ ” The upshot is that if the opposing party minority says the Senate is in session, then it does not matter where the flock has fled, or even for how long. The Senate Republicans did this by using their majority power in the House. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, essentially, gets to decide when the Senate is open or shut, with whatever fiction he wants. The president is at his mercy.

The power grab is as blatant as it is disturbing. The GOP has a history of blocking as many appointments as possible. The reason is twofold. First, by leaving those positions unfilled as long as possible, particularly agency heads (the ATF immediately comes to mind), the GOP can hobble or even cripple (again, the ATF comes to mind) the agency. This not only benefits the industries that would otherwise be effectively regulated (coincidentally, like those stalwart GOP supporters in the gun industry), but, in turn, becomes the GOP’s “proof” that government is inefficient and useless. This is similar to how the GOP has undermined public education; Take away the funding then complain that they can’t get the job done. Cause the problem and then profit from said problem. Nice work if you can get it.

The second reason for blocking appointments, especially to the judiciary, is that it leaves those positions open for a Republican president to fill with hard-core ideologues. This is a long-term cancer that has been eating our country for over thirty years. For instance, without the radical ideologues Scalia and Thomas on the Supreme Court, Bush would not have been handed the presidency after losing the election and Citizens United would not have allowed corporations and the rich to try and buy elections (sure, it didn’t work out for them in 2012 but if you think they won’t refine the process until they can decide the outcome at their leisure, you’re insane). Charles Pierce at Esquire puts it best:

The next time I hear some lefty mooing about the president’s having let down the side on something or another, it better be about something of substance, like the Keystone XL pipeline, or I’m going to boot said lefty’s hindquarters in the general direction of the federal appeals court of the District Of Columbia, which today laid down the most singular piece of partisan hackery to come out of a court since Antonin Scalia picked the previous president. For precise legal analysis, I’ll leave it to Scott at LG&M to explain. This, children, is what you get when you operate politically under the theory that They’re All The Same. You get 20 or 30 years of primarily Republican judges acting primarily as Republicans, drawn from the legal chop-shops in the conservative movement bubble, and doing their partisan duty like performing seals.

Sentelle has been operating as an out in the open Republican since the 80s where he overturned Oliver North and John Poindexter’s conviction for their role in the Iran-Contra scandal. Sentelle also covered for Reagan by interfering with the investigation that was leading back to powerful Republicans. Just to solidify his credentials as a partisan to end all partisans, Sentelle got rid of the original special prosecutor for the Bill Clinton Whitewater non-scandal who was not going to go on a witch hunt and put Ken Starr on it instead. Ken Starr, of course, used his office for the sole purpose of character assassination on behalf of the GOP. Pierce gives a more detailed history of Sentelle’s career of insulting the concept of a blind justice, I encourage you to read it.

The case will, in all likelihood, be heard by the Supreme Court. It will be interesting to see if Scalia and Thomas, along with the other three conservative justices, will “suddenly” decide that recess appointments are unconstitutional, at least until a Republican is back in the White House…
    (my bold with reference to the 2000 election!)

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/01...against-obama/

vCash
    Tennessee had the same stuff going on for years under the Democrats. Jimmy Naifeh was Speaker of the House and always kept anything conservative from even coming for a vote by ignoring calls from the House floor or whatever he can do. Honestly, this stuff is nothing new as Democrats kept strangle holds on state houses through gerrymandering and etc. even as the GOP kept winning the White House, Dems were able to control the states. Right or wrong, parties do what they can to stay in control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjazzno12fan View Post
    Tennessee had the same stuff going on for years under the Democrats. Jimmy Naifeh was Speaker of the House and always kept anything conservative from even coming for a vote by ignoring calls from the House floor or whatever he can do. Honestly, this stuff is nothing new as Democrats kept strangle holds on state houses through gerrymandering and etc. even as the GOP kept winning the White House, Dems were able to control the states. Right or wrong, parties do what they can to stay in control.
    I don't think an equivalency solves the problem though. Is something bad justified because someone else did it before? I think we all need to take a stand and proclaim that "constituents pick their politicians...politicians don't pick their constituents".

I think a bipartisan commission that is mandated by law to be split between all parties and any party that can reach a certain threshold in some form is entitled to some level of representation on the commission. For instance, if the threshold is set at 5% in the previous presidential election, then if the libertarian candidate gets 6%, then his party would be entitled to representation on the commission. I think you have to set some reasonable threshold or the committee will be made up of all people who just have too much time on their hands and don't want to fix the problem.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    Yup, there sure are some bad Republitards (term used advisedly) doing some unbelievable **** and getting away with due to their positions. How does this judge nit-picking the Constitution grab ya?

(my bold with reference to the 2000 election!)

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/01...against-obama/
    Thanx for the post. I wondered if the judge had an agenda or not. Good to know that was the case. Makes if more likely that he gets reversed, doesn't it?

vCash
    Good. Democrats are ruining this country, and we need to get it back under control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCrew5 View Post
    Good. Democrats are ruining this country, and we need to get it back under control.
    What on earth?

You can't really expect anyone to take you seriously when you say things like this, can you?
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    If you can't win enough votes legitimately, cheat. It's becoming the mantra of the Gerrymandering Old Party.
    You really think the Republicans are the only ones who do this????

Really???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post

Really???
    Trying to Gerry Mander the NATIONAL election for the president in Swing States? Thats a whole new level of low.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    Trying to Gerry Mander the NATIONAL election for the president in Swing States? Thats a whole new level of low.
    Is it as low as buying votes by giving out free cell phones or putting more people on food stamps than the entire population of Canada or Australia????

Is it that low????

Both parties do whatever it takes and both parties set records for new "lows" all the time.

vCash

Really???
    Nobody has tried to claim that the Reps are the only ones to 'cheat' . But, what is abundantly clear, is that the Reps have now (in recent times) taken 'cheating' to a whole new level.

Without the partisan intervention of his brother, and of extreme conservative Supreme Court justices, Dubya would never have been president, and the last decade or so might have been very different - I say 'might' because you never know.....

Without the disgraceful, undemocratic, gerrymandering that has become the norm for US politics, it would not be possible for the Reps to control the House on a minority of popular votes.

And then there's the equally disgraceful Rep. ploy of 'arranging' that suspected Dem. voters have to spend way more time to cast their votes -
    Hours after President Barack Obama declared that the nation needs to fix the problem of long lines at the voting booth, a survey by Hart Research, commissioned by the AFL-CIO, found that minorities and Democrats were more likely to experience long wait times than others.

Nearly a quarter of blacks -- 24 percent -- and Hispanics -- 22 percent -- reported waiting in line more than 30 minutes, compared to 9 percent of whites. Obama voters were nearly twice as likely as Romney voters to face long lines, at 16 percent to 9 percent
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2047724.html

It is absurd and insane that in any system that likes to call itself, 'democratic', the leader who has been elected by a majority of 4.7m votes, cannot 'govern' and pass legislation in the traditional sense because of a legislature that has been loaded against him by these shameful methods of cheating the will of the people.

I don't believe that 'checks and balances' was intended to cover outright cheating and manipulation.

vCash
    Is it as low as buying votes by giving out free cell phones or putting more people on food stamps than the entire population of Canada or Australia????

Is it that low????

Both parties do whatever it takes and both parties set records for new "lows" all the time.
    This post should disqualify you from taking part in any serious discussion. You have simply bought into Faux news disinformation, lies, and outright male cow dung.

vCash
    This post should disqualify you from taking part in any serious discussion. You have simply bought into Faux news disinformation, lies, and outright male cow dung.
    Please point out the "Faux news disinformation, lies, and outright male cow dung."

vCash
    Please point out the "Faux news disinformation, lies, and outright male cow dung."
    The Tea Party Victory Fund, a super PAC, released a misleading ad recently implying that President Barack Obama was passing out free phones to gain votes.

"Keep Obama in president…he gave us a phone," an African-American woman in Ohio says repeatedly in the black-and-white video.

The text that appears over a talking woman in the video blames Obama for job loss and the national debt.

But as The New York Times notes in an editorial, the Obama administration does not pass out free phones for votes. There is a national program that provides low-income people with free or discounted phones, but it was started under George W. Bush, Obama's Republican predecessor.

And the idea for subsidized phone service, notes liberal blog Think Progress, originated under the Ronald Reagan administration after the breakup of AT&T. The program is paid for by telecommunications companies through the nonprofit Universal Service Administrative Company, not through taxpayer revenue.

The Drudge Report and other conservative pundits and sites promoted the video as evidence that Obama supporters are dependent on the government for handouts, and now the Tea Party Victory Fund, has used it in a political ad.

"The ad fits into the narrative that minorities are moochers and that government programs transfer wealth from white people to black people," read the Times piece. "If it shows anything in microcosm, it's that the Tea Party learned from the Southern Strategy."
    http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/...ry?id=17507339

That's right! Congress gave her a "FREE" cellphone. The Republican Newt Gingrich lead Congress of 1996 to be exact. This is the same program that has been funded and expanded by both Democratic and Republican controlled administrations and houses of Congress.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...ma-Phone-Video

My bold added for emphasis to highlight the purely party political Rep. lies about this program. Have a look at the charts here and you will see that the suggestion that Obama has used food stamps as a deliberate way of 'buying' votes is exactly what I referred to above, namely "Faux news disinformation, lies, and outright male cow dung," since a very large chunk of the recipients of this non-partisan government program that goes back to the 70's reside in Rep states!

It is true that the current number of food stamp recipients is indeed greater than the population of many countries, but you offer that irrelevant stat as an entirely wrong way of making a party political point, suggesting as you do that this is some kind of Dem. conspiracy to "buy" or "bribe" people to support Obama, whereas the real commentary should be about the failure of US capitalism to adequately enable people to earn enough to feed themselves and their families! Incidentally, the issuing of food stamps has only decreased during one year this century. Food stamps have had to increase year by year for decades now because in the wonderful USA, children starve and millions are unable to 'earn' enough of a living that will properly feed themselves and their families, a general trend that dramatically worsened after the greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression was bequeathed to Obama by the idiot from Texas. Meanwhile, those who are doing just fine expect to eat out numerous times each week, spending more on one meal than poor people are able to spend all week.

Funny how we never hear anything from the wrong wing about the enormous farm subsidies that mainly Rep. farmers have been collecting from the gubmint for decades. That's ok, that doesn't "buy" votes, but feeding people on $1 a day is "buying" votes!? This is pretty much in a nutshell why anyone capable of rational thought recognizes the utter hypocrisy of your original point, to which I responded with the words that you quoted.

vCash
    Nobody has tried to claim that the Reps are the only ones to 'cheat' . But, what is abundantly clear, is that the Reps have now (in recent times) taken 'cheating' to a whole new level.

Without the disgraceful, undemocratic, gerrymandering that has become the norm for US politics, it would not be possible for the Reps to control the House on a minority of popular votes.

And then there's the equally disgraceful Rep. ploy of 'arranging' that suspected Dem. voters have to spend way more time to cast their votes.
    I think screwing with the districts and spliting up the EC votes is pretty low. You can stack the deck in different ways but Republicans are going with Ace's it seems.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast