Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Stomach Churning move in Virginia state Senate

Republicans are consistently the party of, "if we can come up with enough anti-democratic schemes to win the election, even though we get a minority of the votes, let's do it." If you want further evidence of GOP sleeze, just consider what happened this past Monday in the Virginia state senate:

The state senate in Virginia is divided 20-20 between Democrats and Republicans. On Monday, state Senator Henry L. Marsh III (a Democrat) attended Obama's inauguration. On that day . . .

Quote:
    Without notice Monday, Senate Republicans took up a bill that had called for minor “technical adjustments” to House district lines and amended it on the floor so that it changed lines for all 40 Senate seats. The bill created a new majority-black district but also made at least eight other districts more heavily Republican.
    Without delay, the senate vote was held, and it passed along strict party lines, 20-19.

The effect of this bill? It will change the outcome of the next Virginia election such that instead of there being a 20-20 tie in the state senate, there will instead be a 27-13 Republican supermajority. That's right, folks. Virginia is an evenly-split state. But the GOP think that if they can get away with a dirty trick like this one, they can create a supermajority that can pass any bill it wants.

And guess what bill they plan on passing once they have this supermajority? The Virginia GOP wants to change the rules for awarding electoral college votes from "winner take all" to awarding votes based on the outcomes of each of Virginia's Congressional districts. Once the newly-created GOP supermajority gets done with congressional redistricting, the state in which Obama won all 13 electoral votes in 2012 would instead split those votes 9 to the GOP candidate and 4 to the Democratic candidate. Even a Democrat who wins 60% of the popular vote in Virginia is going to win only 4 electoral votes.

And that, my friends, tells you everything you need to know about the new, improved Republican party. Who fvcking cares about the "will of the people" when the system can be manipulated such that the GOP can win elections regardless of how few votes it attracts?

But I'm sure our hard-right forum members think this disgusting power grab is just fine.
    http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...nate-democrats

good god man
    Last edited by waveycrockett; 01-27-2013 at 09:29 AM.

vCash
    McDonnell will veto that one. He wants to run for President in 2016, and the Dems will grill him for that one if he signs that. I can't respect this move.

vCash
    I like how they waited to vote on this when an elected official who was a civil rights leader was in DC for the inauguration and then convened the session in honor of Stonewall Jackson.

I truly apologize for my state. If Democrats were doing this I would speak out against my party. Gerrymandering is never right and not acceptable.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    There are some here who don't like me saying this, but really....only in America.

There are no words to describe how shameful this is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    There are some here who don't like me saying this, but really....only in America.

There are no words to describe how shameful this is.
    Not defending this move. But this is hardly only in America.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Not defending this move. But this is hardly only in America.
    I am not aware of any other western democracy (which are the only countries to compare with) where 'shenanigans' like this, or gerrymandering, or filibustering could occur. Such actions would be illegal, and impossible anywhere else. Unless you know better?

Before anyone points it out, yes, some British parliamentary constituencies have been redrawn from time to time, but I believe this is done by bipartisan committee.

vCash
    Just another example that the two-party system in our country is a ****ing joke.... The political parties and big businesses make their own rules and allow everybody else to think that their opinion somehow matters.

vCash
    I didn't realize the old link didn't work so I put up the new working one thank god Bill Bolling didn't go along with it

vCash
    If you can't win enough votes legitimately, cheat. It's becoming the mantra of the Gerrymandering Old Party.
    I'm going to list ALEC in credits as associate producer of creating horrifying things for us to talk about -John Oliver

People who think the least powerful members of society are responsible for most of its problems are deluded, at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    I didn't realize the old link didn't work so I put up the new working one thank god Bill Bolling didn't go along with it

Politicians with any desire to represent a larger constituency know that this would cling to them like the plague and I'm glad they are smart enough to see that so the knuckleheads that are only guided by their own ideology don't get to make all the rules.

vCash
    So electoral voting will become the same battle that redistricting in the House has become.

It's all games and lobbyist money. There's no real politics anymore. In the words of George Carlin "Good honest hard-working people continue, these are people of modest means, continue to elect these rich **** suckers who don’t give a **** about you….they don’t give a **** about you… they don’t give a **** about you. At all. AT ALL."

vCash
    It is pretty funny when you think about it because this has to be looked at as a concession that the Republican Party knows they cannot win the Presidency without cheating and stacking the deck in their favor anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    It is pretty funny when you think about it because this has to be looked at as a concession that the Republican Party knows they cannot win the Presidency without cheating and stacking the deck in their favor anymore.
    They seem willing and even eager to cede national control for state control because they think it will help them and not punish them.

Liberals tend to live in more urban areas and close together and they're using that to gerrymander them into less districts. It is going to bite them in the *** and Republicans that want to compete nationally are wiseing up to this.

vCash
    Since this topic is at least in part a commentary on the behavior of (some) Republicans, you all may be interested in this very interesting, new, national survey about 'The State of the Republican Party'. The only thing I really found shocking is the extent to which the goddamn NRA is still held in 'esteem' by so many. Bizarre, when taken together with some of the other findings. See what you think and feel free to re-post in any other topic where it may be useful.

http://www.democracycorps.com/attach...litical.v6.pdf

vCash
    Jesus...this is ridiculous.

Pretty disgusting that this is something that happens in "politics."

NFC North: Leading the League in Stupid.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast